Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Stouffville, Ontario , ON
Hello :)

Hi everyone,
I am the owner of a new to me 2003 19' Bambi Safari. Will be going on our maiden voyage this September for 3 weeks in Ontario Canada. Am very excited and nervous about this new adventure as I am doing this solo and am a more mature camper. Does anyone have any opinions/experience with the TRAX trailer moving system? The one big fear I have about starting my airstream travels is the backing up.

Thanks for any advice/help you can offer me. Looking forward to being part of this wonderful forum.
ChristinaJul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaJul View Post
Hi everyone,
I am the owner of a new to me 2003 19' Bambi Safari. Will be going on our maiden voyage this September for 3 weeks in Ontario Canada. Am very excited and nervous about this new adventure as I am doing this solo and am a more mature camper. Does anyone have any opinions/experience with the TRAX trailer moving system? The one big fear I have about starting my airstream travels is the backing up.

Thanks for any advice/help you can offer me. Looking forward to being part of this wonderful forum.

Hi ChrisitinaJul, welcome to the forum!

I don't have experience with the Trax system (I own a class b). But I do have recent experience with rv'ing, having just purchased our rig last Fall. I suggest you take a short 1-3 day "shake down" trip or maybe just try a weekend of camping in your own driveway as a way to familiarize yourself your trailer's systems and test their operation. Many stories out there of batteries not holding charge etc. an other things you'll want to know before you find out during your trip.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to the Airstream community and these Forums. You now have the Bambi. I suppose they told you that short trailers are a bit more "sensitive" to backing up. It takes a little practice, but you will be fine.

Some of my experiences backing up:

1. Always get out of the vehicle and look at what you are backing into. Look for low hanging branches, picnic tables, power and sewer connections, or other obstacles that you don't want to back into. Always do this.

2. Do the "J" maneuver to get the trailer's rear end position into the campsite or driveway you are going to back into. The idea is to "scoop" your vehicle and trailer in front of the driveway to get the rear of the trailer pointed toward the area you are backing into.

3. Select reverse, place one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Turn the wheel in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. You won't need big movements of the wheel. It takes practice.

4. Once the trailer is backing up in the direction you want, then you will need to move the the steering wheel in the opposite direction to straighten out the trailer. Again, with a hand on the bottom of the steering wheel moving your hand and wheel in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go.

5. Back slowly, checking your mirrors.

Go to a big empty parking lot and practice. First try backing straight up about 10 feet. Then try getting the back of the trailer to turn in the direction you want. Try again, try again. It just takes practice.

Others may chime in and give you other tips.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Get in the habit of using the mirrors. Don't turn your head around.
Do you have adequate tow mirrors on the TV?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coldwater , Mississippi
Hi Christina and welcome from another noob! When I was teaching my daughters how to back a trailer, I took them to a large sports venue on a Sunday morning when the 100acre parking lot was empty. I said ‘we’re going to back this trailer(6’x10’)around this entire parking lot’. around light poles and everything else. After a couple of hours they both had it down. Don’t jackknife it was the first lesson. We had a lot of laughs! But no damage because there were no cars to hit. It’s a good way to learn.
SEC dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Thanks for all the good advice. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Backing a trailer can be a little daunting at first, but it is not that hard to get good at. Find a big open parking lot to do a little practicing. You will get the feel of it pretty quickly.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
Before owning the FC19, I traveled with a 19’ Scamp. That Scamp is like a 5th wheel, with the hitch in the bed of a truck. I have also towed boats, a Pop-Up camper and utility trailers. I find that the Airstream is the easiest one of all to back. The response to steering input is wonderful. As others have said, it just takes practice.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome. All good advice so far. I’d add that my wife and I did an RV Safe Driver course the first weekend we had the trailer. We had never towed anything before. 80% of the 2 weekend days were spent in reverse. It was great. One of the practices was to parallel park it. My wife nailed it first try. Me? Well, thankfully this was training so it was ok to try it 3 times [emoji3]

You can find a course like that at most local CDL (commercial drivers license) training facilities or some RV centers. Google for something near you if you like.

It all boils down to practice. Good luck and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Thanks for that terrific advice. I had no idea this was offered to the general public.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I've attached what I think is a pretty good video about backing a travel trailer. The only thing I do differently is put my hand a 6 O'clock rather than 12.

You might want to consider renting a Uhaul trailer for a day not only to practice backing but just getting used to having something towed behind you. Good advice from all.

https://youtu.be/p1B5d_K2__4

Good luck!