Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
Hi from Silicon Valley

Heya!

Figured I'd sign on up on the forum since I may be a travel trailer owner in the near future. However, I think my plans may get me chased off with torches and pitchforks!

I'm planning on taking an idea I had, which I've seen partial proof of concept, and trying to make it real. I've got a 1966 Morgan +4 I'm resto-modding to have the drivetrain of a '06 Pontiac Solstice, and I had the crazy idea of making a car hauler travel trailer to take the car with me on trips when it's completed.

I looked around and came across a "ScottieDTV" channel on Youtube where there was a three-part bit about an Airstream converted into a car hauler and 'showpiece' for a dealership in Tennessee. I liked what they did, but figured I could shave a bit off the car ramps and maintain enough interior space to equip a ~25' like it was a Bambi.

I thought I was going to have a good source trailer from a neighbor who's had a travel trailer stowed on their property for 30+ years, but looking at it recently I realized it was much smaller than I thought (Silver Streak Sabre, maybe 17' in length). That one may still become a project as I'm checking with my brother back east to see if he's interested in my fixing it up for him.

Back to browsing craigslist and the like, I came across a Spartan Manor for sale locally, and will be checking that out soon. In the mean time, I contacted a friend who works for a tow truck company to get estimates for hauling the Spartan should it not be roadworthy, and come to find out his boss has an Airstream stashed away at his yard that he'd sell for a good price.

Both the Spartan and the Airstream have "trashed" interiors (to be seen) and some exterior damage, which is fine by me as I really don't want to gut and cut a trailer in particularly good condition. My inclination is to go for the Airstream as a) this kind of project's already be done to one b) it's a dual axle (Spartan's single axle) c) there's a huge knowledge base available for the Airstream, and I know what its structure is like. The one draw for the Spartan (aside from it's less known namesake) is that the rear's design would lend itself better to a 'garage door' setup, though again I already know what I can do with the Airstream in regards to its framework.

Time will tell if this moves forward beyond ideas, but all being well I may be posting a rather interesting project to go along with my MogRod in the near future.
flaagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Cool plan! Morgan pics please.
If the interior of the trailer is already trashed then go for it. IMHO.
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
For the Morgan, I've got a blog at Mog Rod about it. Will have to go back a few posts to see it as the project's sat for about a year since I've been helping my parents with a lot of remodeling projects on their home.

I took a look at the Airstream today, it's a 1972 Ambassador Double. It was actually in better shape than my friend let on, especially the interior, and outside of the 'expected' dings and dents that a used vehicle of that type would have, I didn't have much I could complain about. It definitely is making a strong case for going that route, regardless of the fact I haven't heard back from the person selling the Spartan.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
This is taking some interesting turns currently.

So the 'gut and customize' plans will be on hold for a few years til the Morgan's in a running state. My father's suggested I clean it up and use it for a few years to get an idea of what I want / need out of it, and to make sure it'll be something I'll want to keep. The idea of using it as a camper has always been the goal.

I've not heard back from the Spartan seller, which is fine, as that would've been more expensive and required a lot more work than the Airstream Ambassador. I'd probably have that already but have been way too busy with work and household remodeling to meet with the seller yet. Hopefully will move forward with that in the next week.

All in all I'm looking forward to it. A project of this sort is something I consider fun. Also, I'm an Eagle Scout, though it's been fifteen years since I got that rank, and haven't been camping much at all in that time, so I'm looking forward to getting out and about on weekends.