Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #1

1962 24' Tradewind
Enfield , Middx
Smile Hello from Suffolk, England - 1962 Tradewind

Hi everyone, just a quick introduction, we are the proud owners of a 1962 Tradewind, just over from New Jersey (so we were told).

If anyone has owned, or knows anything about #6481 please get in touch. We have no paperwork/manuals and we know nothing about her history (or how half the stuff works!) and would love some information or photos about her past adventures.

I've uploaded a quick one of her on arrival in Suffolk. Will load more after the Easter weekend.

Would love to hear from anyone - lots to learn !
beachhutlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Greetings, beachhutlife, and welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll find loads of information here about Airstreams and Airstreaming.

The number you gave, 6481, doesn't sound much like an Airstream production number. Is it from some red numbers on the front and back of the rig? If so, those are numbers from the Wally Byam Caravan Club (WBCCI), the Airstream club. As such, those numbers can potentially be more revealing than a production number. Some folks here have club books dating back pretty far, and they're able to look up who was associated with which number during earlier periods. (The numbers can be and are recycled through new members upon request.)

Again, welcome to the forums!

Lynn
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Hello England

Obviously, learning about towing safety, tires, brakes, and such are most important. But I would suggest finding out what is original and what
has been changed on your NEW 62. The original chargers have to be monitored
so that they don't cook your battery. The new chargers drop down to trickle charge automatically. Newer fridges, and water heaters also have some changes in operation.
My question is...Is there an " Old " Jersey ????? ( joking )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
allo allo allo Beachhutlife, what's all this then. Welcome to the forums.
As mentioned earlier the number you posted is the membership number to the WBCCI. The club historian has a thread going where you can post your number and once he has some free time he will look up the history of that number for you. It will take some time for the response ana he is quite busy and the research is a lengthy endevour.
Post your request here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...r-19191-9.html

Unfortunatley Airstream does not sell owner or service manuals for your year or model.
I suggest you post a question in the forums section for your year and model and other owners with similar trailers will answer it.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

1962 24' Tradewind
Enfield , Middx
Thank you for those replies, I'm going to try and upload a photo now. Yes I think the 6481 is a WBCC number although the sticker is peeling now. I've asked Joe to check any history - great tip, thanks.

Steep learning curve going on over here :0) we know we've got a water heater but don't know how to make it work - another weekend of tinkering I think - but at least the sun's shining and it's a holiday weekend !

I'm sure I'll be asking for more advice soon, like where to get parts .... don't get anything from googling uk sites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090719.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	127807  
Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhutlife View Post
I'm sure I'll be asking for more advice soon, like where to get parts .... don't get anything from googling uk sites.
Here are a few links for you to get parts.
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

https://sites.google.com/a/colinhyde...ions.com/home/
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #7

1962 24' Tradewind
Enfield , Middx
Thanks for those links, I can see many hours surfing ahead of me !

Do you have any suggestions for dealing with this bathroom sink repair/replace ? I'll attach a couple of photos. Sink is not usable at present as water leaks through sink cracks (we think) and floor is rotting underneath - we saw through back hatch when tinkering with electrics.

Have seen the YouTube guy doing a resto on a 70's Airstream with that Tubby stuff but don't know if the look/durability is worth the effort ?

Any advice welcome.

Sara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sink damage.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	127835   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower damage.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	127836  

Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Pretty good sized cracks there!

You know, my MGB had lots of cracked plastic here and there. One solution I came up with was to remove the piece and then do a fiberglass repair from the back side, not the front. Do up a jig to hold the piece together (crack closed) temporarily while the fiberglass cures. It's stronger than the original and has held up pretty well.

Lynn
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
prescott , Arizona
Welcome I'm also new here but here's a web page you might find info on We actually bought a 1978 Excella 500 with the same WBCCI #6481 and I did some research all day reading and found this out both must of had the same owner in the past theres a Manual for a trade wind there I found the one for ours there also good luck!

http://www.dwmorrison.com/airstream.htm

Tags
1962, england, tradewind