Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Happy to finally Update my Profile!

Well,

After dreaming for a few years about being able to snag a trailer, I finally brought a 1970 Safari home this weekend.

I've read bunches of threads and sites telling me the correct proceedures, inspections, and "how-to's". But, as I sped down the country road and blew by the trailer for sale, I kinda knew I'd buy it before even stopping. I was already late for several appointments, so I only got the model & phone number. I couldn't even get out of the truck to take a look.

The next day, I talked to the seller. He sounded honest and gave me a good feeling. Seems this trailer was parked for about 12 years and used every weekend at a local campground. He no longer could pay the rent due to his other project. (restoration of a 1956 chevy convertible)

Well, we made a agreement! At this point I was wondering what I bought! My readings of this board taught me that the deal was very good and if I waited, the trailer would be sold. He in fact recieved several higher offers after our agreement.

I went out to inspect it the next day. The interior looks OK, but needs cleaned. More distressing is some "major" dents on each endcap from tree limbs. I think these can be somewhat fixed, but the back will probably require panel replacement. (Anybody got one?) Also, I have some pretty serious rust at the back bumper and frame. Again, it's repairable.

I'll post pic's soon. But more importantly, we're trying to come up with a good name. My son liked silver twinkie, but obviously its already taken. We're thinking about "ho-ho". Whats up with "twinkie" anyhow? Right shape, but ho-hos were wrapped in foil! Mine kinda looks like one now anyhow with the dents in front and back.....

I'd like to invite any board members to come out and take a look and maybe give me some pointers! I'm in Lorain, Ohio on Lake Erie about 20 minutes west of Cleveland. I'll supply the pop, coffee, or beer!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
70 Safari

Hi DanB,

I also Checked out that trailer. I went with cash in hand and aaalmost bought it. But the dents in the endcaps changed my mind. I am glad that it has found a good home. There is alot of potential there. Good luck wiht your new project.

Bob,
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi DanB-- As long as they don't leak, leave the dents, as they don't detract from the fun you will have with your A/S. This is a 35-year old trailer, and those are character lines. Have some fun with the dents. Circle them with paint, and make a character faces on them. Let your children pick out names for them and write these names underneath each face. Now you have a conversation starter every where you go. Loosen up, and have some fun.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote