Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

MILLBROOK , NY
Hi from Upstate New York

As a first time potential buyer I am very excited to join the forum and the wealth of knowledge you all collectively have. Having been a long term admirer (circa 40 years) of the Airstream design; owning one for the first time is a daunting but exciting experience.

I have some very basic questions which I'm hoping you could advise me based on your own personal ownership experience:

Is it ok for my trailer to be set on grass during the mild weather months?
As it will be used year round in the Northeast what do i need to be aware of? Specifically what do i need to do during the winter so as not to damage any of the various systems?
How important is to have some type of roof over the trailer during winter?
Is there an approximate cost to have someone or a shop prepare it for use in the winter?
I do plan on have permanent electric and water hook ups.
I have identified a 1972 25ft. Land Yacht that we are interested in and have posted about someone in the Whitehouse, Tennessee are taking a look before we do a professional pre-inspection.

Many thanks in advance for your guidance, John
IrelandJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Hello and welcome to Airstreaming.

I’ll do my best to answer your questions and I’m sure many others will offer advice.

I don’t see any issue with keeping your airstream on grass in mild weather. I’ve camped on grass many times and I’m sure many people store their trailer on grass. Obviously if the grass becomes overgrown under or around the trailer you’ll have to deal with that.

The biggest challenge in winter conditions is the potential freezing of your plumbing systems. This includes your water lines and your tanks. There are ways to use an Airstream all winter long in freezing conditions, but it takes some planning and investment in things like skirts around the base of the trailer. Most people winterize their trailer to avoid problems. You can still use the trailer if it is winterized, but not the water or the toilet. You’ll need bottled water. Condensation inside the trailer can also be an issue, and you’ll use quite a bit of propane keeping the furnace running.

A shop can perform winterization for you, generally for about $100. It can be done with compressed air, RV antifreeze, or a combination. I recommend that you learn to do it yourself. It’s not difficult and it will help you learn about the systems in your trailer.

Good luck and I hope you have many great adventures.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to these Airstream Forums. It is here you can learn all about the Airstream ownership and travel experiences. I want to say I really enjoyed our travels to upstate New York. Being from Minnesota, it seemed like home.

But we moved to Colorado for our retirement as our two sons both live here. They say you retire where your family is. My wife and I own two vintage Airstream trailers. Hers is a 1986 Limited 34' and I have a 1975 Overlander 27'. I'm one who feels a vintage Airstream can be renovated into a very comfortable, modern travel trailer. Here is a photo of the Overlander.

It's been said that all Airstreams leak or are gonna leak. There is a lot of body seams and penetration's that can develop into leaks. Moisture is a bane of vintage Airstreams. Trailers found in the hot, dry southwest are usually in better shape than ones on the lush, wet southeast. My Overlander was from the southeast, so I speak from experience. I had a lot of repairs to do, but it was very doable. The aluminum bodies last like forever.

Be sure to check out the Airstream Classified ads on these Forums. There is where I sold my 66 Trade Wind 24' and bought my 75 Overlander 27'.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1907 Rear Snow-800x600.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	415225   Click image for larger version

Name:	1907 Curtains Gaucho-800x600.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	415226  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Welcome Aboard!

Hi - Welcome from New Hampshire! Glad to have you with us!

Exciting to be on the hunt for a trailer! It took us about 6 months to find our baby once we knew what we were looking for. I hope that goes well for you.

We park ours on the grass in the back yard. We do put some old plywood under the tires to distribute the load and keep things from sinking. The side effect of parking in the grass is everything in the shadow of the trailer is gonna die if it's left there long enough.

You'll need to winterize the water systems for the freezing weather. Not really a complex process...blow things out with air, drain the low points, antifreeze in the "P" traps.

Our unit has lived it's entire life outside uncovered exposed to weather and UV...but after 14 years we did reseal and renew all the old so she'll last at least another 14 years. It's really nice to have a covered shelter though.

The forums are a great place to get help and answers to your questions. Just start a new thread for your question and folks are great about sharing their knowledge with you.

All the best on the start of your adventure!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

MILLBROOK , NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Hello and welcome to Airstreaming.

I’ll do my best to answer your questions and I’m sure many others will offer advice.

I don’t see any issue with keeping your airstream on grass in mild weather. I’ve camped on grass many times and I’m sure many people store their trailer on grass. Obviously if the grass becomes overgrown under or around the trailer you’ll have to deal with that.

The biggest challenge in winter conditions is the potential freezing of your plumbing systems. This includes your water lines and your tanks. There are ways to use an Airstream all winter long in freezing conditions, but it takes some planning and investment in things like skirts around the base of the trailer. Most people winterize their trailer to avoid problems. You can still use the trailer if it is winterized, but not the water or the toilet. You’ll need bottled water. Condensation inside the trailer can also be an issue, and you’ll use quite a bit of propane keeping the furnace running.

A shop can perform winterization for you, generally for about $100. It can be done with compressed air, RV antifreeze, or a combination. I recommend that you learn to do it yourself. It’s not difficult and it will help you learn about the systems in your trailer.

Good luck and I hope you have many great adventures.
Good morning Dennis,

thank you very much for your thoughtful answers. Immensely helpful. John
Old 04-29-2022, 07:27 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

MILLBROOK , NY
Really appreciate your response. I am learning a lot with lots more to go. Thank you, John
Old 04-29-2022, 07:28 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

MILLBROOK , NY
Appreciate it. You validated what we had hoped. Thanks again, john