Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 11:27 PM   #1

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Nelson , British Columbia
Hi from the Kootenay in BC

Hey folks - I am joining your forum in the hopes to learn more about Airstreams. My wife and I have the bug and are hoping to purchase one in a year or two.

We are planning on local week-long trips here in the Kootenay region of British Columbia, month long trips in BC and Alberta, and multi-month trips into the USA once our two kids fly the coup in several years and we retire.

We are also hoping to use the trailer in the winter occasionally, when we travel for XC ski races, or for some recreational DH or backcountry skiing.

Mostly we will use it as a nice basecamp for when we are out with some kind of outdoor adventure in mind - mountain biking, dayhikes, etc. We might let the kids inside at night when it's wet, otherwise we'll leave them outside in a tent! On the longer trips, I will likely need to work remotely (with a laptop) about 2 days a week, so a comfortable space to do that at the table would be helpful.

From a size perspective and layout of the kitchen, I am liking the 20; however the Corner Bunk models give me pause, as one of us needs the bathroom nightly, and it's the short one - the tall one may find the corner part of the bunk too short! Therefore we are thinking the 22 or 23 would be better for us. We want to stay on the shorter side so we can fit in more national campgrounds and the like. From an aesthetic perspective, we prefer the maple in the Flying Cloud - but I'm not clear on what else is the difference from the Caravel/Bambi side in terms of construction/important features.

Anyways, looking forward to doing some research to find the answers to these questions - but any pointers you want to volunteer off the top are always welcome
blackmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:57 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
welcome to the forum! You will find lots of good info here.

We just love Nelson, it's such a cute town. We have family in Castlegar, so we get up to that area regularly (when the border was open).

Best of luck with your search!
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmtn View Post
I am liking the 20; however the Corner Bunk models give me pause, as one of us needs the bathroom nightly, and it's the short one - the tall one may find the corner part of the bunk too short! )
We had a 20'FC and loved everything about it except the bed. One of us was always having to crawl over the other to get in or out. So we bumped up to a 25' RBT.

The extra length hasn't been a problem for us and we enjoy the extra space on long trips.

However, the 20' does have the best kitchen!

Love your area!
Old 08-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado. We like the longer trailers for longer trips. They just have more storage room and the like. Many folks here start with a shorter Airstream but end up "trading up" after a few years.

Generally Airstreams are built the same, just with different interior and floor layout options.

Cold weather camping in an Airstream takes some planning. You need a heat source that will keep the water from freezing. Airstreams are built for cold weather camping and have good RV style furnaces, but they are made of aluminum and have rather thin walls. Many people like the new hot water heating systems.

Here is my son out skiing in Colorado with his Airstream. Looks like fun, doesn't it.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403 Snow Covered GlobeTrotter-800x600.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	400996  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I been looking at the escape , it look to be very ��
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:45 PM   #6

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Nelson , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hello from Colorado. We like the longer trailers for longer trips. They just have more storage room and the like. Many folks here start with a shorter Airstream but end up "trading up" after a few years.

Generally Airstreams are built the same, just with different interior and floor layout options.

Cold weather camping in an Airstream takes some planning. You need a heat source that will keep the water from freezing. Airstreams are built for cold weather camping and have good RV style furnaces, but they are made of aluminum and have rather thin walls. Many people like the new hot water heating systems.

Here is my son out skiing in Colorado with his Airstream. Looks like fun, doesn't it.

David
Woohoo! Storm chasing! Yes it does
blackmtn is offline   Reply With Quote