Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Ridgecrest , California
Hello from So. Cal.

Hello, I'm Justin. I'm 27y/o, newly married. I don't have an Airstream just yet, but I have one lined up to purchase. It's a 1967 17ft Caravel. My father is the third owner and I will be the fourth owner. It will need some work as it's been sitting for a couple years. It also has evidence of a blow out with the first owner, and has one small patch in the metal toward the bottom front of the body. Right now the list looks like this:

- needs tires
- needs shocks
- needs rock guard for the front window
- needs new left rear window
- it has a non-working heater
- it has a non working oven, but working range
- needs interior renovation
- needs polish and clear coat

The Airstream was named Murphy by the 1st owners. The story I was told, is the first owners would annually detail the Airstream inside and out and they would go through and clean all the interior wood surfaces with Murphy's oil. They have logged all the trips they have made since it was bought in 1967. I guess they also have a book of recipes they've aquired through their travels, I'll know more when I get the trailer. The second owner was a business owner who took the Airstream as payment for services rendered to the first owner. He let it sit for 5+years before my father bought it in the mid 90's. My father has logged all his trips in it as well. My father has come to the point in his life where he just doesn't have time to devote to the Airstream. He mentioned selling it, so I told him I wanted it. I have the time and drive to renovate it and can't wait to start. I'm going to keep it as original as possible.

I will be using a 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab to pull the trailer. It's black in color, and I think it'll just look great for a black truck to be pulling a polished Airstream. Here is a pic of the truck. I'll get pics of the Airstream next weekend.

Basically, I'm here to learn about the Airstream and have fun restoring this beauty. I've been told I'm kind of young to be an airstreamer, but I've always loved Airstreams and I'm excited to get one. There are few things in the world that are timeless, Airstreams are one of them!
Justang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hi, let me be the first to welcome you to the forums. No way are you too young to Airstream, in fact it's great that you're starting now! I wish I had invested in an Airstream years ago. If I had then I'd be on the road right now instead of rehabbing one to use in a few years. We want to have some adventures with our daughter before she gets tired of being seen with us.

That trailer sounds like a beauty! You can get new windows for your year at Vintage Trailer Supply and at Inland RV. I can't wait to see pictures. Congratulations on your wedding as well.

From another '67 owner!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Justin! It's so great that you know the entire history of your trailer - most of us vintage owners aren't so lucky. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your Caravel - I'll agree that '67s are fantastic!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Ridgecrest , California
Thanks for the heads up on the InlandRV, I just found their site. I was worried about finding a place that sell's the glass, that makes it easy!

I should have pics next Saturday.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Welcome to the forums Justin. Can't wait to see some pictures of your Caravel. You'll have to join us fellow Californians on a forum rally sometime.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Justin, Congrats on the wedding and the A/S! Also on joining the forums. I have found this site to be a huge education.
It looks like you have quite a list of your plans for updating the trailer. A couple of things to consider and/or research:
You may need new axles. (Or maybe not) There are lots of threads here on the subject.
On the plus side, Polishing is a good idea, but you don't have to re-clearcoat afterward if you don't want to. Many of us don't. That would save you some $$ if that's an issue.
Nice to have another new member,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Ridgecrest , California
I wondered about axles. How do you know if they are bad?

I planned on the clearcoat due to the upkeep of the bare polished aluminum.

Right now this is going to be a complete renovation. It should be a lot of fun! And $$$.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justang
I wondered about axles. How do you know if they are bad?

I planned on the clearcoat due to the upkeep of the bare polished aluminum.

Right now this is going to be a complete renovation. It should be a lot of fun! And $$$.
Justin, First the disclaimer - I'm not an axle expert.
Basically you need to look at the angle of the axle arm, from the centerline of the axle to the spindle at the wheel. It this arm is angled up (wheel higher into wheel well) then they should be replaced. "Inland Andy" here on the forums has posted on this subject many times as have others. Do a search for axles if you want more info.

Clearcoat will protect the skin for a period of about 3 to 10 years before it starts peeling and deteriorating. For most people in the California climate, they'll never get 10 years. That's why I opted for a polish, then wax. I wax 3 0r 4 times a year, and plan on a quick touch-up on the polish annually. If I had indoor storage it would have made more sense to clearcoat it - I don't.
This is just my experience, others may vary. I previously had a '98 Safari whose clear was peeling after 4 years.
Good luck with the trailer, keep us updated on progress with photos.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Ridgecrest , California
So I went and looked at the Airstream for the first time in years. I thought I had been in it recently, but I was wrong. It was many many years ago and it's nothing like I remembered. And, since my dad hasn't had time to even look at it in about 3 years, it's worse than he remembered. So he reduced his asking price significantly. I'm paying practically nothing for it.

But now I have about a million questions. And pictures to go with...

First, here it is.

