Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Hello I'm NEW!!

Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I'm currently looking for a vintage Airstream to buy. I think I have found a 1948 19' Trailwind. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for on this model? Does someone have one they could tell me what they like and don't like about it. I'm just trying to take the big dive so to speak.
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
48 Trailwind

Welcome to the forums. We have a new 53 25' cruiser and discovered tha there is a lot of information available on the forums. If you haven't discovered the archives, you can go to Vintageairstreams.com and find some pictures of a 48 trailwind. Enjoy Wade.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
While I can't answer your question, I wanted to welcome you here to the forums - where you can find all things Airstream. I'm sure you'll get some replies in the AM, things start to slow down here this time of night.
In the meantime, do a search for the model or go to the forums page and look for it there. I'm not familiar with Trailwind model though - could it be Tradewind?
Good luck in your search, and it's good to have you here.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
oldtrucksrul, yea they do !

That trailwind is a cool vintage trailer for sure .Try the vintage kin section
as those threads have some folks with older trailers that are similar and
cousins to airstreams . Id go for it if you want an early vintage
airstream and the cool factor on it is a biggie for sure .They were more
primitive " if you will " in some respects ,those early units did not have
some of the amenities of later trailers ,but a rare trailwind is worth grabbing
up if you really like it ,they utilize a pipe frame ,not a traditional ladder type
frame ,although many replace the frame if needed and keep the pipe in the
rear showing for the original look .It will grab attention for sure and
those panels are way cool as well .Good luck with your find !!

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hi New and welcomen,

I thought your mention of having a "Trailwind" must have been a typo as I have a Tradewind and have never hard of that model. Sounds like a lucky find. I guess the big decision for you will be keep it original or go custom. I would, if possible keep it as original as possible but that's just me. I would go for one end or the other though. I have seen a few mix and match jobbies and think in between destroys the beauty, and maybe the value, of the trailer.

PS. I was looking for an opportunity for my 100th post to the forum and you're it.

Keep on Truckin
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, and good luck in your search for the perfect Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Okay, your oldtrucksrul moniker has me interested. What kind of old trucks? Is that what you are intending to use as a tow vehicle?

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums. If it's to do with vintage Airstreams this is the place - and quite a few members use old trucks to haul their units.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Barry,

I do have a couple of old trucks, I do intend to pull the trailer with them. This is why I'm going with the lightest trailer I can find. This one claims to be 1750 lbs when new. It is a one owner with no mods so I think it's real close to the original weight. I have a 1952 Chevy Suburban and a 1954 Chevy Pickup. You can take a look at them at. Picasa Web Albums - Cory - Suburban afte...
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Nice trucks - I could see my GT behind either one...
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
Would love to see some pictures. There were a few Trailwinds at the International Rally in Salem this past year. They were very cool. A one owner is very rare. Where did you find it ? Good luck and let us know how it turns out. We'd love to find a small one old like that.

Pam and Wade
Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Cory,

Neat trucks. They look like they have been well taken care of, or restored nicely. I chose an early Airstream due to the light weight, knowing I may have to add waste tanks and a bathroom if I didn't find one that already had that done, and it turned out I did have to add them but it was not a big deal - just some time and a bit of jingle for the tanks/toilet/waste valves and then the time nights and weekends. Since towing with a vintage vehicle is becoming more and more unique I also wanted a vintage trailer that would complement the car and we've been looking for just the right Airstream for years. It would have been our preference to find a '57 Safari trailer but the few we found were either too costly or needing far too much to complete. In the meantime we towed other brands of vintage trailers, but we found they just were not as much fun as the Airstream has turned out to be. We wanted to stay in the 20' to 24' range for weight, a practical size to tow and live in for several days regardless of the outside weather, and room for a bathroom. This trailer has worked perfectly. There are some good deals out there on quality Airstreams of 50's vintage if that's what you want, and they are a ton of fun. Either of your trucks pulling an Airstream would be dynamite. Good luck with your search,
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
practice searching skills..

Just wanted to affirm that there are dozens of prior threads on subject of checklists and buyer inspections amongh the thousands and thousands of messages left here..

Using search tab above, you can use search word combinations like pre-purchase or checklist or buyer or inspection and see what you find... The server can handle multiple terms, and sometimes you have to get lucky to find right combination of words for what you're looking for...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote