Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Greetings from TX Newbie

Hello,

Not quite sure where to begin, but I will start with our desire (wife and myself):

We are former sailors and campers and now live in central TX. We are both near retirement and have have made our tentative plan.

Our desire is to purchase an Airstream (or as comparable as we can afford) and tow vehicle and spend the TX Summer somewhere else less hot (we have kids and grand kids in MI, so that is most likely for a few years).

So, we would be living in the unit for approx. 5-6 months per year.

We cannot afford to start very large or new, and I don't think we need a super size unit (I am a poor retired reverend, etc).

In glittering generalities (or as specific as you dare), how should we begin? There seem to be a million different Airstream and Argosy units and I am confused.

Thanks in advance....

Rev. Jeff and Liz
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

Welcome to the forums Rev. Jeff and Liz, You have started in the right place.

So, What trailer is best for you? That is a tough question for someone else to answer. Spend some time on the forums learning about the trailers and ask lots of questions. The answer should present itself in no time.

Take in a rally if you can and tour some trailers. I see there is one in December in Texas. 7th Annual Blanco Texas Christmas Forum Rally. If it is close to you check it out.

Good luck on your search!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Greetings from a fellow Texan Airstreamer

I'm sure you'll get some great advice here from others with links to pricing on vintage trailers vs condition, different models and their sizes. I looked for a long time and researched what I wanted and then I had to dig deeper into my pocket than I first wanted. Once you decide which model and year span you want and what you can afford to spend, then the hunt is on. There are many factors to consider when buying a used Airstream. One of them is in how much work you want to put into it yourself. Buying one that has been restored and is good to go will cost you more but you get one where the work has been done. You can buy a fixerupper and maybe get a great price but then you'll have to spend more money down the road on things like axles, breaks and batteries. Then again being a retired minister maybe God has one picked out for you that is one of those rare remarkable finds that is in great condition, close by and is being sold at a price that the rest of us dream about.
Good Luck!
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You have found the right place for all things Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome o the forums! Everyone is right, this is the place for info. Research, look around and when you have questions, everyone will be right here to help......

Enjoy your search!

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Rev. Jeff & Liz - Sliveleeper had a great suggestion above - the 7th annual Fourms Christmas rally being held in Blanco State Park, Blanco, TX - maybe 35 miles or so south west of you. Check out the locations & dates of rallies being held nearby and attend one. You'll be more than welcomed, and Airstreamer's love showing off their trailers, so you'll get a great opportunity to check out lots of models & floorplans.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
They are correct! Welcome-I just wanted to remind you '...that the wise old reed bends with the wind.' You once were lost on here, but now you are found....BY US! Welcome and let us remind you- we may all have insurance - but we all ALSO HAVE ASSURANCE !!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
Howdy frjeff, I see that y'all are from Man-Shack. I grew up out there and my grandparents had a house in San Leanna, back when that area was a long way from Austin, and before Adams Extract burned down. I have a 65 Overlander that is a basket case I want to restore when I retire, but in the meantime I went ahead and purchased a new 2008 Bambi and just love it. I have found that the price of used AirStreams in the Austin area can be a little high, as a lot of people are buying them and making roadside resturants out of them. But every once and a while a nice one will show up, just be ready to grab it when it comes along. You need to study up on the different sizes and models, and shop around to know when it is a good deal, and this is the place to due that. Good luck and be sure to go to the Fire House and get some good catfish in the mean-time..
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes, welcome from another Austinite.

I agee, prices in Austin (and Texas in general) seem to be a bit higher than elsewhere. I ended up buying mine from a seller in Atlanta, and he met me in Mobile, AL for the dropoff.

Anyway, welcome, and good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Jump when ready

I looked for 2 years, hoping to spot a deal close to home. Turned out to be 1000 miles away. Got tired of the E-bay thing and found mine off Craig's list
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
hi .. we are in TX too. We just found our AS here in the classifieds. We are total new and we did not have time to research and look but everyone here is very helpful and kind. Good Luck on your search

Our dear friend is a Rev in some town down there .. lol I think it is south of Dilley sheesh can't believe I can't remember
Victorialhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum - It kind of depends on how much time you have before you need it and how much you are willing to spend. I recommend going to the Rally - getting to know other Air Streamers and have a look at the models. Good luck and hope to see you down the road.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Welcome to the forums!! As everyone has said, this is a great place for information. No question goes unanswered or opinion unvoiced. Just remember, we are all experts on our own opinions(lol). That being said, everyone on here is wonderful. I travel alot for work, so I am always on the lookout for units for sale. I also see quite a few, some are good needing a little work and others are far out of reach time and money wise. When I find one, I'll post it here or send you a PM. Do you have a price range?
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Price Range and Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Welcome to the forums!! As everyone has said, this is a great place for information. No question goes unanswered or opinion unvoiced. Just remember, we are all experts on our own opinions(lol). That being said, everyone on here is wonderful. I travel alot for work, so I am always on the lookout for units for sale. I also see quite a few, some are good needing a little work and others are far out of reach time and money wise. When I find one, I'll post it here or send you a PM. Do you have a price range?
Have just begun (and limitedly at that!) to learn floorplans, lengths and asking prices.

For the moment (subject to change, but realistic), I see us in a 18'-25' AS at the present. Our only fairly firm requirement is a bed that we can leave a bed and a dry bath.

We have about a 2 year time line, but if we find something that needs significant work, we would need to buy earlier so as to have ready.

We also need to consider a different tow vehicle as we currently own only a Silverado 1500 with the smaller V8.

So, still lots of learning to do. Our plan is to drop by the rally to learn more first hand.

Budget is limited, but until I see what is selling for what I cannot state a firm top end.

Thanks for all of the input thus far. We'll keep studying, lurking and learning and probably asking tons of questions as time passes.

Blessings,

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I have a 2006 GMC Serria with 5.3 liter 3.73 gears/locker and it does real well with 27 foot overlander. Have not had to pull throught lots of mountainous areas though. Southeast Oklahoma has some mountains but not hard to pull trailer over.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Here is a favorites/Bookmark for surfing Craigslist
in the Texas cities....just type in "Airstream" in
the search phrase box

craigslist: texas classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Welcome to the Forums! You might also consider contacting some of the WBCCI Units & inquire about units for sale. There are several WBCCI Units near you & some of the members are quite elderly & getting out of the camping mode. And, yes, do come to Blanco in December--you'll meet a great group & get tons of ideas.
And, when you find the perfect trailer, consider visiting the Airstream Park in Minnesota--it is lovely & usually cool in the summer.
Victoria
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas
Welcome Fr.Jeff,let me suggest that you and the wife attend the Texas International Ventage Ralley in Conroe, Tx in Feb, 2010. There will be a wide range of Airstreams on hand for you to view and inspect. Some go back to the 50's and up to the 80's along with newer one. Check the Rally schedule for time, date and location. If you make it to Conroe stop by and say hello, Our numbers are 9279 and we have a 1975 31 footer. Learn all the thing to look for and the things to look out for when buying an Airstream. I can speak for experance to take your time and really inspect each AS over yourself carefully, it will save you money and a lot of work. Happy Trails.
dghaas is offline   Reply With Quote