Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #1

2002 26' Land Yacht 26
Cape Coral , Florida
Hi I'm new!

We have a 26' 2002 Land Yacht Motor Home and we've hit a roadblock. We can't get the cover off of the inside motor housing. It's a large slanted square, covered in carpet between the driver's and the passenger's seat. It has 4 bolts (very long bolts) in the lid...one at each corner. We got the bolts out, but the cover won't budge. Is there some other tool that we should use to lift it...other than just brute force and a crowbar? Don't want to break anything. We need to get at the master cylinder and brake fluid receptical.

Second question: We have Nationwide Insurance on our unit, but received a packet from Good Sam with all the benefits of their emergency road service plan. It covers more than our AAA does, but we're not certain if this is something we should participate in. We have a Good Sam membership, but just haven't upgraded to their emergency road service plan. I guess we're trying not to overlap or have redundant coverages. Can anyone offer any insight on this? Sure would appreciate the help.

Thanks everybody,
Linda
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hi, Linda, and welcome to Airforums! I'm sure you'll find many who are willing to share their knowledge of Airstreams and Airstreaming with you.

Lynn
Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome! I have AAA and my insurance has roadside service as well. I'm not sure about Good Sams because when I looked into their rates, it was very high! Check with your insurance policy and then maybe call AAA about an upgrade. See what works for you. On the cover, I can't help you there but you could use the search engine or most likely someone will answer in here.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

2002 26' Land Yacht 26
Cape Coral , Florida
Thanks so much. I pay AAA $96.00/yr. for my auto coverage. To add my RV, it will up the fee to $192.00. Good Sam has much more service and benefits AND it includes my other vehicles as well, for $79.97/yr. for the first year and then I think it's $103.00 for every subsequent year. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but then when it seems that easy, it usually isn't. There must be a catch somewhere, but I can't find it.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
We have a 26' 2002 Land Yacht Motor Home and we've hit a roadblock. We can't get the cover off of the inside motor housing. It's a large slanted square, covered in carpet between the driver's and the passenger's seat. It has 4 bolts (very long bolts) in the lid...one at each corner. We got the bolts out, but the cover won't budge. Is there some other tool that we should use to lift it...other than just brute force and a crowbar? Don't want to break anything. We need to get at the master cylinder and brake fluid receptical.

Second question: We have Nationwide Insurance on our unit, but received a packet from Good Sam with all the benefits of their emergency road service plan. It covers more than our AAA does, but we're not certain if this is something we should participate in. We have a Good Sam membership, but just haven't upgraded to their emergency road service plan. I guess we're trying not to overlap or have redundant coverages. Can anyone offer any insight on this? Sure would appreciate the help.

Thanks everybody,
Linda
We switched our road service from AAA to Good Sam. AAA was very good but for a RV coverage GS is better. The responses for 'outta gas' to a roadside breakdown were excellent. All of our vehicles and home are insured with Allstate. $3200 damage to the AS was taken care of with little problem.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums, Linda...you'll find all the info you need here...

We have roadside insurance on both our truck and the trailer insurance policies, but we still got Good Sam roadside assistance ...mostly because they are more used to dealing with RVs...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Hi Linda, try going to the forum interface and scrolling down to theAirstream Motor Home forum. You will be more likely to have your engine cover question answered there.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Hi welcome to the group. We used to have a Winnebago and with it we only had a couple of bolts which after removal we could lift the dog house. If it hasn't been removed in a long time the heat could have caused the seal to stick. You might try gently prying it but I would be careful about applying too much force.

A lot of people like Good Sam Road Coverage. We've been using Allstate RV Roadhelp for the past 10 or so years. We've had to use them a couple of times on a motorhome and once when pulling a trailer. In all instances we've been very pleased. Once when stuck with the MH in SD we were aver 70 miles out of town. I called and their contract wrecker service was on a call. Instead of making us wait, they called around and found another service provider and sent them to get us. After he got there, and got us hooked up the driver realized that he didn't have room in his truck to carry the 4 of us and the law didn't allow us to ride in the MH while being towed. He called for another truck, to act as a taxi, and RV Roadhelp paid for both trucks! We've been real pleased with all their services. They even have KOA discounts but we don't have kids traveling anymore so we don't normally stay at KOAs and don't use that feature.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote