Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #1

1978 31' Sovereign
Durant , Oklahoma
Talking Happy newcomers with a 1978 31' Airstream

What a blessing, finally got an airstream. Indoor plumbing is so neat! This ruff diamond is in need of lots of tlc, but still beatiful to us. It would be wonderful if we could see what it looked like before the blue shag carpet, oversized microwave and redone bedroom.If anyone has pictires of the original interior decor, we would like to see them. I am also interested in learning the history of this unit, and have been researching the significance of the big, red numbers, i.e. Wally Byam club, but am still in the dark. We are very excited and motivated to get this unit into camping shape, and welcome any and all helpful input. Be blessed, Don and Ruth Franks
peacepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby.

The big red numbers are the owners WBCCI membership number. If you plan on joining the WBCCI, you may be able to get the same number if it is not in use.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Don and Ruth!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepal View Post
It would be wonderful if we could see what it looked like before the blue shag carpet, oversized microwave and redone bedroom.If anyone has pictires of the original interior decor, we would like to see them.
One place where you can see some representative interior photos of coaches built in 1978 is the Archives at Vintageairstream.com. You can also watch E-Bay as original sales literature is offered from time-to-time as well. You can also find owner's manuals and service manuals via E-Bay as well as Secretarial Services or Airstream both in Jackson Center, Ohio. You can also find quite a bit of recently released 1970s era Airstream data on the Airstream corporate website at this link.

Quote:
I am also interested in learning the history of this unit, and have been researching the significance of the big, red numbers, i.e. Wally Byam club, but am still in the dark. We are very excited and motivated to get this unit into camping shape, and welcome any and all helpful input. Be blessed, Don and Ruth Franks
The WBCCI membership numbers don't necessarily tell much about the coach to which they are attached. The membership numbers follow the owner rather than the trailer/motorhome so it is more a history of their travel . . . national events attended (caravans or rallys) mostly. If the trailer were a one-owner, for instance, then it would have likely been included in any of the activities associated with its owner's membership numbers - - but if the coach has passed through the hands of multiple owners, it is hard to attach too much significance to its membership numbers.

When joining the WBCCI you can request the numbers currently on the coach. The club office will then check availability for you, and typically if the number has been inactive for at least two years they will re-issue the number to you.

Good luck with your Sovereign!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Welcome - I am from Antlers, OK. Not too far away. I am also looking into joining the WBCCI. Not sure yet. Have you taken her out yet. We went out twice - once for a week and another for a weekender. Loved it - Now I know what I need to look closer at to get her ready for the upcomming year. Again welcome.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #5

1978 31' Sovereign
Durant , Oklahoma
Thanks..

I wanted to express my gratitude for all the replies. We have been away since my first posting, but it is so encouraging to read all this new info. We have not taken her out yet, but have alot of time to restore and polish. There is so much knowledge willingly shared it amazes me. Hope all your travels are excellent memory-makers, and again, thanks.
Don Franks
peacepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Don - I get down to Durant about once a month - If I can be of assistance just let me know - PM me if you need to.

Mel

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Photo search

Quote:
What a blessing, finally got an airstream. Indoor plumbing is so neat! This ruff diamond is in need of lots of tlc, but still beatiful to us. It would be wonderful if we could see what it looked like before the blue shag carpet, oversized microwave and redone bedroom.If anyone has pictires of the original interior decor, we would like to see them. I am also interested in learning the history of this unit, and have been researching the significance of the big, red numbers, i.e. Wally Byam club, but am still in the dark. We are very excited and motivated to get this unit into camping shape, and welcome any and all helpful input. Be blessed, Don and Ruth Franks

Welcome and Congrats!

To find photos you can also search the members list of owners of 1978 Sovereigns, here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/members/list/

There are 3 pages of members with that year & model AS.

Then, if you print out the pages for reference you can go to the photo archives here on the forums and look up the members to see if they have photos posted, here:

http://www.airforums.com/photos/browseimages.php?c=500&userid=

Below is a search from the photo archives with 1978 as the search term:

http://www.airforums.com/photos/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=12218

Hope this helps.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Once you are on the members list click "advanced search" on right to search by trailer year & type.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote