Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Hello!

Just joined! We are considering buying a Sport 16 within two years. We have been saving up. I have so many questions and have been doing searches to find the answers. I want to see what we will be getting into. We have never towed anything. So, true trailer newbs. We live near downtown Seattle. With some reconfiguring, we could possibly manage to park a Sport on our postage stamp sized property. I really don't want to pay for storage around here. Just the logistics of storage is a bit daunting. Then there's maintenance, towing, vehicle choice (we have a 95 Jeep Cherokee, no hitch). I guess it's time to learn! We go hiking often, and tent camping every year. But we always vow that we will never do it again because it's so much work! It's become a running joke. We just love to go on road trips through the North Cascades. So, just wanted to introduce myself!

Vicki
David-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Welcome Aboard!

This is a great place to hang around, especially when you are considering jumping in. Fair warning: Aluminitis has no known cure and, once caught, can lead to a lifetime of shiny fun all over the continent.

If you come across the perfect deal on a more capable tow vehicle during the next two years, you might consider going for it. The Cherokee is lots of fun but has a very short wheel base, not great for towing. Even a 16'.

Other than that, enjoy the view.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. A 16' Sport is fairly light and towable with any decent size vehicle.

Give us your driveway measurements and some photos and we we help you find a way to get the Airstream tucked in next to your house.

If you can, it would be best to keep the Airstream at home. We keep ours at home and have found that it is much easier to load and unload/clean up. Therefore you will tend to use it more often. It is also much easier to stay up on maintenance items if the Airstream is right out back.

Our Dear Lucy is plugged in behind the house, and it makes a excellent guest room when too many of our four grown sons show up with their sons. When this happens, we stay in the Airstream and give them the house. We have our privacy, and they can use our bedroom. It's a really good arrangement.

Do your research and take your time. The right Airstream will appear when you are ready.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Hello Mike, thanks for the advice. We've always bought used and we are very unsure about the capacity of this Jeep to pull anything without something going wrong. As a matter of fact, before we go on long road trips, we take it into the shop to make sure it won't fall apart. So, we are definitely considering something else. Maybe a Toyota Highlander. I was thinking of going through Costco - their certified preowned vehicles.

Vicki
Old 04-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Olympia , Washington
Hi

Welcome! We're new too. Ended up buying a 2014 20FC (we don't have it yet) after researching to death 16 - 19 - 20 - 22's.

Good luck on your search!
chevl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Cool beans! Since you have a generous time frame, it is nice to be able to shop around.

Part of the fun.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Hi Brian, yes, ours would definitely be tucked up against the house. I measured again today. That's a good idea to post pics and get some (many?) opinions. We have an idea of how to do it, but it means adding more concrete and tearing down an existing concrete wall that sits next to the alley, moving some steps, etc... so, big project. I'm wondering if it's a little crazy.

Chev - you must be so excited! What made you finally decide on the 20?
Old 04-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Welcome!

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote