Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Temple , Texas
Wink Howdy! From An Ol' Ag!

Just retired 4 days ago, and am now turning my attention to the '76 Overlander I have parked in my backyard. I've had it for a year now, and hope to take it out for the first time this weekend for a short excursion to Lake Fork in NE Texas (about 200 miles from home). My wife, Mary, and I hope to make several short trips over the next year so we and the Airstream can get better aquainted.
Mary (poor soul) has another whole year to go till her retirement and then we expect to greatly expand our travels. We are excited about getting to know the Airstream community. This forum and others make us feel we will be warmly welcomed.

The '76 twin bed, rear bath is in real good shape and everything has been checking out, except the UniVolt does not seem to be charging the battery while the trailer is plugged into AC. Can someone tell me where the UniVolt is located on this model and how to get to it to test it? Does it need to be plugged into an AC outlet itself? If so, where? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And for those non-Texans out there, "Ol' Ag!" means a Texas A&M University Former Student, Class of '80.
--
Dr. E
Dr. E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
welcome and congrats! When plugged in , put a voltmeter on your battery and see wha you get.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
eugene , Oregon
hey and howdy dr. e and gig'em!! i grew up in college station. my Dad founded the o & m department there and my youngest son was in the corps and graduated last aug.
these forums are incredible...you can get help on anything. good luck on getting your AS out and about ...ya gonna get real hooked!!!
janetbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Dr. E, welcome to the forums! We're envious of your new job. At 54 I tell everyone, "I've finally figured out what I want to be....RETIRED!" The only thing between me and retirement is MONEY.....
A good multimeter is going to be an asset when dealing with your Airstream. As your trailer has been sitting for some time the battery may be toast. First thing to do is to check the battery leads when plugged in. If you've got a charge current then the battery connection is next. Then it's likely time for a new battery.
If you don't have a charge current then it's back here and hopefully someone with a similar unit will have posted the location of that darned little hummer.... or you could follow the hum....
Let us know what resolves the trouble.... so many ask...so few report back.
Best of luck on your travels!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums and to retirement. Darn those wives who have to keep working but it gives us more time to work on the Airstream.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Welcome to the forum

If you are interested in the Airstream Club, we have the fastest growing and most active unit in Region 9 (TX/OK). We have 5 scheduled unit rallies a year plus informal rallies, the Region 9 Rally, and the International Rally. Most of our members are from the Austin general area, but we have members from as far away as Houston and Glen Rose. We feel that we are an example of what a WBCCI unit can be.

Our unit has scheduled a "Vintage Rally" at Haven's Landing, Montgomery, TX for the end of January 2007. All Airstreamers, regardless of WBCCI membership, are invited. We had 50 rigs and over 20 vintage rigs at our 2006 vintage rally and we hope to have close to 100 rigs at the 2007 rally. We'll have pot lucks, seminars, dealer displays, entertainment, a catered meal (BBQ or catfish), and lots of opportunity for getting to know fellow Airstreamers.

Our website is http://www.wbregion9.org/txhlunit.html
and the Region 9 website (I'm the webmaster) is http://www.wbregion9.org
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
Falls City , Texas
Thumbs up Farmers Fight!....Whoop!

Welcome, Dr. E. from 2 Ol' Ags: Rick- Class of '91, and Lisa- Class of '93; and 4 Future Ags. Be very careful-- the silver sickness is very contagious. If you're not travelling w/ the A/S, then you're working on it, or at least talking about it. Between our work schedules and the ranching life [drought ] we take ours out to the Frio several times/ yr, but mostly to cattle shows and sales. Congrats on retirement. I've got 10 more yrs until I get there, but do cattle men ever retire? Blessings in all your endeavors....
campw/4sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Temple , Texas
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and good advice. ...I think I'm coming down with aluminitis. I understand it is not fatal, but is permanent.

I finally located the UniVolt behind the fuse board which is behind the oven. Used a small mirror on a stick to see behind the fuse board. Also used a multimeter to test voltage at the battery with and without AC connected. There was a small increase in voltage with the AC connected which suggests the UniVolt is producing a small trickle charge, so I'm not pursuing it any further.
Dr. E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
Are there enough Ol' Ags to have a poll? I'm not an Ol' Ag, yet I have strong ties to Texas A&M .
It's good to hear from Ol' Ags!
Anita
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote