Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
HAllalujah! We got an Airstream!!!!

Greetings folks,
My wife and I just paid for a 1976 31' Sovereign.
The synchronicity of us finding one in our neighborhood, after only the night before discussing an older trailer would meet our needs was SWEET!!
Being the 'Bird in Hand..." for the seller was an additional sweetness.
We will be full-timing Life in our Silver Pod as soon as we move it to our spot. We live in SW Colorado so this Winter will cozy.
Fortunately for us we have a friend who is Tow Savvy, which gives us some time to find the best vehicle to upgrade our Subaru to for towing at our leisure.
looking forward to searhing the resources of this site as I begin getting to know this fine trailer of ours.
Any suggestion regarding neccisties of getting it ready to tow, and towing and setting up are welcome! (actually ANY siggestions are welcome, uh, excfept 'SELL'!!)

thanks for being here,
Sunny
Sunny51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Sunny and welcome to the forums.
This a great place to search for info and ask for advice. I've been lurking and searching and asking since we bought our 62 Bambi a month or so ago

Be careful! it can be addictive. Welcome and I wish you the best with your new purchase. Oh yeah, post lots of pictures!
George
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Oh boy are you ever in a gorgeous part of the world for getting a case of Aluminitus!
I'll leave the stuff of substance up to the rest of the many forum members with all their beaucoup expertise and know-how.
And generosity.
But be sure to keep asking questions, and don't try to wing it on your own too much because there is much to know, and learning from others' experience is what the Forums is all about.
But that tow vehicle you're looking into?
Muy importante.
Happy trails!
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Sunny,

Welcome to the forums and grats on your 'find'. Durango is on my favorite places list and I hope to be passing thru in Sept. on the way back to FL from OR.

As for towing, the condition of tires, brakes, bearings, axles, coupler and frame are all of prime importance. How far will you be towing it? A trailer of your vintage may need new axles and brakes/bearings. in any event, have them checked by a professional trailer shop BEFORE towing it. Don't forget the battery and break-a-way switch which are mandatory for towing in any state.

Also, think weight distributing hitch with anti-sway. Lot's of good product out there. I use the Equal-i-Zer and am most pleased.

Be sure to use the 'search' function to research your questions. Lot's of folks have been thru what you are about to do.

Good Luck!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Sonny,
Congrats to both of you..
1.check to make sure: ur wheel bearings have been recently repacked.
2.likewise, check that your tires are road worthy. (not over 5 to 6 yrs old)
3.check all of ur exterior running lights, brake lights, etc are working.
4.check the ball diameter size requirement for ur trailer.
5.check ur brakes out on the trailer.
6. make sure u have a decent battery onboard the trailer.
7.just before getting underway for ur travel, make sure all the windows are locked, all side compartments are locked, the front door is properly lock for travel, any/all awnings are locked down for travel, ur step is put away for travel, the TV ant is down and, all upper vent opening are closed.
8. use the proper cross over for the safety chains, ur break away pin cable is properly attached to your tow vehicle.
9. make sure ur tires are properly inflated on all vehicles. (trailer and TV)
10 use proper exterior mirrors for traveling on TV
11.use wide arch for making all turns
12.give yourself plenty of distances between other vehicles while traveling
13.I would aviod traveling at night the first time out
14.there may be others with suggestions but, for myself, i didn't want to stop at 13~!!
good luck..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Congratulations from a fellow Coloradoan!

Hey, there is a whole section here on the forums that may give up you some insight both on full-timing and winter living. Lots of good info & tips there...

I have to say one of my all time favorite threads on this entire forum is RubySlipper's Winter Living. It's an oldie, but goodie! Lots of vicarious living in that one when it was posted originally!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:31 AM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hey Durangotangs!

We have a home in Durango and looking to make the move there full-time, if we ever sell our house here in Florida (on the water with 20x50 RV parking if anyone is interested).

We just got our 19 CCD and can't wait to get it out to the 4C's to go exploring. Hope to see see you on the road out there soon! Good luck.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote