Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2023, 03:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
Hello! Thinking about ordering my first AS

Hello,

My name is Ian. I am retiring in the near future and my wife and I are looking to do a lap our two around North America. We intend to primarily use places like Harvest Hosts and the occasional nice campground if it's special. We are currently debating between a Leisure Travel Van or a 25' International RTB Airstream. Think we are leaning towards an AS so we have a nice vehicle to go sightseeing without taking our whole rig

Just trying to educate myself before pulling the trigger. These are a lot of money and I want to make sure we buy the one we really want the first time. It's important that I can tow it with my new Sierra Denali so thinking the 25' RTB is about max I'd want to pull.

I'd appreciate any links/tips that you advise! Glad to find this community! Thanks for reading!
Riskinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:12 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

My best advise...purchase a gently used late model.
Let someone else take the depreciation hit, and the anxiety of having all the "new AS blues' taken care of."

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-05-2023, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Hello and welcome to the forum. It's great place for all things AS.

We have had a 25 FBT and a 27 FBT. The two extra feet make a big difference. But both are in what many consider the size "sweet spot".

Have you spent any time in any of them? I would recommend you find an AS Rally (airstreamclub.org) and stop in for a visit. You will be welcomed and you will find just about every size of AS made plus people willing to share the specific pros and cons.

Enjoy your search and I hope you decide on an AS!

All the best!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Huntington Beach , California
Try before you buy

Hello and welcome!

I suggest you “try before you buy”. We rented a 25’ and camped in it for a few days before deciding we prefer the 27’. This experiment seems very prudent in any case… but especially as you consider van versus travel trailer.

Congrats on retirement and good luck!
Slvr_Lining is offline   Reply With Quote