Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Portland , Oregon
Wink Hello, & here comes another newbie!

Have been dreaming & searching for a while now, & think I've finally found my airstream! A 74' tradewind, and if all goes well should be picking it up this weekend! I am Very excited and overwhelmed! where to start? ; lots of projects to go, and am so glad to have this site as a resource, I have been reading through many of the restoration threads already, and appreciate the tons of great info & helpful members. I'm sure once I get into these projects, I'll need all the help I can get, and look forward to learning as I go.
all the best,
Nola
nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Good luck on the restoration. This is the best place I know of to find out about Airstreams. Please keep us posted and post plenty of pictures.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi and welcome to the forums. Congrats on your new purchase. consider coming to the trout lake mini rally not too far from your town. We have an active northwest forums group - and most of us are in various stages of repair. here's a link to the rally discussion

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome from a '72 Tradewind owner to the North of you!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Portland , Oregon
Smile Thanks for the warm welcome

Thanks all for the welcome, we are leaving tomorrow morning to go pick it up! And then, the fun begins.. ;-) will take lots of pics to document the whole process, from it's current humble beginnings (needs some work.. ;-)) and I'm sure will be posting many requests for help .
Janet- Thanks for the invite for the rally, since we will just be getting in tomorrow night, will have to miss this one, but will definetly be looking for upcoming NW rallies, would be great to meet up with some airstreamers in the area.
whohoo, here we go!
Old 07-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Nola -
Welcome to the forums. I almost bought a 74 Trade Wind when I was looking. I went for a newer one .......

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Portland , Oregon
Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Nola -
Welcome to the forums. I almost bought a 74 Trade Wind when I was looking. I went for a newer one .......
Too funny.. ok "youngster" I'm sure I have a lot too learn from you, have read a lot of your previous posts and learned a lot already, and appreciate the humor too..

A quick one to start with, on your tradewind are you running 1 or 2 batteries (saw a lot of post's around running 2 12's & was wondering there room for 2?) One of the first things I need to do is replace the battery or with 2 batteries, and haven't got it here yet don't know what will fit & am searching prices.. was wondering what you did since I think ours are similar, appreciate any input.

By the way, we are one digit different on something else, my b-day is oct 25th
all the best,
Nola
Old 07-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola
Too funny.. ok "youngster" I'm sure I have a lot too learn from you, have read a lot of your previous posts and learned a lot already, and appreciate the humor too..

A quick one to start with, on your tradewind are you running 1 or 2 batteries (saw a lot of post's around running 2 12's & was wondering there room for 2?) One of the first things I need to do is replace the battery or with 2 batteries, and haven't got it here yet don't know what will fit & am searching prices.. was wondering what you did since I think ours are similar, appreciate any input.

By the way, we are one digit different on something else, my b-day is oct 25th
all the best,
Nola
I have only one battery. The compartment for the battery is in the rear under the bathroom closet. You would have to redo the box to get 2 in that area and then, would you want that weight that far to the rear. We do not use alot of power when we camp. We can go 3 days with no problem. For extended boondocking I have a Honda eu1000i generator.
As fas as the birthday goes, Scorpios rule

Richard

Old 07-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
no rush on the batteries unless you plan on boondocking soon. You can get started on other resto stuff in the meantime. Good luck and welcome.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Portland , Oregon
Red face whohoo, it's home!

Thanks for the replies & info on the battery, I just bought one optima blue top for now, to get things going (old one was toast) figured I can look at whether I want\need more later & you're right, two won't fit without redo'ing the box.
but, the great new is, it's home! we picked it up yesterday afternoon, and got it home last night!! am so excited! It's pretty dirty, but was happy to find more of the interior items worked than I had expected. And the parts for items being worked all are pretty much all stowed away in the cupboards. Has a known issue with the gray water tank being cracked & needing to be replaced, as well as the gas tanks (older ones have gas in them but said they can't be refilled), but the stove, fans, lights, control panel, furnace all work, and seems to be in better general condition aside from some dirt than I remembered it being when we first looked at it. Washing it abit & checking out the rest of the appliances today. A bit overwhelmed but really exicted! Been thinking about this for a long time & here it is sitting in my driveway..wow! ;-) Some first pics.. the people in second is the previous owner Jerry on left and me on right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pickingupairstream01.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	23353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry&Nola.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	23354  

Name:	IMG_1976.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	23355  
Old 07-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Nice looking trailer. Now you are hooked. It will consume you and you will never have more fun, unless it's when you actually go camping. Congratulations.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking nice looking trailer....

could we see some interior pics....
i have a 75 Tradewind and have spent all afternoon removing the bathroom to the first split wall....

rear 8 inches of floor rotted out....i have no idea what i am doing but have learned sooooooo much on the forums that i actually felt safe in giving it a go....i have some rot under the front goucho but not really bad just a few inches each corner....

good luck and keep us posted on things...