Notice it's missing it's rear window?
And look at the "awnings" over the windows? My dad didn't do those, he assumed it was original, but the screws are rusting. I haven't see them on any other airstreams. Do you thing the original owners put those on?
Also notice it has a patch... this was done by the original owner. All we can think is it was a puncture wound and they patched it up like that. Here's a closer look:

Also notice the rock guard is gone, but we still have the frame. So we may fab up a metal piece with "Airstream" etched into it.
Back to the patch... is there any way to fix this? Or is this gonna be a blemish it has. I'm not totally against it being there, it's shows character.
On the opposite side there is a dent in the lower front corner, it's fairly big. I've also noticed 2 other dings high up on the RV. Thoughts?

Here's another issue. There is no heater in it. I'd like to put one in. But it looks like the original owner took the heater out and pluged the heater vent with a piece of crappy metal:

Where can I get a heater vent for it? Something to get rid of the hideous patch job. eek.

Also in that pic, notice the object to the left. My dad said it's for the water heater. Is this a normal thing for the airstream? Here's a closer pic:

Here's is the rear of the Airstream:

Notice the reflectors... are those original, or did the first owners put those on. My dad said they were on there when he got it. Are the blinkers supposed to be there too? I saw pics of other caravels and they weren't there. Also notice the rust on the bumper. My dad has a sandblaster, we may blast all the bumper and hitch and repaint it.

Here's a pic of the inside:

This is where I get irritated with the first owners. They cut the wood to put in an AM/FM radio and speakers. grrrr. They also have an antenna going out the the front right of the RV. I don't know if there was supposed to be something there, or if they drilled a hole through it. If you look at the first picture, you can see the antenna on the front. And there are too many other things to mention about the interior. Carpet, wood, fridge, ect. wow.

Here's a view of the back.

yeah, needs help. You can't see it but the wood on the wall got wet and has warped a bit. And you can see the second speaker under the cabinets. And yeah, that's a CB hanging there by it's wires. If you look the first picture you can see the antenna for it. So this RV has two antennas... I'd like to get rid of one or both.

I've been looking around at all sorts of Airstream websites and, call me a biter, I've found this one 67 Caravel that I want to copy. I absolutely love what this guy has done. If my Caravel looked like that, I'd be uber happy!

1967Caravel2

I don't know exactly what this guy did with the wood, but I love it. My fatherinlaw thought I could just take all that wood out and duplicate it with oak and finish it the way I would like. And that sounds pretty good to me. Is this what people normally do? I love the color of his interior as well!

First step is to completely clean the RV, it's dirty. Then new shocks, tires, windows, and they start on the fabric. After that it's useable for this season. Then we'll just fix the interior, the work on the exterior.

Is it a big deal to change from aluminum wiring to copper wiring? Does the 67 Caravel have aluminum wiring?

It also needs a new counter top, the one on it is kind of warping. And the refrigerator exhaust scoop is cracked, so it needs to be replaced. It also needs a refrigerator vent cover.

Cliffnotes: It needs a lot of work.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
First off, welcome to the Forums. I think that you have a really great Airstream to start with. Having a log of Murphy's past travels is a big emotional plus, and gives Murphy his very own personality.

Looking at your photos of Murphy, He appears to be in sound condition. I particularly like the patch on his left front quarter. When he gets polished up, that patch will become a beauty mark. The missing parts are available.

Murphy's interior also looks pretty sound. You might be suprised how good it looks after a good cleaning.

The main thing is to get Murphy ready to go camping because that's what he really loves to do, and you will too.

I can't wait to see a photo of Murphy hooked up to that black pick-up ready to go camping.

Best of luck, and tell Murphy Hi from me.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Nice looking trailer! There are several to look at here; Vintage Airstream Photo Archives
The pictures of other 67 show only the two round lights on the back end.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Ridgecrest , California
It's been a while. We bought a house and haven't even touched the Airstream. Infact we just got Murphy to the house. Here are some pics of it hooked up to my Tundra. Can't wait to get it polished! And now that we have a house I can start to work on it in my spare time. I hope to have it up and running by next summer.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justang
It's been a while. We bought a house and haven't even touched the Airstream. Infact we just got Murphy to the house. Here are some pics of it hooked up to my Tundra. Can't wait to get it polished! And now that we have a house I can start to work on it in my spare time. I hope to have it up and running by next summer.

Nice trailer.

But, you should be using a load equalizing hitch for maximum towing safety.

The entrance door is sagging because of the hinge wear.

It also appears that the axle is shot, since you cannot see any tire above the wheel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
A belated welcome to the forums and congrats on your treasure...you'll have a blast getting it up to snuff and on the road, and when it's done you will be one happy and proud pappa... Love your enthusiasm, too. You are absolutely in the right place (here) to find all the info and moral support you'll need to get the job done...

You will definietly "travel well"...
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Ridgecrest , California
Yeah, I need a load distributing hitch. I don't have the original bars either. Where would I pick that up?

I don't understand the door sagging, but I don't have the trained eye. Please explain. Over the door it has an added "rain gutter/awning."

How do you tell definitively that the axle is not good. The picture above of the 1967 Caravel doesn't show the top of the tire either.
Nor does this one: http://www.midcoast.com/~celliott/IM...streetside.jpg

I've thought about replacing it but was hoping I could get through next season without doing it. Obviously I want safety over everything, so if it's bad I'll replace it.