Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #1

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
burlington , Vermont
HEllo! Im new...

Hiya! I am new to this forum. My husband and I just bought a gutted 1978 Argosy Minuet 6 Metre and are very slooowwwlllyyyy getting going on it. We wish we were moving faster. Our plan was to do a quick turnaround of this thing to head from our home in Vermont to visit family in Oakland and Portland, OR during the pandemic. We are not planning a restoration as much as a renovation for the future. We want to make it very well insulated for 4 season travel, and have most of the power from rooftop solar. I am a net-zero building contractor and my husband is a therapist: perfect for a renovation like this!

We hope to leave things open for upgrades over time, but for now just want as bare bones as possible while being warm and dry, and being self sufficient on the road. We will have lots of questions I'm sure, and looking forward to gaining knowledge from all the seasoned veterans on here. We have not done much metalworking (but looking forward to new tools and skills), and have never towed anything before. There is nothing about this that is not an adventure. Oh, did I mention we are newlyweds?! Thanks in advance for all the help! So far we have found the community to be welcoming and friendly-We hope some day we can contribute from the other side of the conversation.
TripleHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Welcome to AirForums! We are glad to have you with us. And congratulations on your new marriage.

There is a lot of really deep Airstream knowledge around here, so you can learn a lot. I personally have not done a renovation or restoration so I don't have any pointers to get you started. I hope you enjoy your trailer and the places it will take you.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Welcome to the forum-family! There are some very good threads under the "Technical" section of the forum dealing with interior and exterior renovations/restorations.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hello Tripleheart, greetings from central Kentucky and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're on the threshold of a great adventure. Good luck with the restoration. Be sure to post some pics for the rest of us to enjoy.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby with your Argosy. They are very special Airstreams indeed.

You probably already found the forums Airstream Knowledgebase near the bottom of the forums page. Then find Argosy Trailers. There you can read all about your particular trailer. I find the Knowledgebase very specific to a Airstream model and enjoy reading renovation "blogs" of folks that have done what you want to do.

Here is a link: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f230/

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote