Old 08-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Williamsburg , Virginia
Smile Hello from VA

Hi all:

I am brand new not only to Airstream but to RVs, all of it. Shiny n00b.

Just started looking and I think I fell in love with Airstream from some long ago connection to one (barely), a family member had an old one for a while and I thought it was so cool.

So now flash forward and I am on my own with my 80lb Lab and wanting to make a huge life change and go for it as a FT RVer, in, I think, a Basecamp 16X.

I am putting down a refundable deposit on a new one today (most likely). And I have not ever seen one in person. I will, of course. The refundable deposit one won't be in til the end of the year, so I have time to research and ask you guys annoying questions. Hah.

I am scared, but excited. My situation has been so bad and with all this pandemic stuff I realized I have to get out and GO, now. Not a spring chicken. Carpe diem and all. Saw some YT videos of solo women with their dog buzzing all over the place in Basecamps and it just looks like me. Always been independent and I can learn anything (given enough time and patience). And with some wise counsel (which is where you guys come in, I hope!).

I will be towing using my 2002 Escalade. I know, I know. "Wow that's old." Hey, I maintained this thing very well ever since day one. It is rated to tow 7400+ and I know I did not want to push that limit by getting a longer bigger travel trailer. I wanna keep things under 5000 lbs if I can.

I want to see the South Dakota area, in particular, but am open to any place where I am not sweating all the time. Grew up in HOT humid places and crazy as it sounds, you get reaaaaally tired of that. I want pines and mountains, snow, or at least cool temps.

OK, that's it for now. Thanks for letting me ramble and babble.
Sheri

SheriMICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Welcome to the forums, Sheri. You have found the Library of Congress equivalent for Airstream specific knowledge and a great source for generic RV info and lifestyle insights. You will find a tab labeled SEARCH in the blue bar and it will help accelerate your research.

Trailer size and features are best matched with your imagined travel behavior, companions, and destinations. In your case, a four legged partner makes a great pairing as most love the notion of daily adventures and a truck ride. No worries about being single as there are a good many females who hit the road regularly and often meet up in groups. There is even a Facebook group, Airstream Singles, for those oriented at more social outings vs isolated travel.

Read, imagine, and enjoy the wait for the arrival of your unit.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Welcome aboard. We were all newbies once. This year is a veritable rumspringa on the forum, so you are in good company. Tell us what type of camping you want to do... long term, parks, boondocking? (Practice planning a trip online,) Your destinations have a lot to do with how you will equip your combo, which seems to be the favorite beginners’ topic.
Your combo is very sensible. Have you ever practiced backing a UHaul Utility trailer (not enclosed) or similar? That skill will put you way ahead, and only costs about $20 a day (plus a quiet corner of a parking lot).
Happy Camping!
GetawA-S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Sheri, welcome to the Airstream Community and Forums!

As the other posters have said, you’re in the right place for ideas. You mentioned seeing videos of other women with Basecamps; you probably saw this one but if not...

Her name is Cass and she blogs about it. I just stumbled across a new video interview with her that you might find helpful.

There’s another couple you might like too - Chris and Aaron have a channel called “Irene Iron Fitness”. They also interviewed Cass a while ago.

Your Escalade won’t even know that Basecamp is there! Since you haven’t bought one yet, did you see the new 20’ Basecamp? It looks awesome... I think Airstream addressed some of the shortcomings of the 16’ but if you’re by yourself, the 16’ would be fine. But that extra 4’ would come in handy!

Good luck with your search!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Williamsburg , Virginia
Thumbs up thank you all!

Lots to read and look through and it was quite a busy day with Life 101 around here, despite finding time to YES PUT THE DEPOSIT DOWN on the Basecamp 16X! It is due "anytime between Sept 1 and Dec 31" and as excited (and a bit scared) as I am, I almost hope it doesn't arrive Sept 1! Too soon!? I am at SQUARE ONE here, ya'll, no clue what to even do first.

Example. If I pick up the thing, I assume the dealer will help me hook it up and show me how to use everything. Does it come with a "weight distribution hitch?" I have no idea! Do I need to bring one with me? Tomorrow a place here is installing some brake light thingy which I hope is universal and necessary (I was told it was). There are so many unknowns and I've had some ruckus with a job here that has seriously interfered with my ability and time to research any of the RV/Basecamp stuff at all. I just grabbed a reservation and gave them the deposit over the phone.

Bam! So here I am. Thank you all again for all the kind welcomes and comments and LINKS! I will definitely be checking out everything you have offered or pointed to!

Sheri
Old 08-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Williamsburg , Virginia
I saw Cass! She is part of why I decided on the Basecamp! Awesome rig and a dog and a cat!
Old 08-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Brake light thingy? Meaning, brake controller? Very important. Have the installer demonstrate and explain. This will keep your trailer from saying “hello” from a side window, or pushing you into a minivan full of nuns.
WDH? Some will say it’s not so important with your combination, but when you find out otherwise, it’s already too late. Sway control (typically part of the hitch) is also important, to keep the tail from wagging the dog when you forget to watch your speed. It will be essential for your next, bigger trailer.
The wife says to practice backing in the dark, have a ready meal in the freezer, and stay within a reasonable distance on driving days.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Should clarify my last post. There are different parts to a hitch.
The recover and 7 pin wiring receptacle (for the trailer lights and brakes)
The hitch ball sized to match the trailer
Weight distribution to keep the tow vehicle level (sufficient weight on the front wheels for steering)
Sway control - uses friction or hydraulic resistance to keep the trailer in line with the tow vehicle at speed) For a discussion of this for a Basecamp, see lintcj’s thread “Basecamp 20X and sway control”
Old 08-12-2020, 06:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Island , New York
Hi Sheri and “Welcome”.

If your bought your Basecamp at Colonial Airstream in N.J., relax. You are in very good hands. Their service dept will equip your Escalade and Basecamp with everything you need to travel and camp safely. They will also walk you through how your new trailer works.

Wherever you bought it, plan to spend a night or two in the dealer’s parking lot to throughly inspect all the systems (water, electrical, propane). Also inspect the exterior and interior fit and finish of the camper. Have a flashlight so you can check all those dark places inside. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Just keep focused on your inspections - don’t get distracted.

It’s going to be great!

2020 23’ FB Twin Globetrotter Natural Elm/London Grey
2018 Jeep Overland 5.7L Hemi

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Williamsburg , Virginia
Hi all,

Thought I would update here because this was the intro thread and I was getting a Basecamp (2021). Things changed. The BC guy said oops it won't be in til Feb 2022 (had said, and I had counted on, "between Sept 1 and end of year" which was long enough of a wait; I have to give notice etc. and long story).

Anyway, while he was telling me this on the phone (I happened to call and he saw it in the computer and told me, it was the first HE had seen of the delay too), he said "Well I do have a cancellation on a 2021 Bambi 16RB, which is LEAVING THE FACTORY on Sept 18." I said YES to that. A bit more money (not that much actually, because I was adding stuff to the BC anyway and the Bambi has some of it already), but oh well.

So, point here is, no Basecamp 16X, instead getting 2021 Bambi 16RB (could be anywhere from Sept 23 through mid October, but sales guy is PROMISING it really IS coming, has a VIN and all, which my previous "order"/deposit did NOT, I noticed, in hindsight) and he is 99% sure it will be in BY Oct 1. Which suits me MUCH better than "possibly end of year" as was the case with the BC.

OK, that's all the news. Now I have to go lurk in the Bambi threads and try to learn WTH to do, being a n00B and all. Pretty scary. Exciting but scary.