Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Hello to everyone who loves vintage

We recently purchased a 1975 Argosy, 26 foot travel trailer. We are partial to older Airstream products, but considering our intetion is to park the trailer on our seaside cottage lot (salt water) we/he decided the painted version would require less upkeep. John owns a car detailing business.

We have a 1961 Impala 4 door sedan which we have been restoring, as much as possible to original. Do all the car shows.

It is our intention to do the same with the Argosy. This trailer is in amazing condition for being 30 years old. We are most interested (at this time) in cosmetic repairs and would appreciate any information relating to fabrics and patterns insofar as restoring upholstery and draperies. Also flooring.

Have visited your forum previously, it's great. Keep up the good work!
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Hi Love Vintage and welcome. You will find all the help you need here. l have. Good luck with your restoration. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by love vintage
We recently purchased a 1975 Argosy, 26 foot travel trailer. We are partial to older Airstream products, but considering our intetion is to park the trailer on our seaside cottage lot (salt water) we/he decided the painted version would require less upkeep. John owns a car detailing business.

We have a 1961 Impala 4 door sedan which we have been restoring, as much as possible to original. Do all the car shows.

It is our intention to do the same with the Argosy. This trailer is in amazing condition for being 30 years old. We are most interested (at this time) in cosmetic repairs and would appreciate any information relating to fabrics and patterns insofar as restoring upholstery and draperies. Also flooring.

Have visited your forum previously, it's great. Keep up the good work!

One good source are vintage Argosy brochures. That is if you want to go back with the original colors and patterns. I find them funky, but attractive if done properly. Forum member Overlander64 has some of them posted on his photo gallery on these forums. ( If memory serves me)
Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Disco

I have the owners manual and brochure from our '78. Doesn't look like they updated it from '68 Well, OK the AMC Pacer wasn't out in the 60's and there's decidedly more polyester .

Don't want to discourage your restoration but even though I graduated HS in '76 I don't recall a lot from the mid 70's that was a standout icon of American design. Our Argosy came repainted in a non stock color but the interior is actually pretty nice. Well, except for the Harvest Gold in the bathroom. Thank god they didn't order the Avocado Green counters .

Now that '61 Impala, that's a classic. Painful to admit as a Ford fan but GM had it all over Ford in the 50's and early 60's when it came to styling.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We have owned a 77 Argosy 26 foot for 4 years. It is in excellent condition. Although I really wanted an Airstream I never found one in the condition that I wanted. Now that I have the Argosy I wouldn't anything else. It is an unique trailer. Down her in San Antonio we are the only ones showing up at the Airstream funtions with an Argosy. To me, it has a class of its own.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
The Spirit of Vintage

I see at times a division (maybe that's not the right word) of sorts that separate late(r) models and old(er)/early models. But aren't all Airstreams about a Vinatge feel and look to RVing? While I have only owned my A/S for 6 days, in the time, I have had a handful of people approach me and ask is that one of those old trailers? I sort of look at my '05 A/S as a Vintage Travel Trailer with an updated interior. I am aware, however, that there is a difference of finding an old'er' unit and doing a restoration in terms of having an A/S that has 'lived' through decades past.

Only because I more of a turn-key experience, I was happy to be able to purchase a new A/S that carries the spirit, look and heritage of a vintage A/S.