Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #21
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
What a beauty! Love her shiny coat! Thanks so much for your sweet welcome to the forums. I can't wait to see what you do when you restore her inside!

Mary
AngelStreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #22
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Thank you David, I did try to take all the information you had given me and find a sweet trailer. Really loving her so far! I'm still thinking about names for her so suggestions are definitely welcome!

She has a wraparound dinette upfront that makes into a queen size bed. All appliances counter space etc. in the kitchen are in great shape. She has the sofa/pull out double bed on one side and the chest of drawers with two wardrobes on the other side, and the rear shower bathroom. Just the right size and floor plan for me. I will try to send some photos if I can figure out how to attach them here.

Now to the tow vehicle. There is so much differing advice out there it's almost mind boggling. Thanks for the links and great information you've given me here. So far I have looked at Toyota tundra's, GMC Sierra, Dodge ram, Toyota Sequoia, Ford F150, 4-wheel-drive all-wheel-drive 2 wheel drive. Arrgh! I know the right ones out there.

Any advice on what type of good hitch locks I should be looking at?

Mary
Old 10-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi again. Would love to see some photos of your 63. A U shaped dinette is unusual I think. Last winter we built a U dinette in the son's 69 Globetrotter. He wanted more seating for entertaining, and a big bed for sleeping in on lazy mornings.

To attach a photo, try this:
1. Click on the paperclip in the "reply to thread" screen. It's called "Manage attachments".
2. Click on the "choose file" button. Now you gotta browse your picture library to find the photo file you want to upload. My file types are .jpg. Click on the photo file selected, and then click on "open".
3 You can attach another picture file in the manage attachments screen if you want one. Try just one until you get comfortable with how AirForums works.
4. Now click on "upload" button. Note the upload progress in the lower left of the "manage attachments" screen. It may take several minutes depending on the speed of your internet service. When upload is done, you're not done! You gotta wait until AirForums receives the data and posts it in your post. When there are no more notes in the lower left status, then you can "close this window".
5. You will not see your uploaded photo in the "reply to thread" screen. Don't cuss. You can hit "preview post" or "submit reply" buttons to see the photo. I post my photos at the bottom of the reply. That's where I place the cursor when I upload a photo. I don't try to place photos in the text.
6. Some Forum users struggle with the Apple device apps and the like. I use an old fashioned point and shoot camera and a digital file on my laptop. I have not uploaded a photo from a phone. I send the phone photo to my laptop and save it with my other photos. Sometimes these phone photos don't upload right for me.

After you submit reply, you have about 10 minutes to edit your post if you want. You can go "advanced" and delete a photo and upload a better one if you like.

Hope this helps a bit...

David

PS Here is the U shaped dinette we made last winter. The table is on a collapsing pedestal. The table has fold out "leaves" for lunch, and then they fold in for a coffee table. It seems to work okay. But it ain't a luxury Airstream cabinet for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1604 Dinette Done Bed.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	273814   Click image for larger version

Name:	1604 Dinette Done 2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	273815  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #24
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
Hi David,

Love the u-shaped dinette you built. I sent you a PM with information on how to see my photos. Let me know if you have a problem accessing them.

Mary
Old 10-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
You know, I've never used the registry for photos or anything else. I know other users do as there is a AirForums limit on how many photos you can upload in Forums, but the registry is available for photos.

Your old Trade Wind looks nice. I see the U shaped dinette looks like it was added sometime later. New Flying Cloud trailers have a U shaped dinette option in their 26U model. My dinette doesn't have curved cushions in the corners as I don't know how to make curved cushions.

David
Old 10-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #26
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelStreamn View Post
Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard other newbie! 😊
Wish you well on your search hope you find what you're looking for real soon.
Thanks for the Welcome. I just missed a 2001 30' with slider. I looked at it continued driving to Norman, OK to see my daughter. I called back a couple of days after looking it over and he said he had just sold it.
Paul Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #27
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
I want to officially introduce my sweet new to me Tradewind. Her name is Silver Pearl but I'm calling her "Pearl" for short. I chose the name because she is my Silver Pearl. My tow vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tundra 4-WD.

We are now all set to cruise around hopefully getting to meet many of you in person. 💖

Mary
Old 10-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My Minnesota neighbor has a yellow lab named Pearl. He has the only lab, and you have the only Trade Wind named Pearl. I hope you and Pearl have many adventures together. One thing you will really enjoy is a rainy night all snug and cozy while Silver Pearl keeps you warm and dry. Rainy nights in an Airstream is fun, at least until you wake up and find water all over the floor from a leak. This too is an adventure. Maybe travel trailers are a little like "tiny houses" which are a little like the "forts" and play houses we had when we were kids.

Airstreams are a whole lot better than sleeping in a small tent on a wet sleeping bag!

The Tundra will pull Pearl quite nicely. Maybe Pearl came with a hitch. If not, you'll have to get one of those too. Sometimes you can find them used at a lower price.

Thanks for the tip on the registry. If you want to see Silver Pearl, look here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f526...nd-158525.html

She looks to be in great shape.

David
Old 10-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #29
Airstreamin' Angel

1963 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
I love knowing there is a yellow lab named Pearl. My traveling companion is a black lab named Moose. When I adopted him he had that name so we kept it. At the time he weighed 104 lbs and my daughter said he looked like a keg on stilts. The vet put him on a diet immediately and he's now 76 lbs.

I woke up to a small rainshower yesterday morning in Pearl and it sounded so sweet! And I love your analogy regarding the small forts that we used to build as kids. I have found myself turning around in my airstream several times now saying "hello wall".

David you reminded me of a camping trip I took with my children to Colorado when they were young. It was mid August and we were so enjoying the nice weather. We pitched our tent at the bottom of a mountain near Aspen. We woke up about 1 AM to a stream of water rushing over our sleeping bags. And spent an adventurous rest of the night camped out in our little Toyota Celica. Fun time!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Wow, you sure have traveled a lot of ground since your "looking for an Airstream" post #1. Now you are a vintage Airstream owner with a proper tow vehicle. Your Trade Wind is already "renewed" and in great shape judging from the pictures. It is a good way to get one in my view. It's a 63 and it's 53 years old, but all ready to go many more years. My 66 isn't as nice, but still ready to go with most systems renewed.

Staying in Texas is a good place for the winter months. Many full timers head south in the winter as staying in a RV up north is not much fun at all. My wife's folks used to winter on Sam Rayburn Lake at the Airstream park there called Texas Airstream Harbor. As I recall, it was pretty low cost living. They enjoyed their time there, and used it as a basecamp for traveling the south in the Airstream.

http://www.texasairstreamharbor.com/

But there are many other places folks park for the winter.

David