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Nice looking trailer. When I bought mine last year I had the same condition with the propane tanks. I just used them untill one ran out. I then bought new aluminum tanks from VTS. You could get the tanks upgraded if you want to keep them. I think it costs around $30 each to get them upgraded. The aluminum ones cost me $300 which includes shipping. I also spent a few hours polishing them up. Best of luck with your "new" trailer and just ask if you have any questions.....

Richard

Old 07-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Nice looking unit Nola,,I had a 1971 Trade Wind.. Have a 30 ft Limited now.. Love them..My daughter had a 23 ft safari 1972 that very nice...You will Love it!!! Ralph 4201KW8G
Airboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Portland , Oregon
cleaning, & cleaning & more cleaning.....

Hi All, thanks for the replies, you're right I am hooked.. I've been trying to clean it the past few days, inside & out, as I think it was sitting for a while, and the bathroom....how to put it? well... it wasn't pretty - hadn't been cleaned in a while. Some funny things - when going through the drawers, found it came complete with socks & underwear.. ( I was always wondering where the socks seem to disappear to.. now I know!)
tested out most of the other appliances & the only thing I can't get to work yet is the fridge... (not sure if it's just me cuz I don't know how the thing works or what yet) but will try to look at it some more over the next couple of weeks. First priority is the gray water tank & figuring out what I need to do there to get it replaced, it's cracked & broken in several places.. the fun is begining... ;-)
Some interior pics, as I first got it, cleaning underway now, you can see the grey water tank in one pic sitting in the front, they did have the foam beds redone a few years back, and last pic gives you an idea of the bathroom as I started cleaning...eww
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fridgecounterside.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	23490   Click image for larger version

Name:	front view.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	23491  

Name:	backbed.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	23492   Click image for larger version

Name:	sinkside.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	23493  

Name:	bathroombeforecleaning.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	23494   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleaningbathroom.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	23495  

Old 07-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The layout of your trailer is the same as my 75. It looks like it is cleaning up nicely! You have the same color countertops and all. I think the refrigerator is the same too. The controls for mine are inside the unit on the bottom. The unit must be level for the refrigerator to work correctly. It will take several hours before the unit will start to cool down. You will notice the freezer walls getting cold first. Are you trying to run it on shore power or propane?

Richard

Old 07-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Cheers on the new AS!

This is your best photo posted.....the celebration
Attached Images

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Portland , Oregon
refer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The layout of your trailer is the same as my 75. It looks like it is cleaning up nicely! You have the same color countertops and all. I think the refrigerator is the same too. The controls for mine are inside the unit on the bottom. The unit must be level for the refrigerator to work correctly. It will take several hours before the unit will start to cool down. You will notice the freezer walls getting cold first. Are you trying to run it on shore power or propane?
Thanks! I was trying to run it on power, but also think that the trailer is not quite level, plus I didn't wait very long (maybe 30 mins) so will try those two things & see how it goes. Thanks for the tips!

& Azstreaming ... yep - we had to have a nice cold beer & celebrate!
all the best!
Nola
Old 07-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Two beers

Two beers will make the work go even faster.....I think?
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to harestream
Nice to meet you all. Sounds like good timing on my part to join in the Newbie section, as this is my first posting and introduction to the airstream world as an owner. Just a quick bio to introduce myself to you all.. Me (kelly) and my boyfriend Bill decided to leave our lives in NYC and buy a 1972 Tradewind 25' and live in it and travel around. We are in the process of finding a towing vehicle (ideally we get something which we can convert to bio-diesel) So any suggestions or feedback on towing vehicles is much appreciated. We are very excited about our purchase, and it appears to be in very good shape, although it has been sitting in outdoor storage in MASS for the last few years. We might have a hole underneath, and the interior layout seems to be bothering us more than we thought it would. Somebody with expertiese, please help!! It is a rear bath, twin model. We thought the fold out sofa would be big for us but it seems cramped. Since we need this for everyday we are willing to do a bit of handywork (tight budget) ourselves, to maybe tear out a twin, or somewhow work it in the back to give us a larger sleeping area. Is anybody familliar with websites that show restorations converting a twin model? I would hate to yank it out later realize it wasn't even necessary, or to do it blindly when I should of actualy taken it somewhere. Also, what is under that plastic wall? can I tear that out or will I be left shivering at night with no solid insulation. sometimes i wonder should I of held out, and got a 60's model? the 70's ones are cool, but oh! All the wood laminate. something really needs to be done. UPDATES galore!!!