Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Evergreen , Colorado
Greetings from Evergreen, CO

Hello to you all! We are excited to get to know many of you and I hope to glean from the wealth of information in these forums and all the new and experienced folks that have walked this road before us.

My grandfather was a Carpenter and all-around handy guy and he taught me many skills throughout my childhood. However, I generally only used them on small repairs, room renovations, and basic projects.

Our family journey began when I decided to finish the concrete blank canvas basement in our townhome near Denver,CO. After finishing the project I felt I had stretched my skillsets enough to take on a full home remodel. So we flipped the TH for some profit and After 2 years and a long closing process, where I battled with the bank in a Pre-foreclosure short sale, we ended up purchasing what felt like it would be our forever dream home in Evergreen, CO. (our Instagram handle for the home reno is Our_Evergreen_Home)

My wife and I tore the 4000 sf house down to the studs and rebuilt it while living in it over the course of 2 years. In the covid crisis of 2020 I lost my non-profit job in youth work and began a new conversation with the Mrs. While we loved our life and home, we were both feeling trapped by traditional 9-5-esque jobs that we felt had too much control over our lives, our time, vacation leave, family time, and more. So instead of returning to a traditional job I got my Colorado brokers license thinking that already being 2 investment properties deep, I might be a good fit for the Real Estate investment world.

As I learned more about REI I quickly determined that instead of flipping our Evergreen home, I would turn it into an investment rental in order to start drawing consistent passive income from it. The Mrs. was set on quitting her job and traveling as well, so we hatched a plan to purchase a 5th wheel trailer, rent out the home, and hit the road seeking adventure and more investment opportunities; all while living conservatively off different forms of passive investment and the occasional project income.

I have always loved vintage Airstreams, but when we came up with our vagabond plan, I hadn't thought of the trailer itself as a project or investment. I simply started looking for a 5th wheel that was affordable, could accommodate our little family of 3, and ready to roll. During our search for a trailer an old friend reached out to me and let me know she had an old 1978 25' Airstream Tradewind from her Grandfather, and knowing my penchant for projects, asked if I would be interested?

I did some research, and began to realize the massive undertaking a full reno would be, the new skills I would need and had yet to acquire, and the large (and often underestimated) scale of such a project. BUT I also quickly realized what a great investment it could be... And I love a good opportunity to purchase an asset instead of a liability.

So, after seeing the trailer, feeling the soft floors, and recognizing that it probably had a frame up re-build in it's future, we decided to commit and purchased her for $8,000.

We brought our new family member, Eleanor as she will now be known, home and I immediately started our new project. Over the past week, I have carefully gutted her, saving and labeling any and all the dividers, parts, and appliances that might either be re-used or used as a template when the time comes to rebuild her. Additionally I pulled out the lower half of my interior skins, dropped the grey tank and removed the above sub-floor black tank that was in my rotting rear bath. Then began the process of cutting out the subfloor. Thankfully the frame looks good so FAR.

At this point I am still determining whether I will do the full shell off, or attempt the shell on subfloor replacement. There is rot from the door to the front of the trailer as well as rot in the old rear bath. Any thoughts on this are appreciated .

Thanks for reading our story! I hope to get to know many of you better and look forward to joining the vintage trailer community as our Journey continues to develop! Best wishes and God-speed to All!

The Bossoms
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	181362394_3939466479506111_4571561974341692127_n.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	397626  
TheVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome from another Evergreen Airstreamer!

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome to the Airstream world and congratulations on the Tradewind. Where you’re located, you are surrounded by a lot of Streamers who have renovated vintage Airstreams. Reach out when needed. If your first post is the starting of your reno thread, you’ll get a lot of information as you go along. Good luck and have fun.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Dennis is one that’s knowledgeable.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Welcome from another Evergreen Airstreamer!
So awesome to see experienced folks nearby! Would love to connect, pick your brain and learn, and see your AS if you are ever available
Old 06-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Sounds great! I don't know much about vintage Airstreams, but I'll try to help however I can! My Airstream is in a storage facility down the hill, as I don't have the ability to store it up in Evergreen. If only I could find a covered storage facility in Evergreen!

There are several other Evergreen and Conifer members here with tons of experience, including vintage trailers.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Welcome to the Airstream world and congratulations on the Tradewind. Where you’re located, you are surrounded by a lot of Streamers who have renovated vintage Airstreams. Reach out when needed. If your first post is the starting of your reno thread, you’ll get a lot of information as you go along. Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for the reply and advice!
Old 06-17-2021, 06:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Welcome from Arvada, reach out if you need help.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Conifer; in your backyard so to speak. You wrote a great introduction and thanks for the photo of the vintage 78 Tradewind. Yep, you have a big project but it sounds like you have the skills to complete it.

I enjoy the vintage Airstream hobby in my retirement. Us old grandpas need something to do other than feed pigeons in the park, or watch construction projects. My wife has a 86 Limited 34', I have a 75 Overlander 27', I used to have a 66 Trade Wind 24', and my son has a 69 Globe Trotter 21'. I have all three stuffed into my shop. I would be happy to show them to you if you promise not to laugh too hard. They always need work.

Here is a photo of the Overlander. You can see the similarities to your Tradewind 25'. The Overlander was one model size longer.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1907 Curb-800x600.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	397657  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Evergreen , Colorado
Where do most folks start their reno thread? Do i just change this intro title and start posting updates here, or shuould I start a thread under the specific model trailer? or is their a specific location all reno threads go?
Old 06-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi T Vagabond: Many folks "blog" their renovation project in the Knowledgebase found near the bottom of the Forums page. It is organized by specific models and years. I like this section of the forums as other like minded enthusiasts follow along. Your posts are still listed in "New Posts" section so you keep picking up followers. I like this section as you can document and ask questions about the best way to drop the axles, how to create a new subfloor, best furnace, et al.

I've used the Knowledge Base for some time. Here is a link to my 75 Overlander renovation, or project thread. You could skim through it and see what I mean. Keep in mind it isn't the best project thread on these Forums. But Forum participants were helpful to me, and I'm sure they would be to you also.

David

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f26...al-174266.html
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to AirForums from another Evergreen'r! We are off 73 in Valley Hi - and have a '56 Safari we have completely restored (shell-on) and are former owners of a 1964 GlobeTrotter we also restored. Good luck on your new project - see you on the road sometime!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote