Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #1

1977 31' Sovereign
Dover-Foxcroft , Maine
Hello from ME

So... I have inherited a 1977 31 ft Sovereign and a 1968 pickup camper (Shamrock). I'm used to hauling boats and even antique cars, but nothing that big. I'm leaning toward the camper as what I'd keep due to storage space logistics, I've driven it before, and the fact that if I had an Airstream I certainly wouldn't need 31 feet worth of Airstream just for myself! Would love to hear feedback on pros and cons of trailers vs campers, trade-ins vs selling & buying privately (with the additional detail that the closest dealer is a few hours away).

The biggest question: The tires are about 20 years old. Garage-kept the whole time, no sun exposure, last hauled in 2010 (from ME to Montana and back). No cracks or signs of dry rot, no air loss, still lots of tread left too. Local tire guy said they're fine for transport within Northern New England but should be replaced before any significant long distance, high speed travel. I trust him because he could have easily just tried to sell me a new set, but what do you think?
Amblerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblerj View Post
. . .
. . . The tires are about 20 years old.
. . .
End of discussion IMO.

New tires ASAP!

Welcome to the forum.

Consider finding a new tire adviser too IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: I'm one who likes the longer Airstreams as they are more comfortable for long distance travel in my view. Bigger fridge, bigger wardrobe, bigger bath, more storage, etc. The downside is heaver weight, harder to get into tight spots, more windows to clean, etc.

It all depends on your intended use. If you want just a weekend getaway, the camper will work fine. Better than a tent. If you plan on extended stay living and even working from the trailer, the longer trailer will work better.

A 77 Sovereign will likely need a lot of work and expense to re-commission it. The tires need replaced. Likely the axles will too. Likely there are rotted out holes in the 1/2" plywood floor. Likely the appliances will be problem matic. If you have the time and bucks to get it renovated into a comfortable, reliable Airstream, well then okay.

I spent a winter (October to June) on a 76 Sovereign 31'. I feel I know the trailer pretty well.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:07 AM   #4

1977 31' Sovereign
Dover-Foxcroft , Maine
Actually it was completely overhauled 20 years ago, and serviced annually after that, and garaged except for travel and service visits. Previous owner had kept it garaged too. No signs of rot or corrosion. My only real concern is the tires.

As for my own RVing interest, I tend to prefer hiking and back country locations, so a more compact and maneuverable rig is appealing. Camper or maybe a small trailer.

Camper, BTW, was also overhauled and updated, in the 90s, and has also been garaged. Both are super clean, and no rodent activity!
Amblerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Knowing that you like "back country hiking", maybe the Sovereign isn't the right rig for you. Sounds like it is in good shape and will make someone a nifty travel trailer.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote