Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
BJH
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Springtown , Texas
Hello Everybody

I'm new to this forum so I guess a short intro is in order. I live in a small town in the Piney Woods of East Texas. Retired[kinda-sorta], live on 3.5 acres out in the country with my wife, my dog and her cat. I like to grow some of my own vegetables, that is when this Texas weather will permit it, and piddle around the house. Sounds great don't it? Well, it can get pretty boring too so I thought I would buy an old classic trailer to fix up and drag around the country. So, after a loooong time of lookig I finally managed to locate and buy a 1974 24' Argosy trailer. And I Love it! This trailer is in great shape for it's age, not Pristine but plenty good enough to camp in from time to time while I fix it up. I know I am going to need a lot of advice for this project and I hope some of you out there will be able to help me out. I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get. So, thanks in advance and I'll be posting soon.
BJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Hello, and welcome!

I'm over in the South Plains of Texas ...

We all like to see pictures of the projects and would love to see what yours looks like and the what all ya'll're fixin' to fix.

Whatever the issues you run into ... do a search of the forums or if you can't find a hint of how to ... then just ask away ... you'll get more answers than you could ever expect.

Welcome!
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hello Everybody

Greetings BJH!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJH View Post
Well, it can get pretty boring too so I thought I would buy an old classic trailer to fix up and drag around the country. So, after a loooong time of lookig I finally managed to locate and buy a 1974 24' Argosy trailer. And I Love it! This trailer is in great shape for it's age, not Pristine but plenty good enough to camp in from time to time while I fix it up. I know I am going to need a lot of advice for this project and I hope some of you out there will be able to help me out. I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get. So, thanks in advance and I'll be posting soon.
The twenty-four foot trailers are a popular size in both Argosy and Airstream flavors and I am sure that you will find your coach to be quite enjoyable. I might make one suggestion . . . if your Argosy doesn't have a rock guard on the front window, it is a wise investment. The front panoramic windows were pioneered in the first generation Argosy travel trailers (1972-1979), and the clear glass panels utilized in the deep-wrap wing windows on the side are no longe available outside of a salvage yard. You can find new replacements today, but they will be the solar gray tinted units utilized in the current Airstream trailers. Our Argosy coaches utilize the same three-piece rock guard as the narrow body Airstreams (the center section must be narrowed about 8" for Argosy Minuet coaches). The three-piece rock guard may seem quite costly, but it represents the approximate cost of one replacement wing window.

Good luck with your Argosy!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Lecompton , Kansas
Welcome aboard. I have not been on much since I joined but now that I too am semi-retired that will change. I am in the early stages of restoring a 1976 31' Sovereign. Turning out to be a task but I'm enjoying talking to and meeting new people.

WBCCI member #5645
drbseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome... it's always nice to see new people join the Forums, nicer still when they're here in Texas and just fantastic when it's another Argosy being rescued and put back on the road!

You're not all that far from TAHI (an Airstream residential community) and you're closer than I am to the site of the next Texas Vintage Airstream Club rally in Gonzales, TX in October 2013. Hopefully you'll have your Argosy on the road and join us there (if not before.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote