Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
EEC
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Dover Foxcroft , Maine
Hi from a Maine newbie

Hi all,

Have thought about an Airstream for a long time and finally talked to the PO last week about a unit that I had seen sitting for a long time ( there's two trees growing up right along side it). This 1969 31' foot Sovereign is bigger than what I want but the price was too good to pass up. So at least I'm in the game.

Interior and exterior are good but its been sitting since 1995. Some bruises on the shell and only minor clean up inside. But I haven't tried any of the systems yet. First order of business is to get it 170 miles home so I'd appreciate some advice.

1) Will replace the tires. Where are the jacking points? So that I can get all four wheels off and take them to a tire store.
2) How would you advise packing the wheel bearings?
3) Will replace the break away switch.
4) Should I replace the existing light connector and cord set to the TV? 5) Can I test the brakes just by jumping off a battery?
6) How adequate is my 2012 RAM 1500 for this?
7) How adequate are the existing original anti sway bars?

Any other advice for this trip? Planning on a mid-week day time move including about 150 Interstate miles.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure there will be many more requests for help.

Ed
EEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:29 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your questions, I would not jack the trailer. I just replaced all four of my wheels and tires using Lynx Levelers to make a ramp to lift one wheel at a time, raising the other one on the same side.

Repacking the hubs would be a good idea. The how would depend upon the hub type and your skill level.

If the break away switch ig gone, you should replace it.

Replacing the umbilical would depend on the condition of the old one. It would be best to test the brakes with the trailer hook to a tow vehicle.

Your half ton truck can handle a trailer of that vintage.

The old wd/anti sway bars are most likely OK. These were added by a prior own. Airstreams have never come new with any hitch system.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Do what you need to be safe driving it home.... then work on checking out everything else! Drive safely! Post photos, we love photos!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:06 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you haven't ever packed a bearing set, look for "how-to" video clips on YouTube; there are many. It isn't hard but is messy; nitrile gloves work great to minimize dirty hands. You'll be able to check out the condition of the brake shoes/drums at the same time.

Here's a clip demonstrating Moosetags' suggestion. I made a similarly shaped set from two old fence posts (8"x8) with a chainsaw so I could do two tires at a time. Four 2x8s nailed together in a stagger on one end will work as well if you don't have leveling legos or feel compelled to buy the plastic product.

SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
EEC
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Dover Foxcroft , Maine
Thanks all!
Will be starting this project next week and will add pix.
I was planning on jacking this up in order to get all four wheels off and making just one trip to the tire store. Suggestions?
EEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Suggest two trips to the tire store or replace wheels along with tires. I put some nice looking alloy wheels on my 64 for a very reasonable price.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote