Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
My sister's rented the house again this summer for August, and I'm hoping to get back.. For Globie, I was realy close to putting down deposit on Canadian Maritimes caravan (non-Airstream group..) in late July, and would have stopped in South County on way home.. New England unit does great rallies in RI, including park near Block Island Ferry... Looks like it will be Southwest Airlines into PVD instead...

And for us the rest of Rhode Island was always 45 minutes away, not 30... That about covers corner to corner..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
We're in RI in late July and first half of August. Is the rally in the park in Point Judith, near the BI Ferry there? I wonder if you could take an AS on the BI ferry, there are places there that would be good for boondocking.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
It looks like Pt. Judith Block Island Ferry can handle oversize vehicles with advance reservations for $5.60 per foot of length each way.. Pricey!! Fishermen's Memorial Park is near Pt. Judith Ferry Terminal, and is beautiful... Not sure how Block Islanders would welcome boondockers... (Though out on west end near New Harbor there is so much excitement provided by visiting boaters they may never notice....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hi, I thought perhaps at the end farthest from the ferry stop it might be possible to boondock without too much notice. Wow, so it would be about 112.00 to ship the AS each way to the island...
Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Yep.. Over $100 each way, and no RV park on the island... There are little turnouts on road around west end and new harbor/West Beach area where all the visiting boats anchor out and drink heavily, but local police might not be entirely welcoming... I think they strongly prefer you walk onto ferry and spend the night in one of the restored Inn's in town.. Probably cheaper even in summer...

>> And that fee is for total length including tow vehicle, not just trailer....

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
actually, I think it is cheaper to stay at one of the inns on the island- we had a nice lunch at the Spring House, on their huge covered porch facing the ocean. I think if you're going out there, one of the big old hotels gives more of the classic New England summer beach atmosphere, as much as I love my trailer.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
Fisherman's Memorial State Campground on Pt. Judith road is a great campground. It's close to Galilee & the boat to Block Island. Also Ft. Geddy in Jamestown is also a great campground & on the bay. Have fun!!
BorninRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Fellow Rhode Islander turned Floridian here....born and raised in Watch Hill...Left at 18 to join the Air Force and never really went back except to visit family. BTW, we built a Block Island Schooner (also known as a Cowhorn Schooner) in the USVI and lived aboard for many years as well. Boats to Land Yachts are a real easy transition. Welcome aboard and enjoy your 'stream!!!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Hi Ornstream- you ARE close. I go to Sosnowski's farm stand in West Kingston, do you know it? I'd love to take the Airstream across country to RI, and will someday. The time is the big thing, we can spare a couple of weeks to drive across with the trailer, but someday. We could have a smallest-state mini-rally with the other Rhode Islanders.

Good luck with the rig, keep us posted on progress!
I do know Sosnowski's well but don't go there often I'm afraid As to Block Island I do know that the original owner of our AS had it out there...I don't know anything about the specifics of it though.

We have discovered that our floor needs to be replaced and are trying not to get discouraged. It has been deemed safe to take to Maine before any floor repairs so we will have our first trip in her in two weeks. Since we are newbies to trailer camping as well as Airstreams this should be exciting!
Ornstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
My sister's rented the house again this summer for August, and I'm hoping to get back.. For Globie, I was realy close to putting down deposit on Canadian Maritimes caravan (non-Airstream group..) in late July, and would have stopped in South County on way home.. New England unit does great rallies in RI, including park near Block Island Ferry... Looks like it will be Southwest Airlines into PVD instead...

And for us the rest of Rhode Island was always 45 minutes away, not 30... That about covers corner to corner..
August is the perfect time for RI beaches Enjoy!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninRI View Post
Fisherman's Memorial State Campground on Pt. Judith road is a great campground. It's close to Galilee & the boat to Block Island. Also Ft. Geddy in Jamestown is also a great campground & on the bay. Have fun!!
I hadn't thought about Fort Getty campground ...even as RI residents that would be a fun place to spend some time!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
Fellow Rhode Islander turned Floridian here....born and raised in Watch Hill...Left at 18 to join the Air Force and never really went back except to visit family. BTW, we built a Block Island Schooner (also known as a Cowhorn Schooner) in the USVI and lived aboard for many years as well. Boats to Land Yachts are a real easy transition. Welcome aboard and enjoy your 'stream!!!
We have a small - 19ft catboat that we keep in Watch Hill. It always amazes me what a small world it is We do find a lot of similarities between the airstream and a boat...they are both money and time pits for one! I think my husband would have preferred your adventure of living on a schooner in the USVI to tell you the truth!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornstream

We have a small - 19ft catboat that we keep in Watch Hill. It always amazes me what a small world it is We do find a lot of similarities between the airstream and a boat...they are both money and time pits for one! I think my husband would have preferred your adventure of living on a schooner in the USVI to tell you the truth!
Well, as they say in the boating world, "it ain't all Champagne and Caviar" but it was a great place to raise our son for 9 yrs until we came back stateside. When we first got our AS we slept in it in the yard for the first 8 mo- it felt so much like a boat we were right at home. Hope you have a great time on your first outing!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Wow.. After a week near Watch Hill I'd forgotten what heat and humidity felt like, with intermittent thunderstorms and fog.. Real different from northern California/SF Bay Area.. Had opportunity to rent plane and fly out to Block Island from Westerly,which was a blast, and New Harbor completely full of boats... Airstreams, boats AND airplanes tend to go together...

Saw a couple Airstreams on Rte 1 on trip to Newport for dinner, but felt silly flashing lights from a rented Corolla... Rare tornado watch last night as really colorful storm ( on radar...) rumbled through.. Temperature dropped about 3 degrees.. Sigh.. Would have been great for checking water leaks.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hey! Writing this from TF Green airport, going back to CA and home. Love the boat thing here, looking for a dory to row around on the pond with. Have you seen the rebuilt Watch Hill Inn, great for breakfast, same guy is doing up the Weekapaug Inn. Hoping to bring the Globetrotter back for a visit
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
I flew out of TF Green on 15th, by way of Chicago and San Diego to get home.. We were in Weekapaug (started in 1954..) and man who rebuilt Ocean House in Watch Hill teamed with Boston Fund Manager Lang Wheeler to rebuild Weekapaug Inn this year after former owner suffered bankruptcy after shutting it down after trying to redevelop as Condo's. Same hotel management company will run both, and (oddly..) Grand Pre-Opening is Sept 1st, and opening for guests is Oct 1st. Apparently with heat and A/C they believe they can extend season, including business meetings, beyond usual June to Labor Day.. Not sure where they'll get college kids to run it during winter..

Sure felt good getting home to blue skies and low humidity, and cool nights!!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
We had a couple of meals at the Ocean House, and they're doing a good job and had a good attendance. I think they were staffed by college kids in the past, but it didn't seem that way at the OH. It is nice to be home to the cool and dry weather. My inlaws are there now, sending daily pics of the beach... sigh.