Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Duluth , Minnesota
Greetings from the North Shore!

I’ve been an AF member since 2015 while searching for my 1964 Bambi II though I don’t think I ever got properly activated. It took a bit but I’m now fully activated and consider myself a newbie to the Forums. We searched all over and chased down some crazy possibilities including a search trip that took us to Vancouver Island …not Vancouver, but the Island! A story for another time. We finally found her in Colorado in October of 2018 and brought her home to Duluth on Lake Superior the following spring. Our tow vehicle is a 2012 VW Touareg TDI.

My wife and I are still getting acquainted with her and have been out the past two seasons to places like the Black Hills and several state parks in MN including Itasca State Park, the headwaters of the Mississippi and Blue Mounds St Pk, an amazing prairie park in southwest Minnesota, among others. Our next venture is to Boston, Maine, NH, VT and upsate NY. I’m a complete newbie when it comes to the mechanicals and 57 year technology but have dived in on several maintenance projects like replacing tires, brake drums and the e brakes, rewiring a stubborn porch light and fixing a kitchen faucet (who thought it was ever a good idea for a trailer faucet to have UP be off and DOWN be on?!), and just plain learning how everything works. My Marson rivet tool arrived today so I can try to replace some popped interior rivets and re-secure the long curtain rod over the street side windows. The Forums have been a great source of information, tips and guidance for a nervous beginner.

I’m looking forward to participating and learning as much as I can to keep this little Bambi II going for several years to come. From my following of the Forum threads I’m impressed with the receptiveness of everyone, their willingness to share their knowledge and overall good natured relationships. Thanks for creating this space.
NorthShore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome back to the Forums. The early Bambi trailers are some of the most popular and valuable. You’ll have fun learning the ins and outs of the vintage. Also, when replacing any of the interior pop rivets, they were 1/8” so go back with 5/32” and use the #20 drill bit. I’ve been asked by a friend of mine to help him renovate a 63 Bambi. That should be fun. Keep us posted and have fun.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Duluth , Minnesota
Thanks, Bubba. I also downloaded some good riveting info folks had posted here. Any suggestions on where to find the beige or cream colored rivets to match existing?
Old 08-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I just looked at Hanson Rivets where we get a lot of stuff and didn’t see any. I know some places have white, don’t know about beige. You could get some beige spray paint, stick a bunch of rivets in a piece of styrofoam and spray them, maybe. When I have to replace any interior that pops out, I just use a Q-tip and dab them with some interior matching paint I had made up at Ace to match.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Duluth , Minnesota
Forgot the photo

Sorry if this messes up the thread, but I can't figure out how to edit my first post. So here's a picture of our "64 Bambi II.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi at Lake Superior.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	402825  
Old 08-31-2021, 06:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado, formally from Minnesota (27 years). Our sons moved here, so we did too. But I do miss Minnesota and have been to several of the locations you mentioned above. It is a great state in my view.

I enjoy the vintage Airstream hobby also. We have a 86 Limited that spent most of its years on the north shore of Battle Lake, MN. We have been to the Minnesota Airstream Park near Clear Lake. And in my younger days I ran the Grandma's Marathon as well as the Twin City Marathon.

I bought a 66 Trade Wind 24' there in Minnesota and did a mild renovation on the thing there in Minnesota. It is a bigger trailer than the Bambi 16' of course. I think yours was the last year of the door in a door. And as Bubba L says, the short trailers are more desirable than the longer ones, maybe because they are cute like a beagle puppy. Airstream still makes a 16' trailer.

Here are a couple photos of my Trade Wind just for fun. I trade it for a 75 Overlander 27' that I also renovated. Enjoy working on dirty, smelly old Airstreams during the long, cold winters. Weird, huh?

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1708 Sale Curb Shade-800x600.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	403145   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Gaucho 1-800x600.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	403146  

Name:	1708 Sale Twins 1-800x600.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	403147  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:31 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Duluth , Minnesota
Always nice to connect with fellow Minnesotans. As an avid non-marathoner, I appreciate those that do every June up here for Grandma's Marathon. They run a great race. We really like the door in a door screen door, use it all the time.