Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Talking Hi, I'm Coldbigred, and I love Airstreams!

I KNEW there had to be a support group for those addicted to Airstreams, and I found it! I'm in love with these trailers, but obviously cannot afford one now. Where do most of the Airstream owners get their money to buy one? Maybe I can sweet-talk Santa into slipping one under my tree?
coldbigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbigred
I KNEW there had to be a support group for those addicted to Airstreams, and I found it! I'm in love with these trailers, but obviously cannot afford one now. Where do most of the Airstream owners get their money to buy one? Maybe I can sweet-talk Santa into slipping one under my tree?
Coldigred,
Welcome to the forums...there are several way to get an Airstream....legally You can hock the farm and make outrageous payments to the bank or finance company every month for a brand new one, or you can buy vintage and make outrageous payments to the parts house every month, as well as have no life...you are always working on the Airstream...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Affording the First Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Coldigred,
Welcome to the forums...there are several way to get an Airstream....legally You can hock the farm and make outrageous payments to the bank or finance company every month for a brand new one, or you can buy vintage and make outrageous payments to the parts house every month, as well as have no life...you are always working on the Airstream...

Aaron
Dr. Aaron,
Thanks (I think) for those encouraging and inspiring words.
From what I've read and seen, there's a whole lot of truth to what you've said. It still boggles my mind, though....how and WHY in the world do some people have SEVERAL Airstreams, and someone like me can't afford ONE? Wouldn't you think someone might "share" a little???? Nawwwwh! Guess I need to re-evaluate my priorities: Food...or...Safari?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
With luck and alot of looking, (and the knowledge to know what to look for from reading forums such as this) you can likely find a usable Airstream for under $3000, if you are not a purist. This is cheaper than you can buy a SOB that is newer but will not last as long as the Airstream. Yes, you have to maintain it but (if you are handy) you can keep the budget reasonable. No, it is not as cheap as sleeping under the stars or in your car but, you do not get wet and it is a more reasonable camping experience for longer trips. And you meet the nicest people when you come to our community events.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:41 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
And you meet the nicest people when you come to our community events.
And you meet people like me, but with therapy, you'll recover...
Old 11-29-2005, 05:43 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Guess I need to re-evaluate my priorities: Food...or...Safari?
Food is over-rated, go with the Safari!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
wilson , New York
Quote:
Coldigred,

Aaron
What Aaron said. Either way, your gonna pay....

'05 Dodge 2500 SLT 4X4

TAC# NY-5256
Tin Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Coldbigred-----Support groups as I understand them are formed to help people get over additions. You'll not find any help getting off the Airstream addition on this forumn. Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Amen Brother!!

Quote:
Coldigred,

Aaron
Can I get an Amen from the Crowd??? Brother Aaron speaks the truth

When I told a friend of mine about our AS purchase, he said these words, "Hey...isn't that like a cult or something?"

Of course I responded by saying 'of course it is.'

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Airstreams are bankable

Some people have savings accounts, other people like us, we gotta work on our Airstreams.

I have no doubt that every bit of money and time I put in to my rig I will get back either as time spent camping and enjoying or offering it to others (guests and relatives or others in need) or as a (heaven forbid the thought) a future sale to a lucky buyer.

It's an investment for most of us. That's how I think of it.

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:13 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Welcome. we're all addicted to aluminum. I myself am doing life with only one as. The wife says she is not ready to be a widdow yet.This forum is a great support group, it will turn you into a full blown JUNKIE in no time. I'll ask santa when I see him to get you your very own as. there are always several for sale here in the metroplex to choose from. Oh I'll help you out if santa brings me that trillion dollars I asked for so I could have a fleet of my own. Merry Christmas and good hunting.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:22 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Hey there! Welcome to the forums.
Actually, my Safari found me. Give it some time and it's amazing what's out there when you least expect (and can least deal with) it. This is a great place to start feeding your addiction! Good luck,

Diane
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:22 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Thanks for the bounty of responses! I think I'll probably get hooked on this forum, too! Think I got issues?

These previous posts have raised questions. Dare I ask? Feel free to jump in where you feel the most comfy...

Dwightdi...Two questions...
1. I can spring for $3000 for a road-ready rig. I'm a handyman, love to tinker....but hate debt, if you know what I mean. Where in TEXAS can I find such a buy?
2. I just KNOW I'm gonna regret this question, but as a newbie, I have every right in this forum to ask...."What is a SOB" (in the context of travel trailers, please)?

Mike Lewis...I think you meant to say "addictions" rather than "additions." However, you're not far off! I am ADDICTED to wanting an ADDITION...that is, an AIRSTREAM ADDITION. Not being obsessive compulsive here...just couldn't help seeing the connection to my wishes...

Overlander63...I already like the way you think!

Jimmy James...An investment? I agree! For me, I find it difficult to break into this particular field of investment, in spite of how alluring and attractive it may be.

Bill Benton...You're in Mansfield??? That's in my neighborhood. I live in Arlington. Can you point me in the direction of these metroplex "for sales"? Saw a few in the paper, but by the time I called, they had already evaporated!

To all...THANKS for the warm welcome. Happy trailering to you all! To me, I'm still on the lookout for a cheap fix......not an expensive fixer-upper...
Old 11-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
SOB=Some Other Brand

I would be VERY careful of a 3,000 Airstream - at that rate a good usable one is hard to find - however not impossible if you look hard.

In my experience you are way ahead to pay more for one that needs less resoration - most of the 3,000 one's I've seen need much more than 3,000 just to get it usable

Not trying to discourage you, just be careful - there is a lot of junk out there. But then you are only needing one trailer - so look in all the classifieds you can - there is one out there that has your name on it.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You may be able to get an Argosy cheaper, although I still don't know why that is. I actually got my Argosy from El Paso, Texas, last year. It's a 1978 24 ft that has given my husband and me a great deal of fun. We work on it a lot which is a good part of the fun. We camp when we can get away and we retore when we can't. It is truely a passion and an addiction for us. We're passing up the 12 step program. This is to much fun.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 AM   #16
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Also check the Airstream and Airstream Vintage sites. I sold one on the vintage site several years ago. The neighbors thought I was collecting them when they saw two in my driveway. I seriously considered it too! Sometimes it is hard to let go!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
This was a rule of thumb for us. We set a price range and stuck to it. After looking at the new ones and they cost almost as much as our house we knew we could not afford. So after looking at this sight we decided to go with a 70's model. Like others we did not want payments so you learn real quick how to get rid of things to get your dream stream.
Yes they do cost to get them road ready and keep them road ready, but it sure is worth it to know you have a piece of history. Not to mention all the fun.
They are out there and it may take you months to find we searched local trade paper's, ebay, and word of mouth. Be prepared to travel and also there are folks here that will go out and look if it is a distance from you.
We found our Peppy here under the classifieds sure we drove 900 miles to get him.
Also you learn beans and leftovers can go a long way in order to get that new water pump.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Finding a "cheap" Airstream

This is a difficult task and requires alot of education so you do not get stung. This forum and getting a good knowledgeable group of friends to help you is very important. People who have Airstreams that are trying to sell them come in all kinds. Estate sales are sometimes a great bargin. (Grandpa never used it very much but refused to sell it and it has been setting for 10 -15 years and we don't want it. Take it away for a song.) They also can have big problems that the seals were not maintained and the floor and frame are rotten. Ebay is a source but you have to do alot of traveling or depend on local inspectors to see how good the unit is before you bid. I bought one from the WBCCI magazine and one I found setting in a backyard along the road. The Forum classified and other club sites on the web are also good starting points. Do not buy junk in hopes of fixing it up. The cost of repairs will quickly exceed the purchase price. Expect to look at ten units to find one good one.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:45 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Gee! This really IS a COMMUNITY, huh? There's so much comfort in knowing so many of you out there have faced the same dilemma: caviar taste v. peanut butter budget. I can identify with the "junk-streams" that are out there...so sad, yet aggravating. I also have felt the itch to pull the trigger of my purchase gun and buy impulsively. I read every classified I can get my grubby hands on...daily...and I have to tear myself away from THIS FORUM more than once a day to get my every-day work done. My dear wife calls it "an obsession." Any amens out there?
I will listen to every word of wisdom you've offered and take my time, saving my pennies and dimes along the way until I have enough money to buy that one with "my name on it." In the meantime, it's still "sweet dreams of airstreams" for me.....Thanks again, to all!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:06 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I bought mine for $3995 and it was more or less road ready, except for the leaky plumbing and rotted water heater. Oh, I forgot about the bad fresh water pump and freeze damaged water filter. Wife refused to go camping until I replaced the ugly mustard yellow countertop. I had to replace the battery, then have new OPD valves installed on the propane tanks. Then I did the axles, replaced the tires, some upholstery work, new drapes. I have replace one light/vent with a Fantastic Fan, and Thin Light fixture. Replaced bathroom sink faucets, and shower head/hose. Vent gaskets. Lots of other little things, like missing screws in the furnace vent, that caused high CO levels in the coach. A new toilet was installed last month.

Most of the plumbing problems were discovered after I brought it home. Would I do it again, knowing what I know now about my Airstream? You bet!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote