Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 AM   #1

1983 31' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Smile Hi ya'll

As you can tell, from where i'm posting, I (we) are new memebers here.
By way of introduction my mane is Walt, and my wifes name is Sue. We're from SE Georgia (Brunswick to be exact) and as of yer have not purchased an Airstream, but we are considering a 1983 31' Limited which seems to be in excellent condition. We were first introduced to Airstreams by friends of ours, and they heve convinced us that we shouldn't even consider anything BUT an Airstream, and based on what i have seen so far, they're absolutely correct.

The trailer is bigger than we had originally considered purchasing, but it's being sold locally (sure is convenient), it's in excellent condition, and the price seems to be right Not only that....the same friends also said it won't be long before we'd be looking to buy bigger, so why not start there-lol.

It seems as tho you (and soon to be we-if all goes well) Airstreamers are a real tight bunch and are more than willing to be helpful to newbies like us. Thats rather comforting to me, i just hope i don't make a pest of myself asking too many questions.

Good to meet yas

Walt & Sue
Jags411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:49 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Welcome to the Forums Walt and Sue Who says a 31' is too big...I think they are just right (of course I may be biased)

There is almost always a lively discussion of some type going on around here. The search button is probably the easiest way to find what you need, if you can't find an answer to you specfic question ask away and someone either will direct you in the right direction or will know the answer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags411
i just hope i don't make a pest of myself asking too many questions.
one can never ask too many questions.....welcome to the forum.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Welcome to the Forums!!

Quote:
The trailer is bigger than we had originally considered purchasing.....
Walt and Sue...

Welcome to the Forums -

As Wahoonc indicated, you will find the "search" function invaluable.

There are several Forum "camping" functions in your area each year - you should try to make one of them ...if you are new to trailer camping a plea for help for a "first" camping trip would probably be responded to.

What type of tow vehicle (TV) and weight distributing hitch are you planning to use?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:36 AM   #5

1983 31' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
87 MH
Thanks for your response
Therein lies the problemI currently don't have a TV (all these new terms to learn)-lol
I do have a 1997 Ford F-150 with a 4.6l and a tow package, but i'm sure that wouldn't be adequate to tow for any distance (I may be able to get it home...it's only 5 miles from here

The trailer we're looking at has a Reese hitch....what are your thoughts on that?

I've heard a lot about Henley (sp?) hitches, but i'm not sure that would be necessary. The current owner has told me he has no problems pulling it with the Reese, and the Henleys are pretty pricey
Jags411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Reese hitch....what are your thoughts on that?I've heard a lot about Henley (sp?) hitches, but i'm not sure that would be necessary. The current owner has told me he has no problems pulling it with the Reese, and the Henleys are pretty pricey
IMHO, the Reese dual cam is a great hitch....the Hensleys are really good and really expensive -

The best advice we can give you here is to inform yourself as much as possible about a safe tow hookup - combo of trailer, hitch, and Tow Vehicle.

There are many, many threads here and on other silmilar Forums about "appropriate" rigging and combinations.

Please err on the side of safety - but you will have to make your own decision on just what brand to purchase as far as the manufacturer of your trailer/hitch/TV combo goes - but you should first of all do enough research so you can make an intelligent decision. Make sure you understand terms such as GCWR, GVWR, Axle Ratings, and others, and where the closest vehicle scale is. Actually weigh the trailer and Tow Vehicle separately if possible prior to purchase (you might be surprised at what the weight REALLY is as opposed to what "they" say it is), and leave allowances for food, fuel, water, "stuff", etc....it's amazing how quickly everything adds up. Don't forget to go to the scales again after you are hooked up to determine the appropriate linkage (adjustment) for the weight distributing hitch - scale readings are cheap - usually 10 bucks or less for the first reading, and a buck or so thereafter for "adjustment" readings - go at an "off" time - like Sunday morning when there are few 18 wheelers around and the scale operator will probably be more that helpful in getting you through your first experience. Lots of threads here in the Forums that go into detail about each of the above suggestions.

On the tow vehicle - the Ford/GM/Chrysler debate continues - and will probably continue to do so as long as the "big three" exist (despite the recent Germanic takeover of the smallest of the trio). Each brand manufactures at least one appropriate Tow Vehicle for each of the models offered by Airstream.

Luck

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Welcome to the Club!!

We felt the same way about the '31.

Havefun!

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:42 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
.....Therein lies the problemI currently don't have a TV (all these new terms to learn)-lol
I do have a 1997 Ford F-150 with a 4.6l and a tow package, but i'm sure that wouldn't be adequate to tow for any distance (I may be able to get it home...it's only 5 miles from here......
I'm a Ford guy myself. I have the 1997 F150, 4.2 V6, five speed manual tranny with a tow package. Beleive it or not, we pulled our Overlander home over 200 miles when we bought it. This is NOT something I would recommend. At the time, it was the only option I had.

About 6 months later, I bought a 1998 F150, 5.6 V8, Auto tranny with tow package. That'll last a few years until I can afford a 3/4 ton F250. We don't intend to be doing any "cross country" stuff in the near future. Short trips only, really.

Welcome to the 'forums, by the way. Never been to Brunswick,but I do love the stew!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote