Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Perry , Iowa
Talking Greetings from "new" Airstream owners!!

Well after tossing up the idea of what "type/brand/age" of camper we should get, this lil jewel just sorta fell in our laps. We have always loved Airstreams and especially the vintage ones but weren't sure we wanted to take on the commitment of restoring one or if we wanted to pay the kind of money for one already restored Then we saw "Lucy" and we were smitten lol. She was single family owned and at a price we couldn't say no to. Now of course she wasn't perfect and needs work like a small area on the rear that is dented, and of course a good polishing, not to mention a whole lot of "updating". Oh and the POs decided to remove the sink in the bathroom and make a custom platformed sleeping area instead of a bathroom (UGH!?!?!?!) But for The $1500.00 we paid for her and the fact that everything else is solid, no leaks, and in working condition we figure she was worth every penny. Oh and the upholstery was all just redone before we bought her. The pics attached are from when we picked her up. You can see the custom sleeping area (again UGH) as well as other interior pics and the exterior side where the "ding/dent" is. I would love feedback on ideas for what should be done with the bathroom as the sink is long gone . I will post a thread in the forum area with more pics and updates as the renovation makes progress! Just wanted to say "HI" and nice to meet all you fellow A/S-ers!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_6938.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	112998   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_6948.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	113001  

Attached Images

1965Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
1965Safari,

Welcome aboard! The trailer look spretty nice except the bathroom (Ugh!). Glad you found the trailer and will spend the needed resources to make her right. Check the classifieds here as there is full interiors that come up for sale (or free) from time to time. Nice see another Michigander Airstreaming.

Good Luck, and we will see you on the road.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome,

Congratulations on the 65. We're glad to have you here with us.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Our girl is named Lucy, also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3435.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	113004   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4371.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	113005  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Just bought a 73 airstream sovereign and was told that there's a known safety issue about their framing separating and will cost 37 hundred bucks to fix. anyone here heard of such a safety issue?
dmand001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Here's you new bathroom replacement. This will be most of what you'll need. And it's currently up for sale. Yes, a 1966 bath will fit a 1965 (the same)

66 Overlander Bathroom - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

For the toilet area, there was a thread from a person that replaced the factory toilet by cutting out the small area around it and used diamond plate and wood flooring, looked very nice.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Perry , Iowa
I saw the bathroom up for sale but not sure how to get it from Cali to Michigan hehehe Thankfully when they did the bathroom customization, they left the shower and toilet so that is all there. I may be able to get by with just getting a sink. Or I may even be willing to try something completely different. I just don't know at this point *sigh* lol
Old 10-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
From 1964 Safari to 1965 Safari, welcome aboard! That bathroom for sale would be a good deal, if you can get it from Michigan. The tub and sink in these trailers is pretty retro cool to my eye. Can't wait to get mine completely done. The rest of your trailer looks awesome!

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
Just bought a 73 airstream sovereign and was told that there's a known safety issue about their framing separating and will cost 37 hundred bucks to fix. anyone here heard of such a safety issue?
What you were told is dead "wrong".

There is the possibility of "rear end separation", that depending on how bad, can cost a considerable amount of money to correct.

However, it in no way, is a safety issue.

Health issue, structural issue, yes, and that's about it.

If it's a shop that gave you that information, pick up your trailer and "LEAVE".

