Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
derliebejoerg

1963 19' Globetrotter
berlin , germany
Hello from Germany

Hi there all. First time here for me to post. I own a 1963 Globerotter and when I got it from the US roughly 5 years ago it was more or less a big bunch of Alu sheets. First 4 years the Globetrotter stood in a barn - I had no time to work on it. But within the last 10 months things changed.

First I welded a complete new chassis, hot-galvanized it and mounted a new complete pulling equipment according to german standards. Then I placed a complete new floor ground out of waterproof scandinavian phenolic resin coated plywood - just like it is normaly used for truck floors or trailer floors. On the floor I fixed the whole frame of the Alu top,
removed nearly all outer alusheets and replaced them by new ones. Then built in three new alu-windos, two new roof-windows and moved the entrance from side to back using the original door frame. So, the status now is: "Outside OK".

I don't know when I will have time again to work on the next steps. New job now - we'll see.

All this work produced a couple of old airstream parts I now don't need any more. Maybe someone is interested in. The parts are really old and not i a good shape, but I guess some of them are original. You can find the parts on ebay.de - my ebay-name is "derliebejoerg". Maybe they can be found on the ebay-US-site as well. So have look. If nobody is interested I will through them away.

Next time I appear in this forum I will post some fotos of the working process up to now.

Nice greetings from germany.

Derliebejoerg

joerg.harzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Welcome!

Hello and welcome to airforums.com!

You've undertaken quiete a project and we'd love to see your pictures. Good luck with the Globetrotter. It's certailnly appropriate that a "Globetrotter" ended up finding a good home in Germany.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Welcome. I would really like to see photos of your work, it sounds substantial...
Old 06-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Welcome and salutations for your brave project

May I ask what your job experience is that has afforded you the awesome skill sets to take on such an extensive project. I am very impressed and yes, please do send photographs.
When I went to visit my trailer at the restoration company, a similiar project to yours, was going on in the spot next to mine. New frame ( built by a British race car builder ), new high tech floor ( plastic wafer, I picked up the whole floor with two fingers ), new high tech hitch, and the ceiling height was raised to accomodate a 6'4" owner. The cost was estimated to be about $ 250,000 American dollars ( 220,000 Euros dollars ? ). You may want to fit that information into a conversation if you ever want to brag about your finished project. Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Yes, welcome to the forums. Pictures would be delightfull.

Why don't you post the items your have for sale on the forums classified?
Many of us look there first.

Thanks
Marie
Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
When I went to visit my trailer at the restoration company, a project was going on in the spot next to mine. New frame ( built by a British race car builder ), new high tech floor ( plastic wafer, I picked up the whole floor with two fingers ), new high tech hitch, and the ceiling height was raised to accomodate a 6'4" owner. The cost was estimated to be about $ 250,000 American dollars ( 220,000 Euros dollars ? ). You may want to fit that information into a conversation if you ever want to brag about your finished project. Dave
Dave is there anywhere that we might read more about this quarter mililon dollar boon-doggle? Sounds like something our new government might order for tall displaced constituents thru FEMA.
Wonder what ol' Wally would think about a $250,000 upgrade of one of his "tin cans"?

Who did your restore? Colin by any chance?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

« Newby! | Top | newby too »