Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2022, 05:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Crestview , Florida
Hi from Chuck and Jilla

Hi Everyone!

I'm Chuck and my love is Jilla. We are 'bi-coastal' with homes in St. Petersburg, FL and Buckley, WA. I spent 6 months in my '18 FC23CBB travelling the country and met Jilla on a cruise from Seattle to Alaska in August of 2021. We have been inseparable since :kiss
We traded in the FC in August of '22 for a 2022 International 27' FB with a hatch and spent a month in it getting from FL to WA.

We are happy to be a part of this community and will contribute . Hope to hit some rallies in the next year to meet you!
Chuck E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: You folks are certainly experienced Airstreamers. Your new trailer will make traveling more comfortable I bet.

And welcome to these Forums of all things Airstream. There are lots of good folks who participate and are willing to help answer any questions that may come up.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Hi Chuck and Jilla. A warm welcome from PA and FL (our winter home).

Looking forward to your contributions to the forum.

Which Airstream Club units have you joined? FL or WS, or both. Just curious.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:16 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Hi Chuck and Jilla. A warm welcome from PA and FL (our winter home).

Looking forward to your contributions to the forum.

Which Airstream Club units have you joined? FL or WS, or both. Just curious.
We are new to the Airforums and don't know much about the Clubs. Right now we are at a real nice RV park outside of Seattle, and expecting to be here for a few months... so perhaps we should check it out. mostly we want to roam.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:25 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Welcome from Colorado: You folks are certainly experienced Airstreamers. Your new trailer will make traveling more comfortable I bet.

And welcome to these Forums of all things Airstream. There are lots of good folks who participate and are willing to help answer any questions that may come up.

David
Thank you David!!

We are snuggled into our Airstream right now. Weather has been snowy and sub-freezing at nights, and it has been fun to tweak our heating game plan. Good to have full hookups here and heated hose...
Interesting note on the new models with tankless water heater.... IMO they not proving to be great. This is my observation after having been hooked up at both houses and about a dozen camps in the last 3 months... Consistently... there is not enough pressure from the camps/city (not sure if that is the onboard pressure control valve protecting pipes), so heater won't kick on as it needs more flow to work. So to get enough flow we have to turn on the pump (or two faucets on hot at the same time). So now, ironically, we are consuming way more water that what I did with a hot water tank in my old Flying Cloud in order to get a hot shower or wash dishes. I'm thinking I could change out some of the plumping to increase pipe size from heater to shower and kitchen (bath is slow, but its right above the heater and has barely enough flow to get the heater to fire up.) and then get more flow... but hate to even think about that with a brand new rig. anyways... just filling up and emptying tanks every other day for now. hence my happiness with full hookups. cheers!
Old 12-05-2022, 04:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Welcome.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:44 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with. We are one county east in Walton County.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Garden City , New York
So sweet!!!!!!! Wishing you healthy and happy travels with your shmoopie!

Bearstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:16 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Crestview , Florida
Thank you!
Old 12-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Your assessment of a tankless water heater is the same as mine. The idea is "endless hot showers" I guess. But you have to run a lot of water first before the thing starts producing the hot water. Why waste the water? Actually the standard 6 gallon RV water heater takes about 30 minutes to heat up in the morning and then keeps the water hot until you turn it off at bedtime. The new ones are set for really hot water so when mixed with cold will run a rather long shower. But is a long shower really necessary? There is a cold and hot water mixing valve in the new models that gives trouble sometimes.

Fancy isn't always better.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Your assessment of a tankless water heater is the same as mine. The idea is "endless hot showers" I guess. But you have to run a lot of water first before the thing starts producing the hot water. Why waste the water? Actually the standard 6 gallon RV water heater takes about 30 minutes to heat up in the morning and then keeps the water hot until you turn it off at bedtime. The new ones are set for really hot water so when mixed with cold will run a rather long shower. But is a long shower really necessary? There is a cold and hot water mixing valve in the new models that gives trouble sometimes.

Fancy isn't always better.

David

Agreed. My goal is to have the water running for less than 60 seconds in total. (It helps to have short, thinning hair.).

For showering and washing dishes, I’d be happy with a 3 gallon water heater. We tend to have ours on for about 20 minutes twice per day.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Agreed on the water heaters… the only satisfied experience I’ve had with a tankless is in my “shop” hand-sink where the heater sits 12-inches from the hot water tap.

(But even then, on a really frigid day, with the incoming water below 40F, it takes a painful-forever (30-secs of cold water is forever) with hands in cold water before it gets to 115-degrees.)

We’ll keep our 6-gal conventional water heater.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
We've never run out of hot water when showering with our 6 gallon water heater. I also like that it has a dual heat source, electric or propane. When camped with hookups it's on electric mode 24/7 so hot water is always available.

Do the new tankless water heaters have an electric or propane switch too? Sounds like these tankless water heaters are a big step backwards for Airstream.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Welcome - and come back!

Now that you have cruised Alaska and seen/experienced about 10%, come back by road and see another 10-15%! It is all awesome.

Or you could park the AS and go off-road or in-air to enjoy even more. the options are nearly endless and diverse.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:36 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Crestview , Florida
Agreed. I bet they change this or at least give the buyer an option.
The other annoyance is if you’re actually trying to save water and you turn the shower off and on while in there, the hot water stops each time you turn it off and you end up having to dump a bunch of cold water each time you turn it back on I’m pretty sure you’re losing more water with this and there’s no real way in an airstream to take an endless hot shower unless you’re connected to city water, have the pump running to get enough pressure, and have your grey water tank opened and connected to a sewer. All of that seems pretty absurd.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:24 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
We've never run out of hot water when showering with our 6 gallon water heater. I also like that it has a dual heat source, electric or propane. When camped with hookups it's on electric mode 24/7 so hot water is always available.

Do the new tankless water heaters have an electric or propane switch too? Sounds like these tankless water heaters are a big step backwards for Airstream.
I think the new tankless ones are propane only.
I'm thinking they will give an option on new ones to go back to the tank.