Rarely, if ever, will a non Airstream shop know how to properly correct rear end separation. For that matter, not to many Airstream dealer shops know how to fix rear end separation "CORRECTLY". You can spend a lot of money only to have the problem haunt you, unless the correction is properly performed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965Safari View Post
Well after tossing up the idea of what "type/brand/age" of camper we should get, this lil jewel just sorta fell in our laps. We have always loved Airstreams and especially the vintage ones but weren't sure we wanted to take on the commitment of restoring one or if we wanted to pay the kind of money for one already restored Then we saw "Lucy" and we were smitten lol. She was single family owned and at a price we couldn't say no to. Now of course she wasn't perfect and needs work like a small area on the rear that is dented, and of course a good polishing, not to mention a whole lot of "updating". Oh and the POs decided to remove the sink in the bathroom and make a custom platformed sleeping area instead of a bathroom (UGH!?!?!?!) But for The $1500.00 we paid for her and the fact that everything else is solid, no leaks, and in working condition we figure she was worth every penny. Oh and the upholstery was all just redone before we bought her. The pics attached are from when we picked her up. You can see the custom sleeping area (again UGH) as well as other interior pics and the exterior side where the "ding/dent" is. I would love feedback on ideas for what should be done with the bathroom as the sink is long gone . I will post a thread in the forum area with more pics and updates as the renovation makes progress! Just wanted to say "HI" and nice to meet all you fellow A/S-ers!!!
From your photo's, it appears that possibly the rubber rods in the suspension system, have out lived their purpose, as you should be able to see 2 to 3 inches of the tire, above the top of the wheel.

You can easily check it out yourself, by reading the axle article in the Airstream Central section of this Forums.

Andy
Old 10-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Perry , Iowa
Andy ~ Thanks that info is good to know! We are going to take a closer look now that we have read that article you suggested. Thankfully with the price we paid for her we have some "spending money" to fix her up right. We still have so much to inspect but when we brought her home she towed like a dream. The family we bought her from camped in her regularly and they were really good on any maintenance etc. that was needed. So far we know there are no leaks, the underbelly is in great shape, the floors in all areas are solid. The appliances work even though I am strongly considering updating them as the stove is rusted and pitted All cushions and upholstery was replaced in the last 3 years, except for the HORRID drapes hehehe. All woodwork is solid. All cupboard latches are good and the bins aren't even cracked. The floor is original and is such good shape I am really wondering if we should replace it *sigh* The front window was broken as well as the corner frame seam was broken but that is all in the process of being repaired as we speak. I do have 2 things I am curious about. The first is the original double lights on either side of the front area have popped out of their swivel case...can these be fixed or need to be replaced? Secondly is it possibly to rechrome or powder coat the stove or is is just better to replace? As always I love input and ideas!! I will post more pics later in a new thread documenting the trials and tribulations of restoration HEHEHE! This site truly is amazing and am so glad I found it!! You are all the best!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Generally speaking, parts are not available for appliances that are 45 years old.

Replacing them, is what most owners do.

The bullet light bases were obsolete 40 years ago, but replacement bullet lights are available.

You might check and see what battery charger/converter you have.

The original was huge and was in the left rear corner of the trailer, on the floor, below the closet.

Andy
Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
You have posted this on three different threads and had at least four answers.

That's enough, isn't it?
Old 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
separation

frame separations
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
frame separation

Andy,

Attached are photos of what I think is the frame separation that the RV place has told me that needs fixing. Cost estimate about 37 hundred. 2 heavy duty steel plates to be used in the midsection of the trailer.

Please comment. BTW will be driving trailer to your location as soon asap.

Emil
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

Attached are photos of what I think is the frame separation that the RV place has told me that needs fixing. Cost estimate about 37 hundred. 2 heavy duty steel plates to be used in the midsection of the trailer.

Emil
QUOTE=dmand001;909354]frame separations[/QUOTE]

Not a chance.

The frame and axle mounting plates are pulling apart, because they were not properly welded together every 2 or 3 inches.

Heat the metal, clamp it back together, then add some beads of weld, and that problem is over for life.

That spreading apart is also related to lack of proper running gear balance and/or axles that have rubber rods in them that have given up, which causes the trailer to bottom out when hitting bumps.

Andy
Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

Emil
Emil.

That dealership, must write comedy for television.

No way, what they said.

Read my post as to what caused the problem, and how it's fixed.

Andy
Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
Hello 1965Safari Hope you enjoy your "new toy". If you ever need any professional help....... Woodland, the AS dealer in Grand Rapids is outstanding, in my opinion. Who knows, someday our paths might cross.......We live in Jenison, MI
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote