Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Winslow , Maine
Hello

I'm very new to this site and don't even have a trailer yet. My wife and I have always admired Airstreams and one day said we'd like to renovate one. Well, I plan on retiring next year from 35 yrs of teaching high school(Industrial Arts-primarily drafting and design, but also woodworking). Any thoughts on how we can get started? Where is the best place to look for used trailers? We want to start small.
thanks
Dan Camann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
There is a classified section on this site; however, I've had luck at RV Trader on the web. Sometimes just driving around and spotting Airstreams works too. At times dealers will have them. Be sure you look them over closely before you buy and ask any questions you want here on this site. Someone will be happy to help you with a check list on the trailer you might want. Every year and model has things to look out for. Don't start too small. Those older small units can be expensive and also can be a little cramped if you are planning to spend much time camping after retiring. We have a 24ft that is easy to pull and light because it is a vintage 78. The older trailers are usually much lighter than the newer ones. Ours weighed in on the truck scales at 3860 lbs, empty. You could have lots of fun rennovation a vintage Airstream. Good luck in your search.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Wink Stop and ask

Welcome... If you see one sitting .. do not be afraid to stop and ask if the person might be thinking of selling it.. we did and that is how we bought 2 of our Argosys that we have had.. Good luck and have fun on the journey...Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Welcome to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Camann
I'm very new to this site and don't even have a trailer yet. ....Any thoughts on how we can get started?....
The BEST place to get started is to become intimately acquainted with the "Search" button in the upper left hand pull-down at the top of the Forum Page. Use it to search "getting started", "what size trailer", "which tow vehicle", etc....it is not a very "smart" search tool, but it is honest - you may have to ask the same question several different ways to get all of the hits from the Forum - all of us came into these pages with some basic questions.

Since you can work with your hands you might want to consider a "rebuild" - hundreds of threads on that subject, also - just remember - time and money.

Arm yourself with LOTS of information on costs and just what needs to be inspected (and how) before you plunk down any money - fully understand just what it is you are looking for, then wait for the "right" deal to come along - it may take a while, but the wait will be worth it.

Don't forget that the cost of inspection and retrieval trips need to be built into your cost of purchase - a trailer that is one or two thousand bucks more expensive, but is located in the town next to you, may well be "worth" more to you than an identical unit located clear across the country.

Don't start too small...lots of people "trade larger" after a year or so of ownership - many more than who "trade smaller".

Luck.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I love Maine., When we picked up our motor home in New Hampshire we took our first trip up the coast of Maine. I hope to get back there some day. There is a really good fellow down in Bat Cave , NC named RichardT who has stable full of Airstreams if you could find the time and way to get there I bet he could fit you with what you need. You might want to PM him, he's on the forum.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wink Or of course you could get a 2005....

Hi and welcome. Last year a bought a 2005 CCD 22ft trailer after lots of careful consideration....

And last week I signed a contract for the new 2006 25' Safari FB SE (front bed, special edition).

As a result I have a road ready 22ft CCD for sale. Now I outgrew the 22ft CCD because I fulltime... AND suddenly lots of relatives who haven't visited me in 20 years want to come camping with me now and again. I saved enough money by not having a house and all of it's associated maintenance and utilities that I can afford to buy the new unit... got a good deal... so why not?

Fixing up is not so much a hobby as an obsession. And my two cents is that if you are getting ready to retire you have a maximum of 15 years of camping ahead of you. If you can afford it, buying an almost new A/S that you can camp in next week may make sense. If you buy vintage, you are looking at many weeks or even a year or two before you'll have it road ready.

Obviously I do have selfish motives for mentioning newer units, ... but whatever you decide, welcome to a great group who can help you ever step of the way.

Tin Lizzie (22ft CCD)
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Welcome to the forums!
We are another happy trailer owner who stopped at a house and knocked on the door..."Thinkin' about selling that airstream? We've noticed it hasn't moved in over a year."

www.vintageairsteam.com is also an excellent resource for information and condition vs. price aides.

There are also a lot of New Englanders on this site. They might chime in here, but they may know of people who are selling.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote