Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dover , Arkansas
Hello from Arkansas

Until earlier today, I had no intention at all of joining a forum on Airstream RVs. Hoping to retire early sometime between a year and three years from now, we had an entirely different idea in what we wanted.

We were at the Annual Arkansas RV Show in Little Rock and, guess what, they had two Airstream trailers. And, natuarally, we kind of "fell in love" with one of them, a 28' Airstream International.

So now we are re-evaluating what we want in a trailer and whether or not we want to pay so much.

We are not planning to buy in the near future, but whatever we buy — whether it's an Airstream travel trailer or something else — we plan to be very knowledgeable about it and any others that we consider along the way.

Currently we do not have a RV of any type. We had a small travel trailer — no heater and no bathroom or shower — years ago after having rented the same model. We've car camped, starting in 1973, as well as backpacked. Most of our recent vacations have been staying in some kind of stationary lodging, most recently a cabin near Cripple Creek, Colorado. We've already been to all of the states except Hawaii as well as several Canadian provinces. So whatever we have, we will be using and it will not be sitting growing moldy next to our home.

My goal in joining this forum is to learn as much as I can so that I (we ) ) will be able to make a good decision when it comes time to determine what we are actually going to buy and what we will be ruling out.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well even though you are just an Airstream admirer, you are welcome here. I had a small AS long, long ago and always wanted another. Now I am the proud owner of an almost fully restored 1978 Argosy. That's those really cute cream colored Airstreams. Day before yesterday I saw a 1958 Airstream for sale in a small Oklahoma town, Now I am the proud owner of two AS trailers. But would like you to take note of what I just bought. It's a "1958" Airstream that's still on the road and in pretty good shape. I don't imagine you will find many other brands doing the same. You cannot go wrong with a new or nearly new or really, really old Airstream. These coaches are awsome.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dover , Arkansas
Hi Juel,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I've heard a bit about the long-term value of the Airstream and Argosy. That's part of the reason that weare interested in them.

When we buy, we'll probably buy new and keep it for a very long time.

We always buy new vehicles, 6 over a period of 20 years, still own 2 of them, basically drove the others until they weren't worth much. For a recreational vehicle, we will probably do much the same — use it long past the point that someone else would have traded it in. So quality is going to be an important factor for us.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Welcome

Mike,
We joined this forum last Oct. after we had sold our pop up camper with dreams of an Airstream. In November our dream became real we bought a 75 that was listed here under the classifieds. We are just weekend campers.
I will tell you we decided on Airstream because of the quality. We went to several RV shows in our area and we just didn't like the way all the other brands looked.
Then we looked at the new Airstreams (would love to have one) but we still have a son we have to get through college. So I started looking at vintage and could not believe how they had held up thru the years. Not many of the other brands still on the road after 15 to 20 years at the most. My advice to you is since you have looked at the new Airstreams go to a RV show in your area and look at the other brands and I think that will help you make your mind up.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi mike and welcome aboard.....

was gene from searcy at the show?
great guy who makes great deals and keeps a pretty good inventory up in searcy....you should pay them a visit....i'll bet he has got just the trailer for you....or can get it ordered.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum. I do not think anyone here will try and talk you out of that purchase you are considering. Buying an Airstream is much more than just getting a camper. You will be joining a cadre of dedicated people who have found that owning an Airstream has made an important change in their lives. I look forward to reading about your purchase and your maiden camping trip and the ones after that.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dover , Arkansas
Thanks for the warm welcomes,

Becky, we were at an RV show with the intent of looking at all of the other brands and NO intention of looking at Airstreams. After we looked at the Airstreams, we looked at the one we had been thinking of and, at this point, have ruled out as well as one other that we had looked at in pretty good detail, both on the lot locally and at the RV show. On immediate, short-term reaction, the Airstream is our preference — and we can afford it, eventually. It'll just make a difference in when I retire or if I hit the road as a rent-a-expert (a.k.a. contractor), instead of fully retiring.

2air', by the time we got to the Airstreams, we were over half way through the show, had climbed in and out of almost everyone that came close to our size and layout requirements. I'm pretty sure that they must have come from Searcy since it's just up the road from Little Rock, but I just didn't get the guys name. I probably would not recognize him again if I saw him this evening. I'm terrible with names, but not bad with faces. However, that International CCD had our attention so fully that we might not have recognized one of our own kids if they walked up and stood beside it. I am glad to hear though that there is a dealer in the state with a good reputation.

Chaplain Kent, you said, "owning an Airstream has made an important change in their lives." That's deep, as is "buying an Airstream is much more than just getting a camper." I think that you are exactly right, though I do not know yet that we will actually do it. It's still at least a year away. But there is something about the airstream that is more "right" for us than any of the other campers.

Again, thanks, y'all