Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #1

Greetings for No. Cal

My wife and I are going down to So Cal to check out a 1976 Caravanner 26'. It looks from the pictures to be in great shape but a first hand look will tell the story. The seller is asking $10,000. I assume that's reasonable all things being equal. Can anyone tell me what specifics to look out for on this model? Looking forward to learning more from the community.

Many thanks,
George
winethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums. The 76 Caravanner is a 25 ft model (bumper to ball). He is a link to some photos of one http://vintageairstream.com/archives...aravanner.html
I really like the caravanners, they are very roomy inside and are often discribed as the party model since they can hold many people inside. The draw back is that the sleeping area is not seperate from the rest of the trailer like it is in my 25 ' Trade Wind. The unit should be in very good condition to be worth $10K. Everything (refrigerator (gas and electric), heater, stove, oven and air conditioner) should work, the floor should be solid (no soft spots) and the axels should be good. Also the body should have no major dents. The tires should be in good condition, the brakes and bearing should have been serviced in the past year and the owner should include a WD hitch with the unit.

Take a look at this document: http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html
It should give you a good idea of what to look at and some of the costs of repairs. The document is a bit dated and the prices listed are a little low.
Take your time when you look at the trailer. Have the owner show you everything and take notes of anything that does not look right.

Good luck with the trailer and let us know how it goes.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote