Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ogden , Utah
Hello from a new/old member... oh, and a Q.

First off, thanks to everyone who makes this such a great community! I've had many hobbies and interests over the years and have visited many, many forums and this one stands apart not just for it's wealth of information but for it's members' willingness to help out and and the camaraderie here. I actually was a member here a few years back but I don't remember that early account info. Anyway, I fell out of the loop for a while when my wife and I had our first child, (kind of makes you change your priorities) but I'm back now and closer then ever!

I've loved Airstreams for about as long as I can remember, even as a kid I was always fascinated by them, and now that I'm an adult (yea, right!) I think it's just plain an obsession. Anyway, my search is finally nearing it's end, I'm just in the "working out the details" phase now.
My Dad, who is a city official here where I live, came up to me the other day and said, "Hey, I found one of those trailers you like. It's behind an old building near a demolition site I was inspecting." Well of course I ran right over there and sure enough, a mid 60's Safari just sitting there, tucked away in a little nook between the building and a fence... In the middle of the city no less! Funny thing is, it's a business that my company works closely with, I'm friends with everyone who works there, and I'm there almost weekly! So I asked the owner of the business what the deal was with the old trailer out back. He says, "Oh, the Airstream? Yea that's mine, why do you ask?" Well, needless to say I go off on a bit of a rant about it, falling just short of driving everyone in the room bananas. I ask all the usual questions and learn that it has been sitting in it's little cubby for 8 or 9 years without any love or attention. He says he and the wife have been thinking about selling it for a while now as the kids are all grown up and business is booming. The last time it was used was in 2001 and he says he probably won't be using it again anytime in the foreseeable future. He also told me the history of it for the couple of decades that he's owned it and that he bought it from the original owner, an elderly neighbor of his who was no longer using it. He all but agreed to sell it to me and said he'd bring in the keys so I can see the inside condition and also said he'd try to figure out what it is worth and give me a "better deal than that". Well, here I am 3 weeks later still waiting for the keys! It's driving me nuts, but I go visit every couple of days and just stare from the other side of the fence.
So here is my question. During one of my visits, I snapped a few pics, got the VIN and learned the details. It's a '67 Safari Overlander, Cali, Twin. The part I'm confused about is why there's an International badge on the outside if it's an Overlander. Anyone know about that? Would it be because it has some interior International upgrades, did they badge that? And isn't there supposed to be a porch light there? Maybe the badge was from somewhere else on the trailer and was moved there to cover the light. Weird. Anyway, I'm very excited to be joining this great community and hope someday to be able to contribute something back.

Thanks everybody!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badge (Large).JPG
Views:	150
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	86806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badge 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	86807  

boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome back to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I can't help with your question, but I am sure that someone here will know.

Good luck in your quest. Post some pictures when you get to see the inside.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It looks like you trailer (hopefully) is a 67 Safari with the International trim package. I'm not sure where the Overlander name came from since that is the name assigned to a trailer 4 feet longer then the Safari.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ogden , Utah
I could be wrong, but I assumed from this pre-'80 Serial Number ID chart that the trim packages were called either Overlander or International. I think later on there was an actual model named the Overlander? Instead of it being just a trim package.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pre1980vin.pdf (16.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Unfortunately, that .pdf information - while being "the best there is" - is wrong.

The "O" (oh) in your VIN number is really a "0" (zero). It's actually just a VIN number placeholder - not an "Overlander" designation, which is a length designation like "Safari" is a length - it can't be both. From the looks of the pictures it's a Safari. Whoever placed that "pre1980vin" document out there in the first placed had the definition wrong and it has just been perpetuated over the years. I know, it was even on the Airstream Inc. website...but it's still wrong.

If you post the VIN number - we can confirm what you have there. The thing that is kinda odd is that "International" badge in the pictures is from a 1960 trailer - but the trailer itself (& the "0" in the VIN) indicate it it is a 1965 or newer (no door-in-a-door) and it doesn't have the "International" package ("0" instead of "I") of the '60s.

BTW, good luck with you impending purchase!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Nice call on the age of the International Badge on the trailer. It looks like it was placed over the top of the scare light.

Richard

Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ogden , Utah
Thanks Shari, nice to know that's incorrect! I wonder why the creator doesn't fix it or remove it at least? I'd heard that decoding a vin was a bit complicated, but then I came across that .pdf and it seemed simple enough.
Thanks for setting me straight! I'll find the pic with the whole number on it and post it here in a bit.

azflycaster, why is it called a scare light?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It's a bright light that will scare night time visitors away when turned on.

Richard

Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Judging by the windows, it's one of the 66/67/or 68 models.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ogden , Utah
Scare Light... hope it's still there, sounds like fun!

Anyway, here's the pic of the #'s. The last two digits on the lower right are just shy, if they're necessary to reading, it let me know.

Thanks for all the help so far!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2 copy.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	86851  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The new documentation at Airstream does not refer to the O=Overlander, it refers to it as a Land Yacht. Airstream, Inc :: 60s
BTW, I stand corrected on my original statement, your trailer does not have the International trim package, it is a Land Yacht, Safari, 1967, Made in California and has single beds.

Richard

Old 09-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Great looking trailer. Best of luck securing its acquisition. You'll find that this is a great length of trailer for a small family. Let us know how it woirks out for you and when you get access to the interior, post some pictures. Let's hope the inside is as good looking as the outside.

If I get you a new scare light, can I get the International badge??? I've been searching for one for a long time.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post

If I get you a new scare light, can I get the International badge??? I've been searching for one for a long time.

Brad
FF

But say there's already a scare light there under the badge, what do you have for me then? I'm thinking though that it isn't there. If you look closely at this pic, there's a scratch that passes right over the light and through to the window frame. I'll bet it was broken if not torn off. Kind of looks like the window was broken and replaced with plexi too. If everything pans out, I'll get in touch with you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	86858  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ogden , Utah
Well, bad news. Looks like the guy is having second thoughts about selling it to me after-all. He says he might want it to go elk hunting in it someday. He did say he'd keep me at the top of the list if he ever does decide to sell it, in the meantime it'll just sit there unused for another 8 or 9 years and rot away. Sad. Trailers are not un-like buildings in that they, without occupation and human involvement, will decay. I'm not just sad about not being able to buy it but that it will just get worse and worse the more time that passes. I'm sure many of you have run into this over the years, someone that just hangs onto something for the "what-if" factor until the elements get to it, then they decide to sell it, what's left that is.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We've all seen those poor old dears sitting, neglected; sad.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
Well, bad news. Looks like the guy is having second thoughts about selling it to me after-all.
Well hang in there...now that you've been bitten, I'm sure "your Airstream" will be just around the corner!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ogden , Utah
Thanks all for the kind words! I talked to him again today and he said it's not that he doesn't want to sell it, he's just unsure at the moment so he want's to hang onto it and give it some more thought. I'll keep the pressure on him!
In the meantime, I'm actively looking for something similar. Pretty stuck on the '66-'68 models, but not set on a size. There's a nice Overlander here for sale but it's just a hair out of my price range at the moment. I have 3 vintage SOB's to unload so that will help to keep my mind occupied for a bit.

Tags
1967 safari