Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #1

1978 31' Sovereign
Glen Ellyn , Illinois
Hello friends!

We took the plunge and bought our first Airstream about 6 months ago and have been living in it for nearly 4 months now.

About to take our second trip with her and just wanted to do a little research on here to find out if anyone on here can search their registry books for the number "21708". It's faint, but I think that was from the first owner, who took this 31' International overseas and back! I think it must be pretty rare that they make it back from an oversea journey considering the premium they can fetch outside the US.

Would love to know if you have any info about it, love learning the history on it. Listening to the original 8 tracks that it came with is like stepping into the past.
RollDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado. Welcome to the Airstream community. You jumped in the deep end with your Sovereign and full timing. Maybe you are planning on getting out of the cold Great Lakes area and heading south.

You can research the "Wally Byam Caravan Club International" or WBCCI, and see if they have any records on that number. That 5 digit number seems high to me for a club number. My 75 Overlander 27' has a four digit number beginning with 8XXX. I plan on joining WBCCI and hope I can keep this number. You can search these Forums for the thread that researches these numbers.

My Overlander had quite a bit of rust on the rear crossmember and rot on the plywood subfloor in the rear. The body became detached from the frame back there. This is called "rear end separation". My frame rails were sagging about 3/8". It is a rare 70s trailer that does not have this condition unless it has been repaired. I'm repairing mine this winter. This condition is caused by a Airstream design flaw involving a poor rear body to frame water seal and I think too much weight on the rear of the trailer. Maybe you did the "bumper jump" test before you bought your trailer. It is a necessary and yet not terribly expensive repair to keep thee vintage Airstreams strong.

Jump right in these Forums. You can learn about every rivet in your trailer, learn about nice places to visit, have a chuckle or two and make some new "pen pals".

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote