Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
Hello!

Hello. My name is Toby. My wife and I live in Sonoma County CA. We don't own an Airstream...yet. Today we took the first step and went to Bay Area Airstream in Fairfield to look at trailers. What a place! A bit overwhelming the sheer number of coaches there. I'm retiring in a couple of years so I wanted to get one before that happens, so I'd be used to it before we started taking longer trips that we're planning after I retire.

I've been lurking around here for the last few days reading up on what all ya' all are doing. I'm sure to add to that soon. I have a few questions regarding my truck (it's a 2004 F-150 FX4, 5.4L, 3:73, 4R70W transmission that needs a rebuild or replace before I start towing), and I'm sure to have questions as I progress through the process of purchasing our first AS.
TobyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello and welcome. I recently retired and now enjoy traveling around this great country of ours in our Airstream. Ours is old and has many miles and many memories on it already. It is nice to be all warm and cozy on a cold, rainy night with all the comforts of home. There are lots of campers out there, but Airstreams are special. It's like sleeping in a Lear jet fuselage! They tow nicely, and last a long time.

Take your time to find the right one for you.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
My wife and I love our 2013 F150 Ecoboost. It handles our 2008 30' Classic very well. No problems accelerating to merge on the freeway. It is set up for max tow, 11.3 k lbs, and with a Hendley hitch, makes cornering and backing a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I have the same truck and replaced the engine at 150,000 miles. The new engine tows the 25 Ft FC just fine. Over 4,000 miles as of now, no issues.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
How much was the engine replacement? I have to do something about my transmission too. Hard shift, kicks every now and then. I'd rather not buy a new TV and a new AS at the same time.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Six grand, including labor, for a FORD engine. That is important as the cam solenoids went out after 12,000 miles, and the work was warranty and subsequently free. I have a great mechanic in Napa that did it in five days. PM if you want his contact info or call me.

I was in Napa shopping in Fairfield. I would suggest you call Lauren at Colonial in New Jersey when you know what you want. I saved $10,000 going to the east coast, and another $5,000 by becoming a resident of South Dakota (3% sales tax versus 10% in Napa, CA.)

I also put Billstein shocks in the rear of the truck, and airbags...tows like a dream...
Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Toby
I am also looking forward to retiring but I am trying to eliminate nasty future maintenance items related to the tv or the Airstream. Therefore, new stuff only since the maintenance is much more predicable and it is easier to smooth out cash flow. I am sure you know the routine, no surprises. Do it soon. Adds to longevity. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
Six grand, including labor, for a FORD engine. That is important as the cam solenoids went out after 12,000 miles, and the work was warranty and subsequently free. I have a great mechanic in Napa that did it in five days. PM if you want his contact info or call me.

I was in Napa shopping in Fairfield. I would suggest you call Lauren at Colonial in New Jersey when you know what you want. I saved $10,000 going to the east coast, and another $5,000 by becoming a resident of South Dakota (3% sales tax versus 10% in Napa, CA.)

I also put Billstein shocks in the rear of the truck, and airbags...tows like a dream...
I visited Fairfield yesterday with my wife. First time. Saw ALOT of trailers. I think we narrowed it down to the 2015 27' Queen bed Flying Cloud (but you know how that goes!). MSRP is $88,181 and it had the awning package as well as a few other options on it. Is buying these anything like buying a car? Any negotiating?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Totally open to negotiation. But from personal experience I can tell you that you need to talk with Lauren at Colonial in New Jersey...use my name...Vincent Goetz.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I suggest you strike your best deal with a local AS dealer if you can. You will definitely have warranty issues to resolve, and it's good to know whether your dealer has a strong service department. If you can handle that stuff yourself, than disregard.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy! I would make best "deal" Wherever. If u are traveling you won't be by your purchasing dealer anyway! If you will only camp locally then buy locally. As for the TV, that is your call on repair/replace. I went with new TV so I hope to have less worry. But that's your call. On the AS I bought used and have repaired as I go along. You will have trouble doing on the road deep repairs without proper tool access. If a new AS, you must find an AS dealer to repair..under warranty. Nothin diff from any type trailer. You will take big "hit" on Depreciation. That is a reason I bought used.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote