Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Houma , Louisiana
Hi Everyone!

Greetings from South Louisiana!
I have a 1972 Airstream International Sovereign 31'.
I did buy it second hand/used in very good condition (85%) back in 2000.
The prior owner had several RV's stationed across the Southeast USA due to his type of work (Road Construction). The ‘Silver Bullet” has served us well over the past 10 years. Most of my upkeep is to try to keep at or above 85%. The inside is immaculate! The finish is dull due to clear coat deterioration.
My brother has a 74 Airstream International 31’ that needed some extra body panel work and a warped door problem. Maintaining 2 of these trailers has given the both of us insight to the tricks of the trade. I would be glad to assist others with tips if I can.
At this time, we are working on repairing and probably replacing the roof vent covers next season. Our trailers have 3 roof vent covers each. While making a temporary repair using fiberglass stranded bondo, I noticed on my RV that the center vent lid had a small ˝” hole that appears to be factory made. Why would a hole be in the roof lid from the factory? Is it a “double bottom” design lid perhaps and the hoe is for trapped rainwater evaporation??
RedFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Hey I bet your having fun with'em too...I used to live in Lake Charles are you folk any where near there? Got any oil related gossip about the coast? Welcome to the forums!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
( I dare 'REDFLAMINGO' to show up at any minute ha!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #4

1972 31' Sovereign
Houma , Louisiana
Hello;
Yes, I am in the New Orleans coastal area. We call it the "evacuation area". The heavy oil has made it to the barrier islands and the delta marshes of the Mississippi River. It is not a good situation. My grandfather took me fishing at 10 years old down near the Grand Isle area. On some days, you can smell the oil in the air when the wind is light and from the South or Southeast. I don't think the whole truth will ever be reveled. I have experience building the offshore structures so when the leak amount was announced, I was sckeptical.
RedFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
There are many professionals of various types on here, they ought to chime in with their opinion about that oil leak, huh guys? I know the gulf has always been a place where things would drift in from the outer ocean, we used to go shrimping on the Calcashu river and wpuld watch those HUGE tankers coming in loaded with oil. Thats a shame this had to happen. By the way- Inland RV and a kind fellow named Andy R. can help you with questions about holes, he's on here somewhere. Yesterday I went to let a bedroom window down and it came loose where the arm connects to the windows frame- now I have to look at what kind of connective hardware I will have to fix it with, we got a hardware store right across the street and I was thinking of rivets first but will know tomorrow.