Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Boca Raton , Florida
Smile Happy Holidays This forum is a great gift ...Thank you all

I am a new very proud owner of a 1966 A/S Safari, <Boynton Beach Florida>
It is a really great model and I have repaired and refinished most of it over the past 2 months. Mostly cosmetic so far as it was in rather good condition. I want to finish the last bits and get it on the road ASAP.

I have a few questions that are not covered in any forum I could find, and not in my original manual. If you need a copy let me know.

1. There are two blue, 12 volt wires which enter the fuse box from the lower right.
Mine are disconnected and I am not sure where they go. The rest of the electric seems functional and the converter/charger humms and charges the battery AOK.

2. The fuse box seems quite nice and maybe was replaced? The humming charger will stop if either of two fuse box switches are thrown in the off position. Is this correct or might have the previous owner rewired something?

3. My polarity light <inside back access door> is out...how do I test it?

4. My axle and wheels seem fine but the forum is pretty keen on replacing old. How do I test for a smooth safe ride.

Thanks for any insight you may have. And I am still loking for the one missing part I need a 10" by 22" access door. See you on the road !

Oh yeah, I have some old original switch plates, vacuum break? coper plumbing part and all old cushion patterns which are all coded for simple use to make more. If you need them let me know.

Christopher

1966-safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi Christopher and Welcome to the forums. Congrats on your "New to you" Airstream! I dont know the answers to your questions, just wanted to say Hi. Do you have any pictures you can share? Have a Very Merry Christmas.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Hi Christopher, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your vintage Airstream. Boca Raton . . . I was born and raised in Delray Beach up the road from you. I don't know all the answers to your questions, but I also have a polarity light on top my 1960 breaker box. Your trailer polarity is correct if the bulb is NOT lit. If the bulb glows, you have problems. Check this thread for more discussion if you wish. As far as the wires from the fuse box, I could be very wrong, but I'm thinking the blue were part of my running lights, maybe the brake lights? Hopefully someone else will have better info.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-safari

1. There are two blue, 12 volt wires which enter the fuse box from the lower right.
Mine are disconnected and I am not sure where they go. The rest of the electric seems functional and the converter/charger humms and charges the battery AOK.

They may be for the breakaway switch to the electric brakes.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!
The polarity light will only come on when the city power you are connected to is out of polarity (hot and neutral reversed).

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:49 AM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your vintage unit. Love to see some pictures. Don't know the answers to all of your questions but I give you what I think is the right answers based on my 7 year older trailer. One of my blue wires was for the interior dome lights, never did figure out the other one. Your charger is powered by 110 volt and it makes sense for it to stop humming if the breaker is thrown. No worries there.

Best of luck with the rest of your fixes and hope to see you down the road.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-safari
I am a new very proud owner of a 1966 A/S Safari, <Boynton Beach Florida>
It is a really great model and I have repaired and refinished most of it over the past 2 months. Mostly cosmetic so far as it was in rather good condition. I want to finish the last bits and get it on the road ASAP.

I have a few questions that are not covered in any forum I could find, and not in my original manual. If you need a copy let me know.

2. The fuse box seems quite nice and maybe was replaced? The humming charger will stop if either of two fuse box switches are thrown in the off position. Is this correct or might have the previous owner rewired something?

3. My polarity light <inside back access door> is out...how do I test it?

4. My axle and wheels seem fine but the forum is pretty keen on replacing old. How do I test for a smooth safe ride.

Thanks for any insight you may have. And I am still loking for the one missing part I need a 10" by 22" access door. See you on the road !

Oh yeah, I have some old original switch plates, vacuum break? coper plumbing part and all old cushion patterns which are all coded for simple use to make more. If you need them let me know.

Christopher

So many questions at once! First get a service manual, it will answer most of you questions. The blue wiring for instance is most probably the charge line from the car.

Do you still have univolt? May want to consider replacing it and keepint the fuse panel????? The door will be a tough one but keep checking in the forum (& ebay etc) one will turn up eventually. Option 2 will be to get a different size panel door recut the opening (pain in th @$$ but what can one do). I susspect something may have been "changed".

Getting back to the univolt, they tend to hum, are getting outdated and much better equipment that is easier on batteries are available. Check the forums there are several very good units avaialable for reasonable cost. I got one from Best Conversters (Randy--on this forum) and have been extremely happy with it. He and several other vendors he excellent units availalbe...and they do not hum!

The axel is always a tough one. Check the forums. It the axel is horizontal (or positive) replace it. It is a big fob but not insurmountable. I am disabled and managed (with some encouragement form several forum menbers---thanks Andy & John Hd.. a few others not mentioned...)

Take your time and get it right. The panel door sounds like th toughest one so far. If your furnace & water heatrer had already been replaced you are miles ahead. As I mentioned earlier...an owners manual will show you the circiut diagram so you can either use the fuse box you have or go to NAPA or some other place and set up another panel. I cannot emphasize how much work a manual will save.

Good luck, check the wiring diagram...I bet the blue is from the car to your charging set up.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote