Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

Barnstaple , Devon
Hi everyone from the uk

Good afternoon all,

I am looking to import a vintage airstream motorhome to the uk . We have been looking for a while and lost another deal just today . Gutted. We are selling up home in September and want to wander through the uk and Europe in style .

We are looking specifically for an Excella 24 or 28 . But we would prefer the 24 . We are finding them very hard to find and they seem quite rare to come to the market. We are happy to consider any condition .

We wait patiently and hope that someone on here might know of or have one to part with and come to a new home across the pond.

Thank you everyone in advance . Any info welcome.

Jane
Janesteeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings from Colorado: Welcome to Air Forums. I am a trailer (caravan?) person and know little about the motorhomes. I do know the new Airstream Interstate is a top seller in the "B" size segment of motorhomes in this country.

You probably have searched the Classifieds in these Forums for the vehicle you desire, link below. Posting here may prompt someone who hasn't advertised yet and they may contact you.

Good luck in your search...

David

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...r-sale/page/3/
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Sorry Jane, but due to President Trumps' recent tariffs on steel and aluminum imported into the USA from its allies due to National Security concerns, combined with the USA's inability to supply of its own demand for steel and aluminum; all efforts are being made in the USA to recycle as much of these metals as possible. Therefore all Argosy and Classic motorhomes have been reclassified as imperative to the National Security of the USA and thusly would be impossible under the current political climate to export these vehicle out of the USA.

There does exist a very small chance that certain Argosy and Classic motorhomes, bought before the tariffs were put into place maybe exempt, but you would need the savvy and very well connected Martin of Chestfield Kent to guide you through the labyrinth and perplexity of importing a 120 volt, American made 30+ year old motorhome.

You can read all about it here.........

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310...ad-125552.html

FYI I'd sell you mine, but it's a 310 turbo diesel, and my 24' Argosy is awaiting its 12 valve P-pump Cummins transplant.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS love Devonshire cream with fruit.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #4

Barnstaple , Devon
thank you for replies everyone

Many thanks for your replies.

A quick question relating to buying in the US from a distance.

Does anyone know how i can make sure that a seller is genuine? Is there any advice on this . I am totally unfamiliar with US and wouldnt know if a seller is genuine or not. Any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks all.

jane
Old 06-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesteeley View Post
Many thanks for your replies.

A quick question relating to buying in the US from a distance.

Does anyone know how i can make sure that a seller is genuine? Is there any advice on this . I am totally unfamiliar with US and wouldnt know if a seller is genuine or not. Any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks all.

jane
Great question!

The buying and selling of RVs and many other items over the internet has been plagued by criminals who want to separate you from your money. The best option is always to meet the seller at the Airstream and verify the documentation matches the equipment and the identity of the seller. That is not always possible, but an alternative would be to have someone who is not connected to the seller inspect the RV and report back to you on what they have found.

Good luck with your search...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just ask Martin, or even better read Martin's Peanut thread to fully understand the pitfalls of buying sight unseen; even though the original owner was an air forums member and posted frequently of his work on Peanut.

My suggestion to you would be to get to know who the Classic/Argosy owners are on the forums and where they live. If you, or they, come across something that could possibly interest you, asking them to help you out in assessing condition and validity of the owner could be done.

I just purchased a 1975 Argosy 24' in Ohio and Bkahler (Brad) who lives five hours away in Kentucky drove up to help me assess the motorhome. Brad is extremely knowledgeable and as with others on this site knows the problem areas to look for.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I was being a bit tonque in cheek about the tariffs, but know this, there are still a lot of hurdles to overcome; most of them in your country.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 06-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #7

Barnstaple , Devon
That’s my great worry.

I probably wouldn’t come over and see the vehicle in person. Not too worried about the state of vehicle itself but have heard horror stories of sending money and there is no airstream. It’s just a plain scam , false pictures etc.

There is a 240 24 advertised in the classifieds for 15k near Atlanta Georgia . Is there anyone near there ..? Who could take a look for me. ... or knows someone who might be able to.
I really appreciate everyone’s help on here. Feeling less intimidated knowing there could be a little help ��

Thanks
Old 06-03-2018, 12:48 AM   #8
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hi Jane

Firstly there are a few of the motorhomes already in the Uk and they do come up for sale over here occasionally. My first advice would be to get to know the UK motorhome owners via this forum, the Airstream Argosy Owners Facebook group and the UK Airstreamers Facebook group.

Secondly, or maybe I should say this first. Any price you pay is just the entrance fee, if the motorhome has been stored (even if it was perfect going into storage) then expect $10-15K to get it back on the road, if it is 'original' inside that just means another bunch of money to replace with systems that works, and even then expect a list of things that need repairing on a regular basis. Some people buy classic motorhomes to use and expect there to be a bill for repairs as a cost of using them; some people buy classic motorhomes because they like working on them, some people do the second whilst their family do number one - gives the hubby something to do whilst camping!

Thirdly, you cannot regard these as anything other than a 40 year old vehicle with a box on top. Would you buy a 40 year old vehicle with a box on top, and expect it to work faultless? If you answer yes, then walk away now, because no purchase will meet your expectations - I have sympathy for owners of new Airstreams when they don't work/have faults, but even those have issues as soon as they use them.

Fourthly, and I am just checking, you know these things do less than 2miles per liter of petrol? Just using them is horrendously expensive.

Fifth (and I am nowhere near the bottom of this barrel), how are you going to get it from the seller to the port? There is one member here who recently relocated back to UK after an overseas posting. They have a 24ft Argosy, that they bought and used in the US. They now have a dilemma as the cost of shipping it back to the UK is $10K plus duties, they may have to sell simply because they can't move it. There was also (briefly) a member on here last year (maybe the year before) who bought an Excella and the shipping agent wrecked the front end whilst transferring to the port. Last they posted the shipping insurance only covered on the ship;I have no idea but I suspect he not only ended up not getting paid but probably had the additional cost of disposing of the remains of his 'new' motorhome.

Sixth.....go back to my first bullet and learn all of this from the other UK based motorhome owners, unless you are intent on learning from your own mistakes and have very deep pockets. Referencing Tony's earlier comments; Bella cost the equivalent of a new Ferrari F12 to restore, and still cost another 15K (pounds) to get her roadworthy for the UK because of UK emissions laws. Peanut, had extensive work done to it back in 2008-9 (not that long ago?) and was initially used by its new owner up to to 2011-12, including having 'work done by a local garage', it then appears to have sat in a swamp in Florida for 6 years before I bought it. It had it towed to the same garage and serviced and it was declared roadworthy, by a professional, commercial garage. It needed tires according to them, that's all. Well I had replacement wheels and tires so rather than taking those to Florida I had Peanut shipped to Brad's place......the rest is in the Peanut thread. If it was not for Brad and Ernie, Peanut would have been shipped straight to a junkyard because anything else would be throwing good money after bad. Remember every vehicle drove to its current resting point - that does not matter, why it is sitting in its current resting point does.

My advice; try and buy a motorhome that is already in the UK, but expect a number x5 over the one for sale in Georgia, or try to buy one from an active member here (too often folks sign up to the forum just to post stuff for sale), or maybe contact the member here who has the 24ft Argosy MH that has the shipping dilemma, but in any case dont be in any delusion that what you buy will not be a money pit.....

Oh, and also sign up for The Camping and Caravanning Club Arrival breakdown coverage (https://www.campingandcaravanningclu...-and-recovery/) as you will probably use it
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #9
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Greetings from Colorado: Welcome to Air Forums. I am a trailer (caravan?) person and know little about the motorhomes. I do know the new Airstream Interstate is a top seller in the "B" size segment of motorhomes in this country.

You probably have searched the Classifieds in these Forums for the vehicle you desire, link below. Posting here may prompt someone who hasn't advertised yet and they may contact you.

Good luck in your search...

David

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...r-sale/page/3/
Since the mid-90's you need a special license to drive any vehicle over 3.5t in Europe and so all the class B's that are here are single axle, under 3.5t and the Interstate is simply not viable.

If you are lucky, and you are older, then your license covers you for bigger vehicles, but it doesn't make sense to sell a vehicle when anyone born after approx 1978 will not be able to drive, without get a special license.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:17 AM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Jane

Martins build was pretty extreme, but shop labour rates can add up pretty fast @ $100 or so dollars an hour.

You need to tell us a lot more about yourself:

1) How handy are you? Woodworking, steetmetal working, electrical, plumbing etc.

2) What was your budget for getting this project done, ready to go and in your driveway?

3) What money are you ready to spend to save you money in the long run?

In my case, driving a 4 tonne vehicle with a huge 454 getting 8mpg at $131.00 CAN per litre is not going to happen. Now I've been lucky and bought a 1994 Dodge truck with a good 12 valve Cummins in it for $1,500 CAN; the conversion will cost me $10-15 thousand, but I hope to recoup that through use.

The one huge go ahead for my project was picking up a hardly used Argosy for $1,000.00 US. Worst comes to worst, I'm into this project for $25,000.00 Canadian; engine conversion done, interior done (I'm a cabinetmaker) and all systems ready to go.

If your DYI skill set is almost zero then you either need to spend as much as you can on a coach that requires almost nothing done to it, or look at something else.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 06-04-2018, 01:48 AM   #11

Barnstaple , Devon
Thanks Martin and tony , all advice greatly received.
We are aware of everything you said but good to be reminded. We are capable of doing most the work ourselves including interior. We don’t want original interior we will rip out anyway back to shell.
We will convert to lpg to get a bit more out of her. Money not the problem. Finding one and getting a seller to reply to my emails seems to be a bigger problem ������
For some reason.
Agreed better to get one in this country but can’t find one. We are not in a hurry but would like to find by end of the year.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Nigel McGuire has just listed his 280 on the UKAirstreamers Facebook group
Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Pelham Manor , New York
Quote:
That’s my great worry.

I probably wouldn’t come over and see the vehicle in person. Not too worried about the state of vehicle itself but have heard horror stories of sending money and there is no airstream. It’s just a plain scam , false pictures etc.

There is a 240 24 advertised in the classifieds for 15k near Atlanta Georgia . Is there anyone near there ..? Who could take a look for me. ... or knows someone who might be able to.
I really appreciate everyone’s help on here. Feeling less intimidated knowing there could be a little help ��

Thanks
Hi Jane

I have a rear bath 28' Excella for sale. Are you on facebook?
NigelNigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Clamensane , PACA
Hi everyone from the uk

Quote:
Good afternoon all,

I am looking to import a vintage airstream motorhome to the uk . We have been looking for a while and lost another deal just today . Gutted. We are selling up home in September and want to wander through the uk and Europe in style .

We are looking specifically for an Excella 24 or 28 . But we would prefer the 24 . We are finding them very hard to find and they seem quite rare to come to the market. We are happy to consider any condition .

We wait patiently and hope that someone on here might know of or have one to part with and come to a new home across the pond.

Thank you everyone in advance . Any info welcome.

Jane

Check in France, there is a guy in the south ouest he sell some and he have two 24 I think and one with curved window at the back
You find him in the website Leboncoin.fr
Constantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Clamensane , PACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Since the mid-90's you need a special license to drive any vehicle over 3.5t in Europe and so all the class B's that are here are single axle, under 3.5t and the Interstate is simply not viable.

If you are lucky, and you are older, then your license covers you for bigger vehicles, but it doesn't make sense to sell a vehicle when anyone born after approx 1978 will not be able to drive, without get a special license.

The special license in France is the C license, with that you can drive any vehicle until 32T, it cost 1700€ in France and it took between 10 and 20 day to get it, it’s not difficult at all, you just have to learn what they tell you.
I have a 345 motorhome with the 454, and no trouble with the regulation for pollution because it’s older than 30 years, but I bought it in France Click image for larger version

Name:	F5437637-AED3-4FD7-9D39-F0878B96C8D9.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	313592
Constantin is offline   Reply With Quote