Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Hi there!

Hello everyone! My wife and I are in the initial stage of shopping for a trailer. We have been attracted to the Airstreams for many years, and are now looking to acquire one. While my main interest is sucking as much information from this site as is possible, I hope to be able to contribute as well!
We are of an advanced stage of life and she will be using the unit for a base for her photography at horse shows and attendance at dog shows, but we will also be using it for enhancing our life experiences as we go forward.
I am encouraged by the tenor of the forum so far!

Best regards, Spike Cornelius
Portland, OR
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Glad to have you, Are you looking for an older one or newer, Looking to do lots or remodeling or get right to camping?

Both have there rewards.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Smile Welcome

Good luck in your quest for that perfect AS. There's lots of good information here so enjoy.
Jim
Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Welcome

Greetings

It was only a short time ago that I was in your shoes. Welcome! An Airstream is a unique trailer for sure and timeless too. Old or new, there is so much to learn. I shared recently that I wish I would have searched more about the older units. I like mine but there are some really neat older ones too. Some people on here have their own fleet!
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Spike, we're glad to have you with us. Be a sponge and absorb all you can. If you don't find what you're looking for then ask away. There really are no dumb questions.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for the welcome! We are looking for a vintage trailer from around the 70's or 80's, one that is pretty much ready to go. Some work is OK, I am pretty handy.
We are thinking around 25 ft., but we need to go walk around in some to see if that will be optimal. We will be traveling with three dogs as well, they are around 40# each.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Spike,
Linda and I were in your place about 18 months ago. We kept searching, reading, and listening until we found our Perfect Airstream. Yours is out there, too. Don't avoid looking at 28-30 foot units. Ours pulls like a dream, and the xtra few feet make a big difference. Another nice place to look is rvtrader.com.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We found the 25' a good size for the two of us (no pets) on very extended trips. Dogs need space, be sure all of you have a place to lounge.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Lots of luck with your search and welcome to the amazing Forums!!! Cheers
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome!

I bought an Airstream trailer in 2010 to take a trip I've been wanting to take for years. I thought I'd clean up the trailer and go on the trip. I started doing the deferred maintenance, making some minor repairs, replacing the fixtures and appliances, replacing the cabinets, counter tops, sink, faucets, plumbing, floor covering, blinds & drapes, new hitch, mud flaps, rock guard, and tires. I'm still working and I still haven't spent one night in the trailer except to check for leaks during a thunderstorm.

The refrigerator worked but my wife said she didn't like it because it had some rust on the bottom of the frame and tarnish on the shelf, so I got a new one. Then she said she wouldn't go in the trailer until I polished it. It's polished. Now she says she won't sleep in the back because there's no egress door.

I'm finishing up on the interior. Still need blinds.

I'm planning to make a new awning for the good frame I have. I'll have everything done on this trailer this fall. 2 years + about 4 months.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Best of luck to you, Spike! We bought ours one year ago this July and have never regretted it a bit! Since you're in PDX, have you visited Airstream NW to get a feel for the sizes? Sure glad we were able to walk through all of them before we made our choice.

Hope you find just what you're looking for!

-Kim (a fellow Portlander!)

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
Welcome Spike,
Good luck in your search. We bought ours about a year ago with lots of searching.
I know that when you are searching you want to look at as many as you can...if you want to come on down to Silverton to check ours out you can.
Meredith
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We are on our 3rd Airstream. We started w a 1993 29' Classic, then a 2000 30' Classic and now a 1999 28' Classic. We have loved them all for different reasons. This size range seems to suit us best, a full bedroom, walk thru bath suite, front living room/kitchen. Lots of storage for long trips. Carry a screen room/canopy for a sun room/living room/dining room during extended times in one location. We have installed wood floors and added more efficient storage in all units. So figure out how you will use it as best as possible and go for it. You won't be sorry.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

Spike,

25' is about the minimum for us, two four leggers, and four two leggers.

As long as everyone gets along.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 165.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	732.7 KB
ID:	161337  
Old 06-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Hello Spike, I'm a vintage kin owner splitting my time between Portland and Silverton, just a few months into my aluminum love affair.

If you are thinking about older models, you might want to check out Sunset RV in Forest Grove. I don't know anything about the business practices of the owner, good or bad, but he does tend to have a few older models available, whether they are posted on his website or not. That might help you get a feel for the different options with size and layout.

It is true that an older model, even in the best of condition, is probably going to need more TLC than it first seems... but as long as you are ok with that, you will love having a vintage trailer!

Best of luck to you in your search--

CarrieSue
CarrieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Rivet

Wow, thank you for all of the responses. This is Mrs C. I would just like to take exception to Mr C's statement that we are of advanced age. Speak for yourself old man! We are barely of retirement age.
Truthfully, it is me that is obsessed with a vintage travel trailer (as usual I get these ideas and drag Mr C on board) and I have been shopping hard online, but I know now that it is time to get out there and start kicking the tires. I have long wanted a beach house of our own but can't afford the ocean view that I want...or perhaps a mountain house... or a desert home...or... The answer is to just take our house with us and park it in any and all of these places. I also have a fascination with the beauty of industrial metal and "shiny tings" design so a silver trailer is a natural.

Stylistically, I am most fond of Flyte Camp restoration work. Especially the old summer camp/lodge styles. What wonderful work. Affording it is another thing, but it is the stuff that dreams are made of.
We press onward in the initial stages of our search. Nice to know that we aren't alone here, thank you for your encouragement and references and... the depth and content of this site is utterly amazing.
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Thanks to everyone for the good info, esp. Splitrock! That is a real cautionary tale for sure!
And Bob, your 2 dogs equal about 6 of ours! We will be doing some walkabouts in different units to get a better feel for what is what.
Thanks for the offer, Meredith, If we get going in that direction we will give you a buzz.
Mary will want to use the unit for a portable office when she photographs at horse shows so that will impact the space needs as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Welcome

Welcome to the community Spike.

We celebrate our first anniversary with our Airstream in August. Despite a few issues we've greatly enjoyed our trailer and the Airstream community on the forums and WBCCI.

Many will tell you your Airstream will find you. It was that way for us. We discovered our lightly used trailer on eBay about the time we had given up on used and were about to buy new. Keep looking and educating yourself and the unit meant for you will appear.

Hope to see you on the road one day.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Rally

Spike and Mary, Take your time and remember that once you purchase you are hooked for life... A suggestion, check out the bottom of the forums for rallys in your area. Go to it. The people are generally more than willing to show off their trailers and tell you all the good and bad... We were looking and saw a rally nearby. Decided to just ride over and check it out. Before we left, a gentleman had provided us with a handwritten list of all the trailers he knew of in his unit, and surrounding units that were for sale. Not only that, he weeded thru the ones that were too big for my tow vehicle or just had not been taken care of. 2 months later we bought one off that list.
The best thing about going to a rally is you will see new ones, middle aged and older ones all in one spot.
Good luck! (ours is a 27 ft 1984 Sovereign, twin beds in the middle, rear bath)
Works really well for us and our two small dogs.
ps, may as well buy that flamingo now so you will have it ready...It's kind of a rule! Notice ours in guard position...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	161396  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #20
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Great idea about the rallys. Thanks so much.
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote