Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Whangaparaoa , North Island
Hi from New Zealand

Hi! My name is Vicky and I'm currently living in New Zealand and looking for my first vintage Airstream to restore.

Not too sure how much of that work I will be able to do myself, but this forum seems a great way to get all the information required in order to make that decision.

I guess one of the biggest hurdles to start with will be the shipping costs involved...

V x
GingaSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome Gingasquid!

We are glad to have you with us... Good luck with the project!

Regards Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Petethefeet is a New Zealander with a few trailers...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
1975 26' Argosy 26
Flora , Indiana
Good luck with finding your AS. We think ASing is THE BEST way to see your wonderful country. I lived in NZ back in the 70's as an exchange student and fell in love with the place. My husband and I were blessed to be able to visit just 2yrs. ago. We rented a little camper van and took it around the North Island. Sadly, we didn't have time to do the South Island. We loved the experience but would have loved to have had our AS to travel in over there.
st.stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Welcome to the Airstream community. when you wonder if you can do it, if you can read, follow directions and have two hands, most jobs can be done without expertise. My rule is can I do it in a reasonable time and if somebody else does it will they actually know what they are doing, or will I have to pay for them to learn how to do it, and possibly screw it up. When you do it, you will also know how it works and will be able to repair or fix when you are in a remote area without anybody else near to fix it.
It also would help if while doing the repairs or remodel, you can locate to a place with supplies.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Whangaparaoa , North Island
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been stuck into this forum reading up loads. It does indeed seem like the most amazing resource network.

@St.Stephan - I have been here 3 years now and have yet to set foot on the South Island. I must get my backside in gear. Maybe when I have my airstream I can take it over on the ferry....?

@DaveFL - I am totally beginning to think you are right. I think that is the way forward. It will be just a matter of locating the right AS - I think an empty shell would be simplest and then build it back up from there myself once I have got it over to NZ. Subcontracting out any of the bits of work I can't do myself (eg frame welding). There is so much positive encouragement here - it almost seems do-able!
GingaSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Christchurch , Canterbury
This is Lake Tekapo of New Zealand. Here we are with our dream Airstream Flying Cloud, enjoying summer at this beautiful spot! Airstream is so rare here, and she certainly turns head everywhere we go! She is a beauty.

airstreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
1975 26' Argosy 26
Flora , Indiana
Airstreamz, beautiful! Such a beautiful country. We would love to tour NZ in our AS. Thank you for the photo share.
st.stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Christchurch , Canterbury
Yes, campsites are everywhere in NZ, it is a good way to tour around the country at minimal budget. We joined the NZMCA association, and they provide $2/night or free parking at gps pointed locations in NZ! Campsites usually charge between $15-$25 per person per night.
airstreamz is offline   Reply With Quote