Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Hi, I've not yet owned an Airstream...

...and I think it's about time. I welcome all help, opinions and advice. Feel free to contact me.

When I consider buying an enjoyable asset, like an Airstream trailer, I first try to learn about the hard facts and then intangibles before I make my choice. Here are my reasons, assumptions and general principles about purchasing an Airstream and any enjoyable asset, and where I'm currently at in that process.

1. An enjoyable asset must at least hold its value, if not even appreciate in value.

As example, my enjoyable car is an Alfa Romeo Spider. I've owned four of them over my life and always was able to sell them for what I paid or more. I assume Airstream fits this first principle well.

2. An enjoyable asset should not be problematic or difficult to maintain.

For some reason I never had any problem putting on hundreds of thousands of miles with my Alfas other than routine maintenance...don't know why they had an unreliable reputation perception problem, unless others confused them with Fiats! Of course you must use them regularly for them to stay fit, not put them into storage over winter. I do not know if this is true for Airstream, but I hope it is at least for the models that I wish to enjoy. I'm currently thinking about the smaller size trailers, like the Sport dimensions.

3. An enjoyable asset should also have the passion factor.

What I mean here is that as soon as I engage with it I must feel an emotional sense of satisfaction and joy. Even more so rewarding if others notice this too and are similarly happy and content with seeing me enjoying my interaction with it. I can't tell you how many people have commented positively about my Afla while I'm driving it. It not only feels great to drive it but also to hear others voice their appreciation of it. I suspect that Airstream also engages this pure joy factor for those that own them and others that witness them being enjoyed.

4. An enjoyable asset should have a vibrant community of passionate supporters.

Alfa owners that are passionate about their cars are called Alfistas. They not only share and relate and even rally together, but also do the honk and wave thing whenever we're on the road in passing. We're special not because we're better than everybody else, but because we are unique in a way that we love and everyone else adores. I get a sense that the Airstream marquee has also developed that uniqueness with a solid community of passionate owners behind it.

5. I get lucky.

There is no other way to put it. Rather than forcing myself into something new, I always seem to have a knack in attracting and benefitting from the kindness and generosity of wise strangers who become friends along the way. And perhaps that's also how I'll find my first Airstream.

I've much still to learn and always more to learn after that... and so we begin.

Cheers to all and thanks for reading my introductory post!
Rob Hanna
SocialWealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you do not intend to use it and enjoy camping or touring, forget Airstream. Any RV that is dragged around the rough roads around the US, will require personal involvement in maintaining it or have a fat wallet to pay others to do it. When you consider the additional investment in a good reliable tow vehicle (and the maintenance it requires) as well as the reduced gas mileage, you can breakeven by staying at cheap motels or camping in a tent at state parks. I have owned Airstreams for 27 years and have a lot of good memories of our touring.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi Rob - welcome to the forum. Spend some time reading and ask questions as you have them. Airstreamers are a diverse bunch and we each have unique reasons for our trailer choices. That said, it's unlikely that your rig would hold it's full value and so you need to be prepared for that. A well maintained and rare vintage model might hold value more tenaciously.

As for your other criteria - you're in in the right place. Airstreamers are cool and they are passionate about their rigs. Aluminum lust is contagious - be careful....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't know that Alfisti have anything on Airstream nuts in the passion/community department.

As long as you don't buy a brand-new Airstream, and don't overpay for the pre-owned ones you buy, you can get a sizable portion of your initial investment back out. Now, the money you spend in the meantime should be considered entertainment expenses... keeping it working and making it more enjoyable to use, etc.

If you're going to wait around to "luck into" the right trailer, I wish you luck. Putting a little effort into first figuring out which one(s) appeal to you by reading the forums and perhaps visiting a rally and then looking for the one(s) you want will make things go a lot faster. There's a rally in San Marcos this weekend, and we Airstreamers are generally very pleased to show off our toys and tell you what we love about them and what we plan to fix/change/add/improve.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I was also an Alfa aficionado at one time. About thirty years ago, I had a '75 Alfetta and a '79 Spider at the same time. Due to family considerations, they were replaced by station wagons.

You have come to the right place for Airstream information. There is a wealthy of it here in a friendly atmosphere.

As you consider consider an Airstream travel trailer, remember that to adequately enjoy it, you must consider an appropriate tow vehicle.

Best wishes in your endeavor.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You've got a good chance at criteria #3 and #4, for #1 and #2 you'll need lots of #5.

Although Airstreams are probably the best overall RV as you describe yourself, they are expensive to buy, use, and maintain. It is unlikely your investment will be returned in money, more likely in pleasure of use and ownership.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
If your "rules" are ironclad, you may be outa' luck. For sure, on a cash basis, Airstreams are depreciating assets. I suppose that someone, sometime may have made money on one, but don't count on it. There's ongoing maintenance, just like any fairly complex piece of machinery. Just like your home, there's a water pump, furnace, refrigerator, air conditioning system, faucets and plumbing, propane gas delivery system, vent fans, range, etc. plus running gear. Plus a fairly stout tow vehicle to boot. And entropy is one of those inflexible thermodynamic rules. Constant vigilance and upkeep. Think small to mid-sized live-aboard boat. Now, if you're willing to put a positive price on fun, enjoyment, the community factor, etc. you might be able to balance the books! I think doug k summed it up nicely.

But there is the community, and we are all more or less passionate, or we'd have saved some money and gotten the square box sort of trailer. I think the luck part is up to you.

If you really want to find out a lot about Airstreams and Airstreaming fast, find the nearest Forums rally or WBCCI rally near you and just drop in at mid-afternoon on Saturday. You're sure to be invited to stay for dinner (if you have a cold six pack of pop or beer or a chilled bottle of wine, it's a certainty!) and you will be invited (nearly required!) to tour a bunch of trailers while the owners point out their strengths and weaknesses. You'll leave knowing much more than you can ever learn by reading.

Good luck in your venture.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Hey guys, you're all so very kind to respond to my introductory post--and with some great advice and opportunities! I'm already lucky.

I do want to take DKB_SATX's offer to attend the rally in San Marcos on Saturday. I can bring some wine, no problem.

Anybody know where it is?

Cheers, to all and more to come. I'm just exhausted helping my brother move today. Another good reason to have an Airstream--you don't have to move stuff in the house, you just move the house!

Thanks to all again!
SocialWealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialWealth View Post
Hey guys, you're all so very kind to respond to my introductory post--and with some great advice and opportunities! I'm already lucky.

I do want to take DKB_SATX's offer to attend the rally in San Marcos on Saturday. I can bring some wine, no problem.

Anybody know where it is?

Cheers, to all and more to come. I'm just exhausted helping my brother move today. Another good reason to have an Airstream--you don't have to move stuff in the house, you just move the house!

Thanks to all again!
In my previous post, there's a link to the thread that talks about the rally.

It's at Pecan Park Riverside Campground. The organizer (soldiermedic) has a great updated '50s trailer, several other friends of will be there as well but I don't know the whole list of attendees because I won't be there... I have things to get done here in north TX before a trip next weekend.

Lots of people will proudly show off their trailers. Read through that thread and find out if they're having an official "open house" time for showing off, that would be the most convenient.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Now 'yer talk'n....get to the Rally!!

You won't regret it.

Just try not to let exuberance outrun common sense, you will find that shinny is blinding on the brain as well as the eyes.

Take video with accurate voice over, because the "Happy Camper" will be freely flowing if past is any measure of present.

Enjoy

Bob