Old 09-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #1

1971 23' Safari
New York , NY
hello - and help please!

Hi, my name is jess! My business partner and I have a 1971 airstream safari, we are a fully operational catering company and have refurbished the trailer as a kitchen. Our front window blew out last night on the highway and we are in desperate need of a replacement window. It is the one closet to the tow vehicle. We are based in NYC and have to be in ohio on Monday the 28th. Trying to get this fixed prior to that. ANY HELP OR LEADS WOULD BE TREMENDOUSLY HELPFUL!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, AND VERY HAPPY TO HAVE FOUND THIS NETWORK OF PEOPLE! JESS
jbsalinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I would first try to get the it replaced.

Call around.

Good luck...

Bob
🇺🇸

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum, and sorry for your baptism by fire.

I can’t help with the window itself, other than to make some suggestions. If could post photos of what is left, and take measurements that will help a lot.

Also suggest you locate some Lexan sheet material [1/4” maybe?] and have a piece ready to go to cover the missing glass etc.. Round the corners and sand the edges smooth so that they won’t cut the tape you may have to use. Plus plenty of duct tape to rig up a temporary weather-proof road-ready patch.

Lexan comes in lots of shades that will match the trailer’s color, so combined with gray tape, the repair might just look OK.

Obviously you would prefer an opening window [like the original?], but a good patch should at least let you keep your engagement.

Good luck!

PS — NYC should have plenty of plastics fabricators who can fill your needs very quickly.
PS2 — Bob’s blue text is a hot link to a good lead, in case you don’t know this.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings from Colorado: What do you mean "blew out". Did the glass shatter like a rock hit it? Was it an attempted break in? Were the curved wing windows broken also? Did the catering kitchen conversion install something in the front of the trailer that stressed the body? Was the window frame or trailer body damaged in any way? A photo of the damage would be worth a thousand words so someone can help you.

The front glass in a 71 Airstream if flat laminated safety glass. Any window glass shop should be able to install and reseal a new glass. The wing windows are special to Airstream. I, and many others have gone to the hardware store, purchased a piece of plexiglass or Lexon, cut it to size, and taped it in place until a permanent repair can be done.

Let's see what others who have had similar experiences say.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792

Link to our 1976 Renovation Project:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...ct-202081.html
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote