Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Benbrook , Texas
Question Hi Air Forum. We need advice.

We are doing diligent research as we begin planning for full-time RVing! We are looking at investing in an Airstream, because honestly, the reputation of these trailers sells the lifestyle. That being said, we are driving a 2017 Toyota Tundra CrewMax with a 5.7L. We do have the trailering package on it, from the factory.

We are looking at the 27ft models, probably in the Flying Cloud. What do you (our experts ) think of the match? We foresee going pretty much all over the US in our rig, including mountains, but we have towed before and can be patient when towing slows us down. We do NOT want to be straining our engine more than necessary, though.

Your thoughts are very welcome! Thanks for your posts, and thanks in advance for your advice.
jpkuhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
my opinion:
The Tundra will be at the limit of it's towing capacity with a 27', but workable "IF" you load it correctly. Lack of payload capacity will be the main issue.
Towing up steep grades will be slow. Going down, the cart will be pushing the horse. As long as everything (brakes on both vehicles and drivetrain) is working properly it should be ok.

I'm towing similarly, with my Silverado 1500 and 25' trailer.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Tundras reportedly tow very well, and are reliable. Payload may be a issue.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
This is a pretty close comparison: https://youtu.be/AFg6eDuZ85E
gsp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Never had a problem towing steep grades with my Tundra.
If you want to test your TV.
Take the road to Jerome, AZ.
Pulled my 25' Nash (GVWR 7,000#) up and thru Jerome and down the other side.
Like any half ton TV it has it's cargo carrying limits.
I carry all the tools I need, 2 Yamaha 2K watt generators full of fuel and 5 gallons extra.
Weber grill, 20# propane tank. Ramps for changing a tire. And the list goes on.
I also tow a 26' Argosy with the Tundra. Been across Hwy 12 in southern Utah with grades up to 14% both up and down. Never had a problem with lack of power or braking capability.
I replaced a '98 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup with the Tundra and have no regrets.
To date the Tundra has towed one or the other of the above trailers in excess of 45,000 miles with no issues.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Hi there, all the best in your decision.
Be warned, asking for opinions can bring out the beast in some folks and you may get more than bargained for. Lol
There are tons of opinions on tow vehicles out there on different threads.
I would Suggest respectfully and in the interest in being helpful that you consider getting a diesel 3/4 or one ton truck. There is comfort in having the ability to use the exhaust brake in tow haul mode while heading down steep grades. The additional tow/haul capacity means you can carry all the things that make life fun once you get to that campground.
Be warned, some folks are emotionally invested in a brand or particular size of tow vehicle and will fight to the death to convince you that they can can tow a 27 to 30 foot Airstream with a medium sized SUV. Granted, it can be done if you are very very careful but that does not mean it is a very good idea.
The piece of mind knowing that you are not straining every vehicle component trying to make your daily driver serve as a tow vehicle will take some stress out of your adventures plus the vehicle will last longer.
Of course, having a dedicated monster tow vehicle may not be financially possible or practical for those people who need a daily driver that serves both functions.
Only you can look at your particular circumstances and decide what is best for you and your family.
Now with all that being said, bigger is usually better in a tow vehicle.
By way of reference I tow a 30’ Airstream Classic with a one ton truck.
I never have an overheating issue and I can maintain 55 mph up a steep grade. By way of experience, I have hauled trailers for 40 years without incident. I hope my option was helpful to you.
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehawkers View Post
Hi there, all the best in your decision.
Be warned, asking for opinions can bring out the beast in some folks and you may get more than bargained for. Lol
There are tons of opinions on tow vehicles out there on different threads.
I would Suggest respectfully and in the interest in being helpful that you consider getting a diesel 3/4 or one ton truck. There is comfort in having the ability to use the exhaust brake in tow haul mode while heading down steep grades. The additional tow/haul capacity means you can carry all the things that make life fun once you get to that campground.
Be warned, some folks are emotionally invested in a brand or particular size of tow vehicle and will fight to the death to convince you that they can can tow a 27 to 30 foot Airstream with a medium sized SUV. Granted, it can be done if you are very very careful but that does not mean it is a very good idea.
The piece of mind knowing that you are not straining every vehicle component trying to make your daily driver serve as a tow vehicle will take some stress out of your adventures plus the vehicle will last longer.
Of course, having a dedicated monster tow vehicle may not be financially possible or practical for those people who need a daily driver that serves both functions.
Only you can look at your particular circumstances and decide what is best for you and your family.
Now with all that being said, bigger is usually better in a tow vehicle.
By way of reference I tow a 30’ Airstream Classic with a one ton truck.
I never have an overheating issue and I can maintain 55 mph up a steep grade. By way of experience, I have hauled trailers for 40 years without incident. I hope my option was helpful to you.
+1
Yes, the Tundra will tow it, but likely close to its max capacity.
I started towing my 28 with an Expedition, but quickly traded it for an F250 Diesel. The difference in ease of towing was very noticeable.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: You mentioned you dream of going full time; being "gypsies" so to speak. Certainly there are a lot of considerations before taking that plunge. Plenty of people do it.

That said, you may be wise to consider a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck because you may truly run into cargo capacity issues. You are likely to carry more stuff than a couple out for a three week sightseeing trip like we do.

Most importantly, don't exceed the manufacturer's axle weight ratings, gross vehicle weight ratings, or combined vehicle weight ratings. I know some feel these are just marketing numbers easily ignored. Guys like me like to boast about how heavy a trailer we just pulled, what a beast of a truck I have. But I'm not going to pull a 30,000 pound trailer over Vail Pass with my Super Duty. It isn't designed for that kind of work. I do believe the manufacturers design and qualify the vehicle for those weight numbers to the satisfaction of their lawyers and the like.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I tow a 28’ with F150 Ecoboost with max tow haul. It works fine. However I’ve never been to the mountains.

The big advantage with today’s diesels is the engine brake. But I have a friend that took his 27’ (not AS) through the mountains for month and he did just fine; although on one stretch his brakes got pretty hot.

The only thing I might consider is a Propride hitch to help with stability on the windy stretches on the plains although it will take away from payload; which is the downside. I notice a significant difference in stability with the Propride from my previous hitch when driving in heavy traffic through Chicago. But my other hitch was doable and it sounds like you have experience in towing.

The tundra seems pretty decent and actually considered getting one. Very reliable vehicle. But I had a Ford dealer near me and decided to stay local.

What I would do is just try it. Plenty of people use the Tundra for that size AS

If you went with 30’ I would say definitely a 3/4 ton.

P.S. If you are going to full time I would consider the 30’. The dealer that I was dealing with said if you are out for 2 to 3 weeks the 27’ or 28’ works great. But out longer the 30’ is more functional. But others might have a different viewpoint that aren’t trying to sell you something
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
"Full timing" is a big deal, though people sometimes mean different things by that. If you mean carrying everything you're going to keep as you move from place to place, and you're not SERIOUS minimalists, you probably will end up wanting a big one-ton with a cap and a good storage system so you can have the back fairly densely packed and still get to stuff (bed trays, side access systems, etc.)

We travel with a half-ton and a 27' trailer (a 26U Flying Cloud) and we can do a pretty easy 2 week trip within specs, but we don't have the trailer loaded to gross with all our shoes and anvil collection for that. If you're going to get a trailer, travel around and get used to it and over time transition to full-timing, start with what you've got and do the numbers. Run across CAT scales when you're loaded for travel, see how the rig works for shorter trips, etc. You can always trade the truck if you decide you need to or want to. While trucks aren't cheap, they're not rare either so you can ALWAYS find the right truck once you've found the right trailer. It's hard to find a high-capacity half-ton but any decent dealer will have a bunch of gigantic HD trucks waiting for you to pick one.

I'm a big proponent of "enough" instead of "overkill." even so, for my part, I'm pretty sure I couldn't get away with full-timing with 2 people and a dog and the 26U with my F150. If we were bouncing between a winter and summer camp with a shed or cabin at each end, maybe, but that's not what most people think of as "full timing."

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote