Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
roswell , New Mexico
hello

I am happy to find a forum to discuss and obtain information concerning my 1976 airastream which I am rehabilitating. At present I am looking for information on the installation of shocks on the unit. If anyone could help it would be appreciated. I haven't belonged to an internet forum before so I may be somewhat naive to begin with. A happy day to all you airstream enthusiasts out there.
Dennis Schummer
deschummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Welcome Dennis,
I see your from Roswell, I was there a couple years ago, I have family in Las Cruses. Welcome, and thanks for saying hello!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Welcome & hello

You don't say what length your '76 A/S is. We purchased a '76 31' Sovereign in October 2007.

No doubt members of the forum will come on board with advice about your shocks. Also you can use the search feature and key in shocks and there will be all kinds of information for you.

Enjoy your rehabilitating!!

Bob
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #4

1976 31' Sovereign
1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
roswell , New Mexico
thank you airdale
Deschummm
Old 03-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #5

1976 31' Sovereign
1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
roswell , New Mexico
nairchnchyz
It is a 31 ft like yours thanks for the info
deschummm
Old 03-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Welcome aboard! You goy it, this is a great site and you can spend months just reveing old post for relivant threads. USe your search function as well. It really helps. Working on my old 73 and I can hardly think of a question that can't get an answer here. Best part is Andy and crew manage this site better than any I've seen. I expect it is the friendliest site on the web, but of course since we are all streamers that probably goes with the territory

Post pictures, and rest assured, there are plenty of us with vintage rigs and various budgets!
PS: Former Almagordo resident (72, 73) and still miss the sandy beachs of White Sands...even if we had no water there.
Welcome aboard.
Rob n Terry
Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Dennis, Glad your aboard, you can always find people to ask your quesions to. Alot of knowldged is always availible at the "Forums" section or use the "Search" function and type in word that relates to your interest, you'll ususally get a list of threads related to your interest. JB
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Your Welcome Dennis!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deschummm
I am happy to find a forum to discuss and obtain information concerning my 1976 airastream which I am rehabilitating. At present I am looking for information on the installation of shocks on the unit. If anyone could help it would be appreciated. I haven't belonged to an internet forum before so I may be somewhat naive to begin with. A happy day to all you airstream enthusiasts out there.
Dennis Schummer
Well I guess I will answer your question. Putting shocks on an A/S is about that same as a car, only easier. First, you need to get 4 shocks, best place will most likely be an A/s dealer near you or www.inlandrv, or www.vintagetrailersupply. The shock on an A/S are mounted darn near horizontal, sp do not try to use a gas shock from a auto supply, not to mention the shock mounts are an odd size. Once you get the shocks, pull the wheels, remove upper and lower shock nuts and washers (keep them to re-install), and remove and replace. It really is that simple.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Dennis,

Welcome to the forums. You live in a great part of the country. I used to travel through Roswell on business several time a year.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thumbs up

ummm, hey guys, is there a reason you're not telling Dennis about the torsion axles? new shocks won't do you much good if the axle needs replacing so let's just get it over with and OPEN THAT CAN OF WORMS

D-man, search "axle replacement" or something first, unless you've already ascertained that your axles are good. If so, shocks are a piece of cake, bro. you just take the old ones off and bolt the new ones on. I hope you are just that lucky too!

fotochop
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote