Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Hi - New Airstream owner in Ontario, Canada

Hi All,

Let me tell you about how I have become an Airstream owner....

Needed a new SUV... 2005 KIA was not cutting it anymore. So as I shopped I found myself thinking about a larger vehicle, Tahoe, Yukon.. then I remembered that a good friend of mine had an airstream in storage.... he had moved out east and left it in a Self Storage place.

I got a thinking - never been much of a camper but those big shiny silver trailers have always caught my eye. Now I could smell one.... So the hunt was on. My friend works overseas so email was the only method of communication. Several emails later and I was given permission to go look.

She 'seemed' to be in good shape. 'Silver ohhhh' and almost shiny in some spots.

I made an offer and she (or the 'thing' as my 13 year old calls it) is now in my yard.

Day 1 was fun looked inside - little 'smelly' as it had been parked for
3 + years and was full of mothballs.

Day 2 - locked out.... flat panel part of lock came off in my hand... stayed this way for almost a week until we sacrificed an already slightly ripped screen and went in the window - much 'fiddling' with key on the outside and my wife on the inside finally opened her up.

She is a 1974 31' Land Yacht 'Sovereign, however when I look at pictures she has the rear lights of a 1975.

Looking forward to getting out and about, but for now I think she will be a pet project, no idea what works other than I know the electrical system works (including the AC) the loud 'bzzzzzzzzz' when plugged in is a little alarming as is the very wet floor I found when moving some 'bagged tires the PO had 'stored' inside near the door.

Have no keys for anything other than the broken front door lock (my friend seems to have misplaced them during the move out East) so cannot open any of the external panels - any ideas on how to find key would be greatly appreciated.

I have no doubt I will be asking many many questions over the coming months - years?? as I attempt to get my land yacht in 'LAND' sailing shape....

Ken (Karen, Nicole and Hannah) Kx2+2
kx2and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Welcome

Hi Ken Welcome to the forums. This site will be of great help to you in your efforts to fix and care for your new prize. I`m also from Ontario near Durham. Where exactly is Creek Ontario. I looked on the map but could only find a listing for Creekbank. Have you hooked it up to water yet to see if there are any leaks. If you want to drag it up here I could help you go over the trailer. I have owned my 73 for 12 years and I am also a licensed RV tech and I now own a campground. I could be of great help getting you started.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
P.S. post some pics so we can all enjoy your new baby
Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Yeahhh another Ontario Airstreamer...

Hi wasagachris,

Thanks for the reply you can view pics of her here;

Picasa Web Albums - kx2+2 - BlueMouton

I am actually in Clarence Creek about an hour outside of Ottawa. Not sure why it chopped of the 'Clarence' will check out my profile later.

No water check yet or propane as I have no keys for any of the compartments and the loud inverter or converter buzz that was present whenever plugged in has now stopped... so no power to her at the moment.

This will be a work in progress I am sure.... tires are all cracked in sidewalls, it sat for 3 years, too bad, as they all appear to be new lots of tread.... so I don't think she will move for a while other than to the closest storage yard for the winter...

Ken
Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Welcome aboard
Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Pics

I just checked out your pics. She looks to be in great shape. If you have any problems with your awning i have parts from the carefree awning on yours. I am putting a zip dee on mine now and don`t need the old parts. When you say no power to her now do you mean 12VDC or 120VAC. Check the circuit breakers under the bed in the rear for 120VAC. Look under the stove in the kitchen for the convertor. The original was a univolt type. Will check with uoyou later business to attend to now.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Keys

KX2and 2 Ken I have an extra set of keys I got when I purchased my trailer. They are not for my unit. If you PM me your address I will send them to you. Some of them may fit your compartments.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Date of Manufacture tag...

Welcome KX2and2,

In looking at some of your posted pictures, the A/S tag states 'Date of Manufacture' as 2/74.

You will find several AIR forum members in Ontario that will give you great insight into your new TT.

Welcome again,
Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx2and2 View Post
She is a 1974 31' Land Yacht 'Sovereign, however when I look at pictures she has the rear lights of a 1975.

Looking forward to getting out and about, but for now I think she will be a pet project, no idea what works other than I know the electrical system works (including the AC) the loud 'bzzzzzzzzz' when plugged in is a little alarming as is the very wet floor I found when moving some 'bagged tires the PO had 'stored' inside near the door.
Hi there ken and welcome to airforums.com!

I LIKE your choice of trailer, but you need to SHOw it to us! Photos, photos!

Two things: You live in "Creek", Ontario? Hmmm... Lemme guess; Stoney Creek? Anyway, part of your id is incomplete.

Secondly, the BUZz you hear when you plug it in is the Univolt power converter (120V to 12V) that is singing it's 36-year-old song.

Highly recommended to put that near the top of "things to replace". Sometime before you get around to putting a new battery in, for example, because it will beat up on your battery due to a lack of the modern three-stage way of charging the battery.

But most of all pOsT some pHOtOs, please?

Cheers,
Aage
Old 07-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Toronto , Ontario
Nice looking rear bedroom Sovereign!

Great pics - lots of potential. That Yukon should be a fine tow vehicle (or "TV" as often referred to here on the Airforums.) Depending on your family size and significant other, you might want to consider putting a full bed in the back. Ours has a custom built-in double and very comfortable. With flat screen/surround back there, it's a real cozy place to share evenings and rainy afternoons.

You're welcome to check out our '79 rear bedroom Sovereign, which we keep year round on our campsite near Bancroft, Ontario. - Photo Gallery

I really recommend this campround (Bancroft Tent and Trailer Camp.) Actually, the owners are from the Ottawa area. Great people and they keep the grounds fun consistently beautiful and fun. After hauling it up from Florida, we'd planned on taking our AS to different places but so far we're most happy to have it all set-up and ready to use in a perfect waterside spot. Plus, instead of our vintage Silverado TV we can also come up in our old Corvette, as you'll see in the pics.
'75 Chevy Silverado, '65 Chevy Sting Ray Convertible
Click for Photo album
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Secret VIN decoder attached! shhhhh...

Hello again, Ken,

Sorry, I somehow completely missed post #4 where you clarified your area and put the link to the photos.

My son just moved from a house he and his wife were renting in Rockland, to a new place they bought in Limoges, so I know right where your town is. Wonderful country out there, yet still close to the metropolis.

I love your trailer! The exterior looks faultless, and there really doesn't appear to be a lot to do on the inside. The bathroom seems to need a bit of care, but for some reason, that's where most of the work seems to be in many trailers of that vintage. It was bought at the same dealer (now extinct) in the Ottawa area, Kanata Trailer Sales. Ours has the same plastic plate, also held by rusty steel rivets just like yours is. On of these days I'll replace them with aluminum ones.

I have another question. You mention your trailer is a 1974, but the VIN in the images you posted show that Airstream actually thinks that it's a 1975 model. The rest of the VIN jives (31' International built in Jackson Center, mid bath rear twins), but that VIN is definitely for a 1975. I doubt if it matters to anyone, and it could easily have happened that the original dealer didn't notice and gave the wrong info when he plated it.

I'm attaching the "VIN decoder" for trailers previous to 1980.

cheers,
Aage
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VIN-pre1980.pdf (16.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Secret VIN decoder attached! shhhhh...

Hi Aage,

Thanks for the VIN decoder on pre-'80 model of A/S.

Why would Airstream go about stamping a 'Manufacture Date' on the tag when it isn't even relevant?

Boy, am I confused...but learning more as every day goes by.

Thanks,
Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Ken

Your trailer is definitely a 1975 Model the date of manufacture is likely 12/74.

We have the compartment keys in stock for it if that helps just ask for parts and they could send them to you.

Good luck with your project I am sure you will enjoy it.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Hello again, Ken,

Sorry, I somehow completely missed post #4 where you clarified your area and put the link to the photos.

My son just moved from a house he and his wife were renting in Rockland, to a new place they bought in Limoges, so I know right where your town is. Wonderful country out there, yet still close to the metropolis.

I love your trailer! The exterior looks faultless, and there really doesn't appear to be a lot to do on the inside. The bathroom seems to need a bit of care, but for some reason, that's where most of the work seems to be in many trailers of that vintage. It was bought at the same dealer (now extinct) in the Ottawa area, Kanata Trailer Sales. Ours has the same plastic plate, also held by rusty steel rivets just like yours is. On of these days I'll replace them with aluminum ones.

I have another question. You mention your trailer is a 1974, but the VIN in the images you posted show that Airstream actually thinks that it's a 1975 model. The rest of the VIN jives (31' International built in Jackson Center, mid bath rear twins), but that VIN is definitely for a 1975. I doubt if it matters to anyone, and it could easily have happened that the original dealer didn't notice and gave the wrong info when he plated it.

I'm attaching the "VIN decoder" for trailers previous to 1980.

cheers,
Aage
Evening Agae,

Thanks for the info on the age really strange as the Date of manufacture states 7-29-74, but as i mentioned before, and as Andrew seems to have confirmed, I figured she is a late 1974 build, sold in`75.

I like you 'figured' she was in good shape, I keep on finding more 'jobs' as I clean her up. Latest is not only a soft floor but a hole in the plywood sub-floor in front of the sofa, on the street (door) side.

Bathroom is in rough shape - my friend the PO had stored some 'stuff' in there and when I removed it the plastic bags lettering remained on the sink... have not tried to clean it yet....

The buzzzzz stopped!! And as mentioned to wasagachris, I had turned on the fridge to see if she worked and when I came back to check - no more power and no more buzz. Fuses all seem intact under the sink and the breakers at the back ar all OK too ????

Will post some 'new' pics of the rotten floor..... so all can have a boo. As I said this is a 'project', where is the best place to post or look for help on replacing a piece of the sub-floor???

Thanks to all who have welcomed me glad to know there other 'krazies' who are into these shiny things....

Ken
Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Talk about some great, immediate help! I'm impressed.
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
x

XXXX , XXXX
No Power

KX2and 2. Are you sure you still have shore power. Check the breakers from wherever you are plugged into. Try resetting the breakers in the trailer. If they trip they will look fine. Turn them off and on again to reset them
Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
x

XXXX , XXXX
Great Help

Spot, us cannucks are a friendly bunch and glad to have other streamers to talk to.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
thoughts on posting

Ken,

AS followed the lead of the car manufacturers and started making next year's production in the second half of the current year. Silly and confusing, but there it is.

As far as posting questions, there seems to be two schools of thought as to how and where. Some people start something I would call a "blog" thread, but I have to be careful, because there is a blog function in airforums.com (which I have yet to use). Typically, they would find the sub-forum for their model and year of trailer, and start a new thread there, adding everything they do and ask about in the single thread.

That makes a continuous "story" about your vehicle, and even any trips you take in it, while keeping it all together in one spot, easy to find and refer to.

The other popular way is to find the section that you think has most to do with your question, say cleaning, or plumbing, and either adding on to a thread there, or if you can't find a thread that covers your issue, start a new thread.

I start to read the forums by first going to threads where I have posted and someone has replied after I have. You do this by clicking on the Quick Links button in the dark blue horizontal bar up top. Under Quick Links, there is "Subscribed Links", which takes you to new messages in threads where you have previously posted.

Then I go and click on "New Posts" in the same blue bar. There I read the posts that interest me.

So you see that whichever way you decide to post your voyage with your new TT, people that want to read your posts will find them with equal ease.

Although I have a "blog-type" post here, it's been a while since I wrote in it, but you will get the idea.

There are many fascinating and really long threads that you will find. I spent a lot more time reading than writing on here, and I still do. There is just so much good stuff written by the great 'Streamers here.

The last thing I will mention is that there is a great search function here, up again in the blue bar. I personally prefer the Google version of it, but you'll decide that on your own. I think it's important to get into the habit of using it before you post a question, since you will very often find the answer there first, and yet, you may still post in order to get some clarification.

See you down the road!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
I never met a Canadian I didn't like. Actually, unlike many of my friends here, I was routing for the Canadian hockey team in the Olympic finals. I was just the right thing to happen!
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #20
x

XXXX , XXXX
Spot: Then you haven`t met any of our politicians.LOL