Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Hello Airstream Fans!

I'm glad to have found this forum and hope to purchase my first Airstream soon. Thank you for providing valuable information and friendly assistance!
Susie in Texas
Su-Z-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings Susie in Texas! Welcome to the forums and we are happy to have you with us. Which AS are you looking at?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

Welcome to the Forums.. Until you receive your official rule book, I can provide a quick preview..

1. Learn to use the search tab above, now available to you as a "Member"... Click on it, type secret words, and see many many messages and threads appear. Very cool..
2. Look for threads like Silver Sisters Rally and other messages to see how easy it is to buy, upgrade and tow your new Airstream. All you really need is a good credit score, or alternatively, actual cash...
3. Find and join a "Forums Rally".. Generally the rules will include a date and location, plus a suggested meal time for Saturday evening, if a weekend event... Beyond that, rallies here are pretty flexible, and flags and berets not required.. (Though alternate headgear, secret handshakes and a working knowledge of a Margarita Ball seem to be gaining in popularity.. )

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Howdy

I'm interested in smaller trailers, 1950's or 60's with no major issues. I have been trying to reach the owner of a '55 Flying Cloud for sale here in Austin, but no response to my request to look it over.

Do people really buy without seeing the trailer or having another member check it over???? This would be a major purchase for me. I appreciate your opinions, wishing you good weather and a happy tomorrow!
Susie

Old 02-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
People do...

Susie-

Some do buy sight unseen, and for some it works out, and for others not so well.. Search for buying remote or local inspection or other phrases to read some good and bad stories. There are members here who are trustworthy and will look at a trailer if you can't get to see it yourself, to at least give some credibility to honesty or lack thereof of seller..

E-Bay has a number of successes and horror stories as well, but seems to be higher risk. My personal advice would be to NOT buy without a witness or inspection via E-Bay.

We bought our 25' trailer 3 1/2 years ago from couple in Ft. Worth (1868 miles away..) without seeing it, but I had the following things going for me-

- I am a contracts attorney, with friends in Dallas area to help bail me out if I got really screwed
- I had digital photos, and exchanges of e-mails, plus live telephone conversations with the sellers. I knew their full names, where they each worked, what they did for a living, where they lived, and why they were selling. I also had home and work phone numbers.
- I was willing to agree to doomsday provision where I would get $$ back but not driving expenses if I got to Ft. Worth and concluded trailer not worth buying, or not as represented. Seller had agreed as well, knowing they could find another buyer within a week or two at price they were offering.
- Funds wired in full in advance so they wouldn't be tempted to sell for more to someone else while I was in transit. Our Credit Union had all records on their banking accounts if I had to do reversal later.
- It was at a price where I could afford some hassling and not be desperate if it took a while to get things sorted out, and I assumed I'd have to spend several hundred $$ fixing things that were wrong and minor but not disclosed. (and I did..)
- We'd owned a 24' Brand X trailer for 14 years, and I had all the tools and hitch parts and other things I thought I might need to get home safely, after driving 1900 miles in 2 1/2 days to get there....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 02-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Z-Q
I'm interested in smaller trailers, 1950's or 60's with no major issues.
boy when you find one, let me know. we can bottle it and sell it

welcome to the forums!

smaller trailers are harder to come by and therefore command a higher price.

smaller trailers, 50's60' with no major issues are very hard to come by and if you do find one with the major issues taken care of, expect to pay 15K or more.

if your seriously looking at 50's 60's smaller trailer, plan on spending around 3K or more for the shell. even if the interior looks okay, the subfloor will likely be rotten and have to be replaced. then you'll have to renovate it to the tune of 10K or more not to mention the months of physical labor. i'm not trying to discourage you but prepare you for what will become a most enjoyable and rewarding experience.

i bought my flying cloud sight unseen, merely based on a few pictures and some emial correspondance with the previous owner. it was exactly as i expected when i showed up because i did a lot of research and reading on this forum. if you want to get a smaller trailer, chances are you'll have to buy sight unseen and based on pictures, because if you don't, someone else will.

good luck on your search. keep us posted.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Z-Q
I'm interested in smaller trailers, 1950's or 60's with no major issues. I have been trying to reach the owner of a '55 Flying Cloud for sale here in Austin, but no response to my request to look it over.
Su-Z-Q,
What you are looking for in an Airstream is very desirable and trailers of this size and vintage without issues is not going to come cheap. Check out the classifieds herre on the forum, Craigs List and there are a few links here to good RV sellers. Don't be surprised at $10K and if you want it to be issue free, polished and ready to go expect up to $25K. Happy hunting and keep in touch.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Upon further review...

Susie-

If this is a major purchase for you, and "extra" money won't be readily available (extra money is just a hair to the left of "leftover money" which very few of us have..), then I'd recommend somebody you trust take a look at any trailer you buy before committing to buy.

It might also be worth extra patience to find the right one... There are lots of variations on "good condition" or "great shape" in the universe of sellers, and a problem trailer could cost lots to get usable...

The smaller and lighter ones are popular because more people can tow them or park them in driveways and side yards and they can go more places (many public parks have max size limits..). I'd recommend committing to find a clean and well maintained or previously restored trailer, even if it takes some time.

And as cute as the models from the 50's or 60's are, models from 1980 through 1994 are narrower than new ones (usually just under 96") and lighter for same length, and appliances, air conditioner, plumbing and systems might be in better condition. A 1986 model might sell for less than a 1965 model, just because it isn't really a "Collectable", yet you'd only be 5 years from joining the Vintage Club...

Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Thanks Folks

Hello again, I appreciate your personal "trailer tales" and am prepared to do a lot of refurbishing and polishing.... they look so nice shined up! I am not a mechanic but kept '69 and '72 chevy trucks on the road for many years and made a run down house into a nice little farm.

My budget won't allow for everything at once, but I remain hopeful and have some nice antique furniture and a Home Comfort cook stove to trade or sell to put towards my little future home on wheels. Everyone here on the Forum has been so friendly that I'm certain I'll have a blast fixing and finding new friends.

Any leads to trailers looking for a happy new life will be sincerely appreciated. I am too cautious by nature to buy something major without putting my own two paws upon it first, so I guess I need to limit my search to Texas.

Sincerely Grateful!!!!
Susie

Old 02-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Do your homework!

Welcome, Su-Z-Q. What urbanfood said about doing a lot of research is so valuable. Then, when you find a potential purchase you will know what to expect and what to look for in the way of potential pitffalls. Information is power. This forum and other vintage sites on the web are very helpful. Good luck and may you find the Airstream that speaks to you.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #11

1966 24' Tradewind
bradenton , Florida
Su-Z-Q,
i am a EBAY affectinado. Bought my 66 tradewind on auction. A lot of different riggs listed. Watch for a period of time and you will develope a feel for what is available and what kind of price they bring. Don't get in to much of a hurry. Their is always another op. ofter better than the last. jmo
house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Su-Z-Q, Be patient and keep looking. This Forum will be an asset. We searched for 2 years before we found ours. We would not purchase without
seeing and many we located a distance from our home.

We are both working and taking a trip just to LOOK was not in our plans. Many purchase on e bay. We NEVER would. Search, search and then search again. Your little Airstream is out there. You will locate one. Searching is fun too. Good Luck.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, and good luck in your search for the perfect Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #14

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Question Confused About E-Bay Auction

Good Morning!

The auction ended for a trailer I was interested in, reserve lowered but not met and the seller hasn't replied to my e-mail asking him to confirm if it is still for sale and set a time for meto see the trailer??? It is nearby and I am holding firm that I must see it before willing to buy.

That seems reasonable to me, but I keep finding out that I am a bit old fashioned and wonder if I have intruded by e-mailing the seller?? I asked if the trailer is still for sale to please allow me to see it. If all is as described I offered $500. more than high bidder+ possable trade of nice antique wood burning cook stove or other antique furniture (seller remodeled his big limestone house per photobucket site, but it appears mostly unfurnished).

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm not in a hurry to buy and take your advice to heart. If it is meant to be then all will work out. Long ago my friend and retired lesson horse (Star) was lonely, as I had sold the other horses. So one day I decided to find her a companion... and as I looked up from my yard work, there came a horse trotting down my street (all by himself). Anyway; he was lost, turned right in my gate and into a stall as I opened the door for him.

It was a month before the owner came looking, and Star had a wonderful time as this young racehorse practically worshiped her (perhaps she looked like "Mom"). Anyway, soon after a friend needed a place for her filly and Star was never lonely again... lived to be 26 and was buried on my farm.

I am confused that a seller isn't eager to show the trailer, but the ball is in his court as they say...

A question, is it possable to pull dents out without drilling through the aluminum skin or tearing up the interior? I am sincerely grateful for your comments and suggestions!!!

Thanks
Susie

Old 02-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Susie--

Many E-Bay listers are bombarded by messages at close of auctions from people who want to avoid e-bay fees, or get a bargain below auction pricing.. Some sellers just ignore them all.

Some sellers also have a very firm opinion about how much their precious jewel is worth, and won't budge no matter what "market" tries to tell them... Sometimes patience works, or sometimes evidence of other sales at low prices, but sometimes they will just sit and watch it rot rather than sell for less than they know it's worth... They may not be big on e-mails, and might prefer phone contact. Is that same trailer listed in classifieds here?

And some people have had limited success pulling large shallow dents with toilet plungers, heat guns and vaseline... A serious deep dent or substantial crease is not likely to be removable, since the metal has stretched permanently, and will never look like original again...

Old 02-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Some sellers also have a very firm opinion about how much their precious jewel is worth, and won't budge no matter what "market" tries to tell them...
well said. that's why it also pays to do your research so you can figure out what a particular trailer costs that you're interested in.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Suzie,
Lots of great advice in the above posts.
One more thing to look into with the early trailers are pipe frames. From what I understand, all of the pipe frames either HAVE been replaced or beefed up, or NEED to be replaced or beefed up. Search for pipe frames for more info, including which years had them.
Good luck,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Do your homework!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
well said. that's why it also pays to do your research so you can figure out what a particular trailer costs that you're interested in.
I completely agree. I can't overemphasize the importance of research. Information is power and goes a long way towards determining if a potential purchase is more of a "project" than you want to handle and if the asking price is within an appropriate range.
Apparent bargins usually have a high unanticipated total cost if you don't know your stuff. Especially the vintage ones. But they are oh so worth it when you are prepared.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
Welcome, and goodluck finding your trailer. Try to take you time. I try to sleep on something before I jump in. We looked for a couple of years. We found one on my friends farm. Never new he had it. He had done a lot to her. However she needed a lot more, but the price was right. The ones we looked at before needed more work, and more money. This forum is an anwered pray. If you have any questions about an AS, this is the place. So much help. Happy hunting.
krazeekalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Welcome Susie in Texas from just up the road.

Gene in Arkansas
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote