Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Hello People

I am new to this forum, Hope to see some of you on the road some day.
I have a ways to go before I am in a Motor Home or Trailer.
Gary
Weebco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Well Welcome to the Forum Gary. I guess you are interested in an Airstream. Can't decide between a MH or TT? Well then, what are your needs? Perhaps we can all help you out with the pros and cons of each!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Yes Welcome!
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome Weebco!

I figure that finances and fate will put you in some sort of Airstream before too long.

I'll be looking for you around the campfire.

As you find them feel free to ask questions. If you post a pic. or two the wizards here will be able to tell you a surprising amount of info about condition and any warning signs.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Welcome

Gary:

Howdy and Welcome from fellow Texans who are looking too for the perfect Airstream. We've had an Airstream motorhome and a trailer and found that the trailer fit our needs the best.

Please give us a call if we can help you look for a particular size or model or if you just want to talk 'Streamin.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How-dee!

Make sure you check the Classifieds here. Great place to find a nice trailer or moho. DO tell us your age, family situation, plans to use it - good advice will be abundant.

You'll find roughly three groups here,
  1. I want to go camping tomorrow - (Moi), who buy new or nearly new
  2. True Renovators - who buy and restore vintage units - look at Boatdoc's Argosy and search for "the full monte"
  3. Bargain hunters - who are looking for the best bargains out there that need minimal refurb/repairs.
I would also suggest that you
  1. Find the Airstream dealer(s) in your neighborhood, but leave your checkbook home, and duct tape the hand you write with to a board so you can't sign anything - SIT, stand, lay on the bed, try the bathroom on for size
  2. Check here for upcoming rallies and drop in and visit. Most people love to show off their units, and you CAN get a great deal of first hand ideas about which one will fit your needs best
  3. be patient. They are making more of them. The right one will come along - and the more you know before you buy the happier you'll be with your purchase.
  4. DO NOT fear getting a bigger one. Bigger used ones tend to go for less than small ones (gas prices? tow vehicle requirements?). If your budget permits, be prepared to replace your vehicle for a bigger one to tow your Airstream. If you end up with a 31 foot A/S you'll probably keep it much longer than any tow vehicle. Used tow vehicles are a bargain particularly if they are not your daily drive vehicle.
Most of all Have Fun Searching!

Paula Ford
Old 02-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Welcome, Weebco. You've found the right forum to participate in and the right RV to own. Everything else is gravy...

Regardless whether or not you go with a MoHo or a trailer, you'll be towing something. With a MoHo, unless you're renting cars at various locations you camp at (or don't plan on really going anywhere, ie. grocery store), you'll be towing a car. The other is obvious... unhitch and go. With a MoHo, you'll have two engines to maintain, two drivetrains + the usualy RV stuff comparable to both. Also, if the MoHo developes some big service issues whilst on the road, you may be out of a "house" for awhile. But, the MoHo is awfully convinient for short jaunts... start 'er up and drive away. More storage and usually, more carrying capacity, too. But that maintainence...!

Guess the decision is six one way, half dozen the other according to your perspective. Good luck in your choice and happy 'Streamin'!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote