Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Greetings from Omaha

Greetings! Thought I'd pop in and say hi and express how glad I am to have found this site. We're looking to buy something and are still a ways away but I'm excited to explore the information from these forums.

While our kids grew up camping in a converted van and then a pop-up, the trailer way of life is new to us. The kids are now gone and I'm getting close to doing what I want when I want. We've been looking at trailers for about a month and get sick every time we do because of the formaldehyde fumes, even when the dealers had the trailers all opened up. Based on what we were reading, we had about given up on the idea when we came across an Airstream deealer.

It was hot and humid this past Saturday in Omaha and the Airstreams were locked and all closed up, the perfect combination for dangerous levels of fumes. I knew nothing about Airstreams and admit, had a bit of sticker shock looking at the invoice while the salesman went to get the keys. Expecting to be totally overcome by the fumes, much to our surprise our eyes didn't water, we didn't get sick to our stomachs and there was only a slight hint of "new car" smell.

While it was hot, we could spend as much time looking around without having to rush out and catch some fresh air. We were totally blown away by the quality. We decided, if we do purchase, Airstream is the way we'll go.
Since this is a big jump up in price compared to what we were looking at, we're thinking of buying the tow vehicle and renting a trailer (not an Airstream, do they rent them?) and taking 10 days and seeing how it feels.

We're looking at a 25 or 27-28. We really want a walk around queen size bed. Looking forward to learning as much as I can from as many of you as possible.

Bob
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Welcome, lots of information in here for you. When you do settle on a model and have questions - there will be lots of people here to answer them for you.

As far as renting, that has been asked here before - use the search option above and type in some key words and you will find the thread.

The classifieds above has lots of deals on used but like new trailers - keep looking there, you may find what you like.

Good luck in finding what you like.....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Bob - we're glad you're here! Keep an eye out for gently used Airstreams as well. Good luck with your research.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the forum...you'll find lots of info on just about any topic, friendly Airstreamers, and tons of moral support here. Suggestions to you as you look and plan:

1) Keep your eyes peeled for a well-treated AS if that is something you might be interested in rather than new...this may help with the "new" sticker shock...they really are "ageless".... It can be difficult to tell the late model years apart without a close look, and you can get some great deals in previously owned rigs...there are classifieds here, too.

2) Consider what you get as a tow vehicle carefully, based on the size and wieght of the AS you plan to go for...

3) And most important of all...ENJOY yourselves as you look into the world of Airstreams!

And Many Happy Trails...
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forum!

Airstreams are really the way to go! We have gone through it all, from VW Bus camping in the 70s to a big 5th wheel in the 90s and lots of things inbetween... We have a restored Bambi and love her truly!

Here is the link to a thread I find has a lot of good ideas and thoughts about what to think about...http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Lots of good information on this website, use the search button and find many answers as well! Good luck on your search!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Best of luck in your search.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. Been spending time searching for a tow vehicle while Cheryl is still concerned about the formaldahyde. I've searched the site and really haven't found a thread that talks about it being a big problem.
I do know it's a very real problem in other brands. Will keep you posted.\
Bob
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote